LHCb

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Dryson, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Dryson

Dryson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LHCb discovers a new type of tetraquark at CERN

The LHCb collaboration has observed an exotic particle made up of four charm quarks for the first time.

The LHCb collaboration has observed a type of four-quark particle never seen before. The discovery, presented at a recent seminar at CERN and described in a paper posted today on the arXiv preprint server, is likely to be the first of a previously undiscovered class of particles.

https://home.cern/news/news/physics/lhcb-discovers-new-type-tetraquark-cern

The more particles that are discovered means that more exotic sources of energy are out there, just waiting to be discovered.

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

Charming.

StarCruiser likes this.
  3. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But not too strange!

StarCruiser likes this.
  4. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Vice Admiral Admiral

The CERN article is more interesting.

https://lhcb-public.web.cern.ch/Welcome.html#Tcccc

Any particle that is not forbidden will eventually be detected given enough time - so I expect there will be bottom, top, strange, up, and down versions of this tetraquark.

This one appears to have a combined mass almost exactly equal to the sum of two types of D0 mesons (which is also a possible decay path) so perhaps it's not a true tetraquark? D0 mesons consist of a charm and anti-up quark pair rather than the charm anti-charm quark pair in a J/Psi meson -- it's of interest to aficionados of such things, apparently.

I'm not envisaging any potential as an energy source seeing as such particles are unstable and require a much larger expenditure of energy to produce than their intrinsic mass-energy.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    StarCruiser likes this.
  5. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

Large Hadron was just a consolation prize for the death of the superconducting supercollider.

Now, this design reminds me of particle beam weapons, just underground.
    I’d like to see a port to allow the beam to shoot up for atmospheric research, chip sat or starwisp propulsion, etc.

I wonder if upward super bolts might be a vector for virus fountaining...