Less than a year away + we know nothing about this film/ No marketing

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by VOODOOXI, Oct 6, 2015.

1. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

The level of secrecy on this film is amazing when one considers the entire script synopsis of ST 09 was leaked years before the films debut. We at least had a vague idea about Star Trek Into Darkness at a similar point in production. Hell, at this time in it's production J.J. Abrams Star Wars: The Force Awakens had a trailer out 13 months before the films debut that set the world on fire. For Star Trek's 50th anniversary not even a peep.

Considering that this is Star Trek's 50th Anniversary one would think the publicity machine would have been up and running by now. This doesn't exactly give me a good feeling about the film and more importantly about what Paramount thinks of it's franchise. Why isn't Paramount involving William Shatner, George Takei and Patrick Stewart (just to name a few) to celebrate Star Trek's 50th? Point being there is so much they could do to celebrate such a major milestone and they are doing nothing.

I hate to say it, but it seems like everything about this film is being rushed and even the movie gossip sites like AICN, Latino Review etc, either aren't that interested in it or at the very least are lukewarm about it.

Granted, you can't compare popularity Star Wars to Star Trek (or anything else for that matter) but Disney's TFA marketing campaign to this point has been masterful. The Star Trek 50th Anniversary to this point has been nonexistent.

I'm starting to wonder if some people at the studio even know they have a Star Trek film coming out next year?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Less than a year away + we know nothing about this film/ No market

There have been set photos, press conferences, interviews with the cast. When they kick it into high gear, there's no doubt everyone'll know about Star Trek Beyond and Trek's 50th anniversary.

3. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

<yawn> This old thing again? I'll start worrying if we don't hear anything before the first of the year.

You have to remember, Star Wars has Disney behind it, which in 2015, is the #2 studio ($1.4 billion) behind Universal, who has had an amazing year ($2.3 billion). Paramount is hanging out down at #5 ($563 million). Not too shabby, but Paramount has been hurting a little bit of late (not having anything to do with Star Trek Into Darkness) so they're probably saving the marketing blitz a little closer to release than right now.

Plus, The Force Awakens is the first Star Wars film in 10 years. Its a little unfair to compare those two.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

There's nothing a bit unusual about them not doing publicity this far out.

5. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm loving this secrecy. This reminds me Star Trek II. I knew nothing about the plot, I only know that Montalban was in the movie and when I saw Spock die, my friends and I were surprised and we cried.

I believe that Paramount is preparing something for next year. Maybe they release a trailer at the end of the year but they must continue to post some pictures, clips, photos behind the scenes, in order to maintain and Increase everyone's curiosity.

It is expected to have some teaser at the Dubai International Film Festival in December.

6. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Its the Doctor Who 50th anniversary all over again. People were complaining a full year ahead of time that there were no fireworks going off over the the River Thames.

And that sort of thing went on all year long. :rolleyes:

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

One year away and we need to know, what exactly? Film marketing has to operate a certain way and studios won't spend money they don't have to on marketing that the general audience either won't see (timing of trailers for best return) or won't remember. Good grief, I can hardly remember the trailers I was interested after I've seen the movie.

Marketing is a delicate and fragile thing. Too soon and people forget. Too late, and there isn't enough excitement.

8. VOODOOXI

I guess, but there is zero buzz about this film. This movie is very important for the franchise. I hope they pull out all the stops.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is no incentive for Paramount to actively promote the movie while filming is still underway. Only the fans care this far in advance, and we have set photos to keep us busy.
    Paramount won't have to start "manufacturing" news until filming has wrapped.

11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

You know, it could be generating massive amounts of pre-release publicity and online chatter a year before release...like Fantastic Four. ;)

12. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

We didn't know anything about Ep7 until what...7-8 months out?

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

We still don't have a full "story" trailer for Star Wars VII and most of the material that has been released is rumored to come from the first third of the movie. So I guess, but the OP's definition, all Star Wars fans should be worried that the Studio is not interested in the new film.

Anywho, as King Daniel pointed out, there has been a decent amount of marketing for a film that is still in production, so while some armchair studio execs might disagree, most fans are not worried that somehow Paramount doesn't "care" about this film or the 50th anniversary.

14. VOODOOXI

Um, there was a Star Wars trailer released last Thanksgiving. That's 13 months away from the films release. So to say there was nothing until 7 months out is wrong.

15. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

But, what did that Thanksgiving Star Wars trailer really tell us?

- There was a Stormtrooper with dark skin.
    - A desert world seemed to be the focus of much of the action. Was it Tatooine?
    - There was a droid that rolled around on a ball.
    - Stormtroopers got a makeover.
    - A young girl flew a speeder.
    - There were new X-Wings that someone who we think is important is flying one of.
    - A hooded guy had a broadsword lightsaber.
    - The Falcon was back.

Again, there's a HUGE difference between the next chapter in a saga that hasn't really been on the big screen in ten years and a movie that just happened to have its predecessor a few years ago. Even if this is the 50th anniversary of that series. Again, you cannot compare the two. Again, I put faith in the marketing people at Paramount. They are spending millions on this movie. They will treat it right.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Wars is what, about ten weeks away from its opening? Now I don't live a hermit's life, but I haven't seen half the publicity I thought I'd see for that movie by now.

Trek will be fine. It's still too soon. Besides, I think anything done around the time the publicity for SW is turned up to eleven will be lost in the noise. (Not to mention for the weeks after.)

Further, fiftieth anniversary of Trek or not, Paramount probably doesn't expect STB to make too much more (maybe about the same, doubtful less) than ST09 or STID did, and they will treat it like that kind of movie in its publicity. I think everyone would be pleasantly surprised, probably shocked, if STB reached $300 million or more domestically. To that end, I honestly think any "bump" from the fiftieth anniversary is problematic at best, and that consideration would affect the publicity machine.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  17. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

More secrency than when Abrams was directing? I don't think so
    The biggest thing we got the other time were the on set pictures of the last scene where uhura and spock fight against khan. The speculations were rampant!
    This time you get the pictures of the alien Boutella plays, the new uniform and Quinto teasing with a picture of Spock where you see blood on his hands (and he already said he spends more screen time with mccoy than kirk)
    To some, the omaze videos too are a hint of how the characters interact.
    The lucky winners went on set and one of them even was part of a scene.
    Of course they can't say too much but the reports say that from what they saw the movie is good

http://blog.omaze.com/chaperoning-the-star-trek-experience/

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Oh. Well, I guess you're right. Not seeing a teaser 11 months out = FLOP.

19. VOODOOXI

I understand the film is a fairly long way off and I'm not saying I need to know specific plot points, but I would have thought the film would have a bit more buzz around it at this point. As I said before, I hope Paramount gives this film + the 50th anniversary the attention they deserve.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What sort of buzz do you want?