Spoilers Loki season one discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

The whole point of the show is about what makes a Loki a Loki, having the villain be anyone but Loki doesn’t make sense.

2. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loki had one agenda since learning what the TVA is: taking over the TVA. It makes sense that one Loki actually succeeded and is now pulling the strings.

The Doctor likes this.
  3. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It just occurred to me variants could be a way to recast Tony Stark or Steve Rogers if they ever want to bring things back to the status quo with cheaper actors.

More interestingly it could explain how we went from Terrence Howard Rhoadey to Don Cheadle. Just a variant being removed and the timeline reset.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I don't think the cost of the actors is the issue here. It was the fact the those characters naturally concluded their story arcs and their respective actors were ready to move on.

But you're right that would be an interesting way of reintroduce them in some form. But I don't think we're anywhere need that idea. The MCU hasn't even dug into the Fantastic Four or mutants! Along with all of the other characters they're planning to introduce in phase 4.

Ooooh! I like that very much.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I agree. And I think the TVA's actions feel evocative of trans erasure. But I also think Marvel is tentative about being explicit about that.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Read a page with all the easter eggs from this episode.....

If it isn't Kang I'm suprised. We know he'll show up for Dr Strange 2.
    *EDIT* Thanks Turtletrekker for fact checking me. I am in fact an idiot. Kang will show up in Ant-Man 3.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

We do? We know he'll be showing up in Ant-Man 3, but Doctor Strange?

8. Mage

Christ...I messed up. Yes, Ant-Man 3. My bad.....

9. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

It does seem strange to introduce him so far ahead of Ant-Man 3 unless he shows up somewhere else sooner.

10. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It also seems strange to "randomly" introduce him in the final hour of a 6 (ish) hour story where there's been zero reference or seeding of him anywhere. That's just poor storytelling. My money's not on Kang, but someone or something more personal to Loki, including a variant of himself.

The same reasons I kept laughing at the odd Mephisto hopes in WandaVision. You just don't randomly pull people in at the very end because a few comic book reader will know who he is.

Masiral and 1987SpaceGuy like this.
  11. The Nth Doctor

Like I've said before, I expect a Loki variant will probably be the man behind the curtain but I also expect Kang will be revealed to be operating from the shadows as seen in the post-credits scene.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Usually the first time you introduce a villain there's very little about said villain. If it is Kang and if he did indeed set up the TVA; that's pretty much all you need to know. In going forward I'm sure they'll integrate more from the actual comic books about the character into the MCU.

I do find it interesting that they chose Ant-Man 3 as a main vehicle for Kang the Conqueror, as in the comics he was first introduced as a villain for the Fantastic Four and then became a protagonist in The Avengers storylines.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    LaxScrutiny likes this.
  13. Mage

I see where you're coming from. But.......
    The finale is supposed to change a lot for the MCU. Perhaps his role in Ant-Man will be something that's going to be build up to, starting with Loki.

14. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't think of a time where the villain hasn't been introduced in the first act of a movie or show. Just going through Marvel movies... is there even 1?

15. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure someone will say "The Avengers" but it's not the same thing. Knowing there was a man behind the man doesn't change the fact that Loki was the villain in the film.

Introducing a new character 85% of the way through the story as the real villain make no sense, which is why my money's on an older / variant Revana. Note: This does not mean that he can't have a mid-credits / post-credits appearance, just like Thanos. (It's not like episode 5 wasn't full of Kang references after all.)

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The FF faced Rama Tut. The Avengers faced Kang. I'm not sure at the time Stan, Jack or anyone else intended them to be the same person.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The whole thing has been filled with references to Kang, his girlfriend is even one of the main characters.
    Not in the Marvel stuff, but that doesn't mean it can't happen, especially if this is just an introduction for a character who is going to go on to get a bigger role later.
    However, I will admit it being another Loki does make a lot more sense for the story being told here.
    The only reason I ever thought Kang was because of all of the references and easter eggs related to him. It feel kind of weird to have all of that in the series, but then not actually have him show up in some form.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  18. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

None of which most people would recognise. I've been reading Marvel Comics for 42 years and I didn't know who Alioth was or what Qeng was.

19. The Nth Doctor

I rewatched the first five episodes ahead of tomorrow's finale. A few things stood out that I didn't pick up on last time:

The TVA is awfully Earth-centric. Aside from Lamentis-1 and Asgard, everything we see takes place on Earth in various time zones and the only references to any other planets are in the tickers. I suppose that's to be expected (and not even from a budget standpoint since the show took a page from Doctor Who by using a quarry for Lamentis-1), but one thing did stand out as unusual: The orientation video Miss Minutes narrated when Loki first arrived ended with a spinning Earth globe as part of its logo. I'm sure it doesn't actually mean anything but I do find it curious.

Considering how the season has played out regarding the true nature of the TVA and what we expect to find out in the finale, I love that Loki called the TVA an illusion in the very first episode.

I don't actually expect an answer here, but I found myself wondering during "Journey Into Mystery" how anyone knew Aolith's name. I'm sure Classic Loki and the rest of the Lokis heard it from someone else who was there before them and the same happened with them and so on, but how did its (her? he?) name original reach the ears of the end-of-time void denizens? It's not like it goes around introducing itself before annihilating everything from existence. "Hi! My name is Aolith! Nice to meet you! I'm going to annihilate you now!"

This might be nothing but considering Mobius gave Loki his Variant jacket came from packaging that suggests mass production (and B-15 knew what was going to be on it) seems to indicate that Loki isn't the first variant the TVA has (openly...considering their own actual existence) utilized variants for operations. Or perhaps that jacket was a not-so-subtle clue from the man from behind the curtain that they're all variants?

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

We did see a variant Skrull in the first episode.