Localized Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by valkyrie013, Oct 5, 2020.

1. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, just thinking while reading, Star Trek does okay, but not great overseas, especially the movies. So had a thought, There are shows that have localized "Spinoffs" as it were. Life on Mars was in the UK, then we did a localization with our own (US) version. Designated Survivor, Korean version.
    So just thinking, could paramount sell the show to say, China, or India and they make a localized language version with a chinese crew, or Indian crew on there own adventures?
    Some talk on here on representation of other nationalities in Trek, just give them there own ship, and with Cannon, there either in there own reality, or paramount gets to OK stamp ideas and be in Prime.

Thoughts?? could this work?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Would depend on the economics more that anything. With the massive differences in some cultures, would it really be “Star Trek”?

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I think I would kind of like to see a Bollywood version of Star Trek. More out of curiosity than anything else. Here's an interesting video. Hollywood vs. Bollywood. Some actors in India act out the differences between the two.

I'd say I think an anime version of Star Trek would work too... but even if it were intended for Japan, it would come right back to America as a dub. So that would almost be like Star Trek for an "American" Market, just indirectly.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see bizarro Trek's from other countries.

5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a Turkish version that someone posted on this bbs a while ago.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

There might need to be some significant changes in how Starfleet operates, based on cultural expectations of just how such a space navy --I mean, civilian space exploration agency-- and its personnel would behave and run things. It might end up being too hard to reconcile with "Prime" Trek.

Kor

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And that is what I would like to see, what kind of cultural differences would be in the show!

9. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you are curious check out the Finnish movie star wreck ;)

F. King Daniel and NCC-73515 like this.
  10. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

They had amazing shots of the E!

jackoverfull likes this.
  11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

How would they work in the whole Federation is a metaphoric stand-in for furtive and ceremonious American imperialism thing?

The Wormhole likes this.
  12. jackoverfull

exactly. Be aware that there are two versions of the movie, the one with proper trek ship is not the imperial edition.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the bootleg ship designs of the Imperial Edition suit the movie better.

jackoverfull likes this.
  14. jackoverfull

It’s just not the same for me. A huge part that I loved of that movie is that it had some of the best battle scenes in Star Trek, especially if you think that they did it in the early 00s, with plenty of beauty shots of the sovereign and constitution refit...not to mention that the b5 stuff looked better than in the actual series!

The bootleg versions work fine in context, but they’re really not the same.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The issue with a localized version is cost. SciFi shows are expensive: you have to build most everything, so does a localized version of a show stand enough of a chance of making a profit?

jackoverfull likes this.
  16. jackoverfull

precisely. And while CGI costs have dropped substantially doing proper SF sets is as expensive as ever.

Perhaps in s few years, though, with widespread cheap 3D printing and easily done virtual sets...