LEGO games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by retroenzo, Aug 5, 2016.

1. retroenzo

retroenzo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bit of a guilty pleasure but I'm 41 and I still love playing the LEGO games. In fact, the only weak entries so far have been LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean and LEGO The Hobbit.

My favourites though have to be the Harry Potter and Marvel Superheroes game. I really wish they'd do a LEGO Star Trek game but I'm sure that will never happen (Isn't Micro Machines still responsible for making little Star Trek models?)

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as building block toys go, Trek is currently in the domain of Mega Bloks.

Kor

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, Mega Bloks sadly. I think Trek would be a perfect universe for a Lego game, since those games are usually focused more on exploring and solving problems than combat.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

too shallow - as the wife said, "can we play an actual video game now, please?"

I love her so much

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

LEGO has approached CBS about licensing Trek multiple times over the past few years, but Lucasfilm has flexed its muscle to block a deal.

SPCTRE likes this.
  6. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm actually in the middle of Lego Pirates right now, and finding it fairly enjoyable considering it's one of the earlier, simpler ones. Lego Batman 3 was my biggest disappointment. Though I agree Marvel Superheroes was on of the best (Marvel Avengers was also great) and Harry Potter (the first one) was quite good, as well. Star Wars: the complete saga was excellent, also. Ulimately I think Dimensions is easily the most fun, though unfortunately expensive as hell.

I really have no idea how this licensing landscape looks, so sorry if this should be obvious, but how is Lucasfilm even involved in this? Are they pressuring Lego/TT because they don't want Star Trek and Star Wars promoted in the same form?

7. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

precisely

8. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems like a completely ridiculous line in the stand. And petty, too, considering the massive success of Star Wars (being basically the number 1 property in almost every measurement at this point).

Do you have any kind of source or link about this? Because I have a bit of a hard time believing any company would actually waste their time on such an effort.

9. retroenzo

Very odd. Especially considering that Marvel and DC are both in the same LEGO universe too.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The LEGO tie ins are some of my absolute favorite games. They're also some of the best same screen multiplayer games going right now. My mom and I actually play them together. We're working on Avengers and The Force Awakens right now.

11. Hippocrates Noah

Hippocrates Noah Commander Red Shirt

I've only played a few of them, and they're a bit of a guilty pleasure for me too at 36. I probably never would have tried one but Lego Indiana Jones came with my XBOX 360 back in the day and in the beginning I didn't have many games so I gave it a go. Since then I've played Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga and the new one for The Force Awakens. I enjoyed all but they don't have a lot of replay value for me once I've found/unlocked everything. It's cool to see some of my favorite franchises in Lego form, I was really into them as a kid but we didn't have all this cool stuff. I had to make my own crappy Star Wars Lego ships. The stuff they have today makes me wish I'd been born later.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing to be guilty about. They're just great games that manage to have enough entertainment for adults, similar to Pixar movies. Currently playing LEGO SW: The Clone Wars and am constantly amazed at what they've done to keep the gameplay fresh.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  13. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

The first few LEGO games were great: Star Wars', Batman, Indy. They greatly appealed to my obsessive-compulsive nature :lol:

But after a while, they became such a chore. The Pirates of the Caribbean game, Harry Potter, later Star Wars and Batman/DC installments.

The last one I played was The Lord of The Rings (which was my favourite, incidentally.)

They need to refresh the games. Or maybe they have, I don't know. I've yet to be lured back.

14. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Dimensions has some nice extra puzzle elements where you physically have to move the mini-figs on the platform from area to area...

15. retroenzo

I'd love to play Dimensions, especially with the sheer range of geeky stuff in there - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, etc. But it's just so gosh-darned expensive. And as Disney Infinity 2.0 is dead, I can sort of see Lego Dimensions going the same way...

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, games are expensive enough as it is, like hell if I'm going to drop $20 a pop for a level pack and some characters.

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

There's always Lego Worlds which I hear is pretty good. Sort of LEGO's version of Minecraft, but with more things to see and do.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is my problem too. I would love to play Dimensions, but I don't really have the disposable income to be buying the packs I want on top of the main game.
    So are they stopping the Ninja Turtles stuff in Dimensions now that Mega Bloks has the TMNT license?

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure why you ask if they're "stopping", when they never started in the first place.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought I remembered seeing TMNT characters in some of the trailers.