Les Moonves reiterates DSC's early fall release

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by RAMA, May 4, 2017.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

@miquai: "We have #StarTrekDiscovery coming in the beginning of the fall." —Leslie Moonves on @cbs All Access, #MIGlobal

@miquai: .@CBS "We couldn't afford to do #StarTrekDiscovery at the quality of the show without @netflix's help." —Leslie Moonves, @cbs CEO, #MIGlobal

@miquai: .@CBS "#StarTrekDiscovery, we could have put anywhere....There was a bidding war....They have a very loyal audience." —Leslie Moonves, #MIGlobal

OpenMaw likes this.
  2. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

Ironic words from the CBS executive who is rumored to hate Star Trek so much that he ordered a bulldozer to be driven through the Enterprise sets while Doug Drexler was still standing on them.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Funnily enough, Drexler never mentioned that in his blog. Probably because it never happened.

4. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

Really? You must have missed that one on Drexfiles.com.

Don't worry, I'll wait while you look it up.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Why don't you look it up for me since you seem to think you know what you're talking about.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well rumors are.. Rumors

7. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

/s

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

He doesn't hate Star Trek - at the time he cancelled it, the ROI wasn't good, and it had been on the air for 18 straight years.

As soon as someone showed him a way they could leverage Star Trek to promote a media area CBS wants to get into - and made a deal where the show has paid for itself and is probably going to be making CBS a profit BEFORE the first episode airs he was: "Beam me up."

CBS doesn't make Star Trek out of the goodness of their hearts or because someone believes in GR's "Vision(™)" [whatever that is/was - hell ask 100 Star Trek fans what GR's "vision" was and you'll get 110 different answers] - they make Star Trek to promote CBS and make a profit.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  9. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

can not wait for STD

10. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering the fact Drexler shut down Drexfiles several years ago and it does not appear that the Wayback Machine has much if anything archived from that page, it would be nice to see a source on this from you. That's a pretty big accusation you're making there.

11. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Well I searched "Star Trek Les Moonves bulldozer" which led to this link https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/what-is-currently-being-done.98076/ which led to this link https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/rumors-of-more-enterprise.96604/#post-3108503 which led to this link https://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/the-fall-of-rome/
    But still, I dunno. It's a business. Sometimes a dumb business decision can have nothing to do with what someone's actually making. He's probably still an asshole though.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Much ado about nothing. Sets generally aren't kept. No one was run over. It wasn't Drexler who tried to salvage sets.

Trekkies often draw very simple conclusions, ie: sets destroyed, show canceled, the ceo must hate trek, when that's likely not the case. In fact, if you were to hate Moonves for canceling Enterprise you'd have to love him for bringing a new show back and putting so many resources into it.

RAMA

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Someone wake me when CBS decides on a release date, or gives us something worth talking about...

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well, the ceo stating the premiere time for Discovery is fairly significant in the light of the mass panic on social media. There's literally a mass panic going on.

Interestingly, there appears to be a notion that there is no information coming out whatsoever, when as the TrekFM's podcast correctly states, there has been a steady stream of information and announcements all along. Quite a few bits of information can be gleaned from Twitter and interviews as well as prepared press releases, which continue to give us context for the casting.

If anything there has been many times the usual information coming out than for any trek show. DSC was the first trek show ever to have a trailer to announce filming!!

Would I like some designs and trailers? Absolutely. But unfortunately, lots of people don't understand TV production, and this period from January to now hasn't created a lot of usable promotional material just yet, and they were ironing out a few issues including a new fx house. So it'll all come soon enough.

RAMA

15. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Are you sure you mean "literally"?
    ;)

lawman likes this.
  16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ok maybe just a microcosm of a mass panic. I've never seen anything like it though.

17. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

John Eaves said it all. I guess he's just another one of those "Trekkies [who] often draw very simple conclusions".

In other words if for some reason Netflix bails, CBS will drop DSC like a hot potato.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

That changes nothing. More was saved from Enterprise than most shows, it's relative. The auction to me was the symbol of one period coming to an end, it was sad, but some fans got to have a piece of it. Other shows save nothing.

Netflix is tied in pretty nicely. It's star trek shows are consistently top "rated" and it actively sought to bid on DSC because of this.

RAMA

Campe likes this.
  19. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's certainly what that passage you just quoted reads like, yes. This is what happens when a show is cancelled, they sell what they can and demolish the rest. Star Trek had a much grander send-off than most in this regard. Most series, even the hits, end with two hours of frenzied garage sale where the crew & friends swoop in like Black Friday hordes and snap everything up at bargain prices (it's how I got all my nicest furniture!). Star Trek got two big auctions, one administered by a top Hollywood memorabilia dealer and the other by the most prestigious auction house in the world. If that's not a sufficiently respectful way for a corporation to treat leftover production materials, I can't imagine what would be.

Granted, It's really sad to see the show you've worked on and loved for years be dismantled in a day or two. But to perceive malice in this standard and sensible operating procedure is silly.

Also silly, this notion that Les Moonves has some deep seated hatred of Star Trek. That is not the level on which Les Moonves makes decisions. To the extent he even has personal feelings about these properties, they are not relevant next to the question of: is it now or do we foresee it will eventually be profitable?

RAMA likes this.
  20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Got to say, I haven't seen any "panic". More often than not, I see people making fun of it at this point.

Tellarites4Ever likes this.