Least favorite Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by KayArr, Oct 14, 2007.

1. KayArr

KayArr Commander Red Shirt

Inspired by the "Why is DS9 the black sheep" thread and lots of "best of" polls, I give you a "least favorite" thread. My least favorite is DS9.

2. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

For me that would have to be Enterprise – by a million light years! It was ill-conceived and badly written. Out of the 100 eps or so that they had, I can remember a handful of really good ones. The rest were mediocre at best or simply plain horrid. Also this series did not treat previous Trek with respect, it completely ruined the Vulcans and the first officer was a pathetic joke. The excuses they stooped down too to get this girl naked! Decon rubdowns and what was it? neural pressure? What else is there to say... :wtf:

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voyager.

Enterprise was pretty poor, but Voyager was just plain awful.

4. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Enterprise... by a long shot.

The show suffered from really bad writing, on the whole. Not to mention it's laughable theme. Really, people laughed out loud. And, frankly, I hated Archer... the guy was a giant ass. The irony is that the show tried desperately to make Archer out to be a thoughtful leader but only ever made him out to be a surprisingly delusional asshole. How a tv show can make Scott Bakula unlikable seems an amazing feat to me. :lol:

5. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I hate to join the pile-on...Enterprise

If it had been more like the 4th season from day 1, I would have responded Voyager. That being said, Enterprise fell so far short of it's potential and seemed to take a lot of what I consider to be the worst bits of modern Trek and made a show out of it. I've made a point to watch most of season 4 and think it isn't up there in TOS/DS9 territory but definitely was better than a lot of late VOY.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yup.

7. OmarB

OmarB Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Voyager bugs the crap outta me. If it was not for 7 I would never watch the reruns. In fact I never watch the reruns she's not in. terrible show, Janeway's voice is annoying as all f*ck too.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, Voyager.

It was just lacking in so many ways, that have all been named on this forum so many times I won't get into it right now.

9. igrokbok

igrokbok Commodore Commodore

TNG. They might as well have re-named "Traper John MD" and put it on the air as "STar Trek", it has just as much in common.

10. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd have to say Enterprise by a nose. The basic idea was good -- take away all the goodies and let space feel like a dangerous place. Unfortunately it wasn't well executed.

Archer seemed like a piece of wood, and it seemed like he had two emotions -- nuetral and angry. You could tell when he was angry because he looked like :mad:. Other than that, nothing. Trip was good, the British guy was good, and they make it a touch more watchable, but it still wasn't *good*.

The stories were pretty predictable. They seemed to be hand me downs from other Treks, nothing really distinguished an Ent story from a Voyager story other than them doing a Search-Replace to change phasers to phase cannons. I think it would have worked perfectly well if they would have tried to think out what it would have been like to be on your own without unlimited power and supplies, and without a clue what was out there.

The final nail though has to be the vulcans. Not that they were radically different. They were a little different, but not enough to be annoying. What *did* bother me was that they'd always know exactly what was going on.

Something like:

Enterprise arrives at Rigel 5.

Archer: I've never seen anything like *that* before!
    T'pol: Those are Verdians. They have this lighting organ in their chest so they can shoot lightning at you. I was here on vacation last week, I had a great time.
    Archer: OK then.

That's not exploration, that's a field trip. :brickwall:

11. Niorah

Niorah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise.

I'll just make the effort to consider it to be actually part of Trek, especially and only for this poll.

It'll never happen again. :vulcan:

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I've always been disapointed by Voyager. Enterprise actually got me to start posting here.

13. KayArr

KayArr Commander Red Shirt

DS9--it was about earth now (Palestine, etc.). All of the others were about what the future might be like.

14. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Either Voyager or Enterprise will "win". That's the way it is around here.

For me, it's Enterprise. I didn't find DS9 particularly engaging but it at least managed to grab my attention occasionally. Enterprise is the only Trek series I actually found unwatchable.

15. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

Voyager because the writing, characters and episodes were the most inconsistent. But I don't hate it: I simply like it less than the others. To me, at least, Enterprise had similar problems, but not quite as often. But that's me. I like VOY and ENT, but LOVE TOS (despite some dated elements), TNG & DS9.

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I selected Enterprise, but for the record, I liked it. It's just that by the time Enterprise came around, we've seen so much Trek. They can't all be the best.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Uuuhm, not. ALL of the Trek shows have been mirrors to the current era. In fact, Trek has always been at its absolute best when it's really about our world underneath.

TOS did analogies to Vietnam, the cold war, racism and more. TNG did analogies to terrorism, abortion, drug addiction, ect. VOY did shows about industrial pollution, pointless wars, and even unemployment. ENT did HIV/AIDS, religeous intolerance, and the Iraq war. DS9 did a lot more than "Palestine". It had shows about racism, terrorism, faith (Something unique in the Trek mythos), and more.

While Trek may be set in the future, it's always been about us.

18. Angel4576

<cough> allegory <cough> social commentary <cough> :rolleyes:

You honestly have to wonder, when someone sits there watching TOS, just how much of it goes completely over their heads? :brickwall:

19. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why not just call this thread "Come and watch ENT and VOY get spanked" instead? That's what always happens here, just as DS9 and TOS always win the favorite polls.

20. Angel4576

^^ Hardly surprising.

Feel sorry for TNG though. Neither loved nor despised.