Looking for an episode - Medieval

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JCL, Feb 20, 2018.

1. JCL

JCL Cadet Newbie

Hello,

I created this account just to see if anyone can help me find if the following information matches any Star Trek episode (from any of the series), if not any sci-fi show from the 80's and 90's.

- The group lands on an alien planet, the humanoids on the planet are excited because they think that people will feel right at home. They tell the group that they have been observing Earth and have recreated what they saw. When everyone walks around they find that everything is model after medieval times on Earth. Turns out that based on the alien planet's location and how light travels, they had been observing medieval Earth.

Additional Note: My husband swears that Jonathan Frakes is the one that says that the humanoids have been looking at Earth's light from medieval times. However, this is not a Next Generation episode.

Does it sound familiar to anyone?

2. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Squire of Gothos TOS season 1

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Squire_of_Gothos_(episode)

From the episode:

(He goes back to his playing)
    DESALLE: We've lost contact with the ship, Captain. We're trapped here.
    TRELANE: I can't tell you how delighted I am to have visitors from the very planet that I've made my hobby. Yes, but according to my observations, I didn't think you capable of such voyages.
    JAEGER: Notice the period, Captain. Nine hundred light years from Earth. It's what might be seen through a viewing scope if it were powerful enough.
    TRELANE: Ah, yes. I've been looking in on the doings on your lively little Earth.
    KIRK: Then you've been looking in on the doings nine hundred years past.
    TRELANE: Oh, really? Have I made an error in time? How fallible of me. Oh, I did so want to make you feel at home. I'm quite proud of the detail.
    KIRK: General Trelane.
    TRELANE: Retired, sir. Just Squire Trelane now. And you may call me Squire. Yes, I rather fancy that.
    KIRK: For what purpose have you imprisoned us here?
    TRELANE: Imprisoned? Nonsense. You're my guests. You see, I just finished my studies of your curious and fascinating society. You came by at the most propitious moment. I want to know all about your campaigns, your battles, your missions of conquest.

3. JCL

JCL Cadet Newbie

See that's what I thought but the Squire of Gothos episode has dark undertones from the beginning. The episode I imagine has everyone walking around happily observing thing. There's a stone bed and a courtyard.

I think I may just be confusing the away teams reaction to the planet with the reaction that other teams have had in other episodes/shows. Like how happy everyone was to explore the M planet in the Next Generation episode "Justice" before Wesley tramples the flowers.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Confusing it with Bread and Circuses?

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

My first thought was also "The Squire of Gothos."

But, there was a TNG episode where Data crashed on a late medieval/early renaissance planet and had android amnesia, but those guys weren't at all aware of Earth. It's the first TNG episode which springs to my mind that had a medieval feel at all. There's also "Errand of Mercy" where (SPOILER ALERT if you haven't watched much TOS) the natives were actually non-corporeal super-beings who maintained a humanoid medieval illusion in order to facilitate communication with humanoid visitors.

Honestly, I don't think there is one episode which is as you've described. I suspect you may be conflating several stories and mixing them with some of your own original creativity.

Sounds like it might be a fun episode, though.

--Alex

6. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That TNG episode is season 7 "Thine Own Self."

Albertese likes this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps the stone courtyard and happy people you're thinking of are from Errand of Mercy?

8. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Thank you. I half wanted to look it up myself, but couldn't be bothered.

--Alex