Lorca: Fans Will Have To Adjust

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Aug 14, 2017.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

Jason Isaacs, who plays Captain Lorca in Star Trek: Discovery, had some words for die-hard Star Trek fans. The actor explained that...

Continue reading...

2. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Ha ha! Truth.............I like him!

3. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Amazing. :lol:

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

@SPCTRE will be along soon with a mic drop meme, and it will be well deserved.

Gonzo, Shaka Zulu, ewoodcourt and 7 others like this.
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Lorca is my Captain.

This week, anyway. ;)

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Typical Slytherin :p

Seriously though, finally.

Gonzo, KennyB, Shaka Zulu and 2 others like this.
  7. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

"There are places obviously where they’ve observed canon to do with things like uniforms and badges and stuff"

Warning for trolling

8. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It sounds as if he knows Trek fans pretty well. I think he may secretly be one.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Adjust or be gone. Sounds about right.

Spot on Isaacs.

RAMA

Gonzo, Vger23, KennyB and 5 others like this.
  10. Ridcully

Ridcully Commodore Commodore

Right on the head!
    That is the way to go Mr Isaacs!

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that was a really assholish thing to say. He was one of the only things I was hopeful about in the show, too. Well, screw him. I have absolutely no respect left for him, and I always thought he was a very solid actor before this and I enjoyed him in most things I saw him. I guess the show is down to the (exterior) Starfleet ship designs and possibly the lead when it comes to things I don't hate about Discovery.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You do realize you're the type of fan he means, right? Who will still watch every episode simply so he can complain about it all? So, really, if that's how you feel about him now, you're prooving his point..... I mean, you hate a show you haven't seen!! Seriously, say that out loud to yourself, just for the fun of it. You hate something you haven't even seen.....

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really think TOS fans will most likely not have a lot of issues with Starfleet officers passionately not agreeing and not displaying a 'Utopian sense of political correctness' - but yeah, TNG era fans will probably lose their s**t (much like they have with the JJ Verse films which DO a GOOD job of recapturing the essence of TOS in many ways.)

I still think the Jury's out as to IF a Starship/Constitution Class appears on the show at some point as to weather or not its 'look' as a whole will be re-imagined and substantially different then how it's appeared in previous incarnations - (and while I would admit to being disappointed were that the case) - it WON'T affect the character interactions; so yeah, it in the end won't bother this TOS fan all that much. ;)

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

You don't have to see something to hate it, especially with media. But, to be fair, I sure as hell "saw" those tumorous abominations they're calling klingons. I also saw the trailers and everything else they've shown. So, I hate a lot of things, all based on what they've shown and talked about.

As for he's talking about, I may see the show but so what? People hate watch things all the time. My watching won't support the show, and its Star Trek. The fact that they've made a version of Trek worse then the 09 movie (as much as I love Beyond, I'll always hate ST09) or literally anything the TV show ever did makes it a must watch just for people like me who have a lot of morbid curiosity. He's shitting on fans of a show because they don't like the name being slapped on some crap sci fi show that is no more Star Trek then it is Guardians of the Galaxy or Doctor Who. His opinion might piss me off, but its also the meaningless opinion of a completely clueless person.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

“I don’t mean to sound irreverent when I say I don’t care about the die-hard Trek fans,” said Isaacs. “I only ‘don’t care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.”

So. Awesome.

Gonzo, Campe, Jedman67 and 9 others like this.
  16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Kind of harks back to Shat's "get a life" quip... :lol:

Gonzo, indranee, Borg and 7 others like this.
  17. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Wait. He said this Star Trek is going to be different? :lol:

[​IMG]

Jedman67 and Kevin Wolff like this.
  18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I really like his attitude. As someone who didn't really know Isaacs before his involvement with Discovery, I must say that I've become a fan even before seeing him perform. From interviews and clips it seems like he has a great sense of humor and a very grounded view of how the franchise and the business works.

Gonzo, ewoodcourt, Campe and 5 others like this.
  19. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG]

Gonzo, Kativa, ewoodcourt and 17 others like this.
  20. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've said this before, but I think from a dramatic storytelling perspective, TOS holds up much better to time than does TNG.

IMHO, I find that even VOY is more watchable today than TNG, I think because with Voyager and its crew being a ship that was basically a guest in the Delta Quadrant, the writers and showrunners probably realized that the crew didn't always have the right to be preachy to the races who called the Delta Quadrant home.

The whole "our society has evolved past that" mantra that we heard over and over again on TNG got a little old, and the way that the TNG characters used themselves as the moral standard when sizing up a race they just met was all just a little too thick, oozing with self-righteousness. I think that preachiness and self-righteousness is a product of its time (the late 1980s and early 1990s).

It seems with TNG, beacuse of this "utopian society that Earth had become, the writers treated the crew as the moral authority of the Alpha Quadrant, rather than unwilling guests like Voyager. And as the moral authority, they seemed to feel quite entitled to pushing their own values on others -- which was quite the American and Western World thing to do in the 1990s when it came to interacting with the rest of the world. The western world was about to win the cold war, so they felt that their way was the best way -- an idea that was reflected in TNG stories.

TNG did not necessarily reflect the "Democracy and Capitalism is #1!!" idea, but rather it reflected the feeling in the 1990s that the western world knew best. That came across on the show as as "the Federation always knows best".

And for that reason, it feels dated. You'd think the mid-1960s TOS would be similarly preachy, and if it were made 5 to 7 years earlier, it might have been. However, America started to look at itself through less rose-colored glasses in the mid to late 1960s until the mid-1980s, and realized they are not necessarily the highest standard that the rest of the world should strive to attain...

...And that idea spilled over into the writing of TOS, in as much as Kirk et al. realized they could learn some moral lessons from the races they met. Not all of the time, but relatively more often than TNG did. In TNG, Picard et al. were usually the teacher of morals rather than the learner of morals.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017