"Lessons" - Picard in love!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by spoonunseptium, Dec 26, 2008.

1. spoonunseptium

spoonunseptium Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I haven't seen this episode before, but after watching several episodes of Kirk falling in love with various women, I've decided that I like Picard's romance waaay better. I mean, I like any romance better than Kirk's, but seeing this episode just sealed the deal.

He's so sweet and cautious, and worries about his crew's reactions!

and I love the lady, can't remember her name, but she's really cool.

Although, somehow I wish she would have died in the storm. The way it ended was just a little sour, you know...would have been more romantic, more sad the other way. It would have made her more of a hero.

What do you think?

2. Evil_Kirkneivel

Evil_Kirkneivel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Glad to hear someone else really appreciating this episode. It's a great one - one of my favorites - although it doesn't seem to get on a lot of people's favorites list.

The actress is Wendy Hughes. She's a leading Australian actress. I think Patrick Stewart was rapt at getting a chance to work with someone who, like him, had a strong dramatic background before Trek. In any event, the chemistry between them is excellent.

My review of this episode is here.

3. J47

J47 Commander Red Shirt

This is one of my all-time favourite TNG 'sodes. It's very touching and I just love the musical interlude.

4. Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Lessons" is a fantastic character piece for Picard. It does an excellent job of making the point that having a romantic relationship with someone who is in your direct chain of command is exceedingly difficult. The many pitfalls of such a romantic entanglement between a captain and one of his officers are shown in Picard's romantic relationship with Lieutenant Commander Daren. In my opinion, this episode more than Beverly walking out at the end of "Attached" or the failed marriage and divorce in the alternate timeline of "All Good Things" was the death knell of any canon P/C relationship. The very same pitfalls of fraternization would have happen in a P/C romantic relationship. Picard makes it very clear in the end of this episode that he personally CAN NOT handle placing his lover in harms way.

Warmest Wishes,
    Whoa Nellie

5. warriorsfan

warriorsfan Admiral Admiral

My problem with it was when Picard said that Starfleet had no rules against Captains getting romantically involved with other officers. Really? Starfleet has no rules whatsoever against officers getting romantically involved with a subordinate directly under their command?

If they don't, then they're stupid, and we find out later in the episode why every branch of the military today has rules against fraternization with those under your command...it compromises your judgment and affects your command decisions.

6. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I always liked this ep and thought Wendy Hughes as Neela Darren was sexy as hell. She's gorgeous and smart, so it's no wonder Picard fell head over heels for her. I also like that he opened up enough to explain the "magic flute" from Inner Light, a rare thing for Picard to do. -- RR

7. Commander Rabbit

Commander Rabbit Commander

That's one of my favorite episodes, too. I especially love the scene in the jeffries tube.

8. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Wendy Hughes is a total hotty... the scene with her and Beverly in sickbay... OMG... you could just tell Beverly wanted to break the claws out. :D

9. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I echo the comments here already. IT was all very 'Picard', very dignified right to the end.

10. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Greatly underrated episode; one of my favourites of the season and probably in my top 20-25 for the series. Wendy Hughes is great (as usual) and it was terrific to see some followup to the superlative "The Inner Light". :bolian:

Someone used to have a hilarious av of Beverly's eyes shooting laser beams at Nella. :lol: Unfortunately I can't remember who it was.

Edit: It was Scatta. :bolian:

11. BolianAuthor

^

Seeing Neela and Beverly in the same room together was awesome... two total uber-hotties, side by side. :D

12. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I like this episode, too. For a long time it seemed that this episode had a pretty bad rep but I'm glad to see that it's gained popularity. I think there are loads of nice moments in this episode. One of the things they do in this episode that they don't do elsewhere, and that I think is really effective, is have the open communicators on the planet so that Picard can monitor what's happening from the bridge. I really like the tension in that scene. I wish they had done it more often do highlight his concern for his crew down below and to show his isolation.

I also like in this episode, the predicament that Riker gets into with Darren's request since he knows about her and Picard, but it ends well enough.

13. BolianAuthor

They also did a lot of that when Riker and Troi were undercover on Mintaka III. I thought those scenes were effective as well.

14. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd forgotten that. Thanks for reminding me. :)

15. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Yes, this is a great character-builder for Picard. Two notes: I loved that they brought recalled the plot and music from 'The Inner Light" and I laugh everytime I see Stewart blowing into the flute that's being fingered by someone else. He almost cracks up.

16. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

Oh god, I must learn to get my mind out of the gutter. Good lord.

17. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

When this episode first aired when I was in school, a friend of mine's boyfriend (who was studying music and was not a Star Trek fan) commented that he really liked this episode a lot, particularly the musical segments. This took me aback a little: an episode like this that appealed to the non-fan? Such things are rare indeed.

Looking at it again fairly recently, I can't help but feel a little warm and giddy inside during the warm and cuddly moments. It's such a sweet episode. :D

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Wendy Hughes has an extensive background in stage theatre and moved on to be a leading lady in some epic Australian movies but one of her early TV guest spots was as a comedy nude scene (involving a bathtub) in our long-running prime time TV soap opera, "Number 96" in 1975.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I hate this episode, it's on my "will never watch again" list. It's virtually non-canon as far as I'm concerned.

20. el_gerardo

el_gerardo Ensign Newbie

Does anyone know the chord(s) that she played in the arpeggio in the Jeffries tube? I'm kinda a music nerd, but i never learned piano.

Also, hello everybody. :lol: