LCARS MASTER SYSTEMS DISPLAY QUANTUM CLASS

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Solarbaby, May 23, 2010.

1. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

've been studying some LCARS cross sections of various ships and had a go at one of my ship designs.

[​IMG]

I'm really pleased with the result. It took nearly a day to create this using flash CS5. Big thanks to T.E. Williams for the 3D model that I studied to draw this accurately.

I have added lots of buttons and text because I can't get the Font to install in flash for some unknown reason. But I will add them soon

I have also included a link to the flash version that is vector based so you can zoom in

quantum cross sectionanimated.swf - 0.11MB

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

I would suggest flipping the figure of the ship horizontally and making the outline a bit thicker and in a brighter color than your deck lines, maybe khaki (#CCCC66).

3. Solarbaby

Thanks for the tips. I made the alterations

[​IMG]

4. Solarbaby

I just realised that the warp core isnt touching the ejection hatch. I've adjusted its location and dimension to make it fit

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  5. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

Much better. I like to make the outline really stand out. The smaller the final display size, the thicker the outliine it takes. Mine are meant to be diplayed only 700 pixels or so wide. So I generally make the outline four times as thick as the deck lines for a large ship and much brighter. That's not necessary if your final product is a large backlit printout or large scrollable image, but making the outline brighter than the deck lines still helps frame a large image in the viewer's eye. How something looks from a distance is important.

Examples for small display:
    http://lcars24.com/starfleet.html

6. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a really nice MSD! I also like the isometric views of the ship, which really help me visualize where everything goes on the MSD. Well done!

7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice work! But I'd do something to suggest that the deflector is not on centerline. As it is now, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that bridge! :lol:

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

very good and awesome work on these :) :techman:

and cool that you added the escape pods in it :)

9. Solarbaby

The deflectors wouldn't affect the bridge. They emit whatever it is the emit in front of the ship either side of the bridge.

[​IMG]

The MSD isn't an exact split down the centre schematic-as it would miss a few key ship systems if it were.

10. Kaiser

Very cool ship art there :)

11. B.J.

Oh, I understood that from your other views. I'm just saying that in the MSD you might want to do something, maybe dotted lines for that portion of the hull or whatever, that makes it a bit clearer that the deflector isn't behind the bridge. But nice work nonetheless! :techman:

12. Solarbaby

Thanks. I checked your deviant page. Nice stuff yourself. I like the humour in your work

13. Solarbaby

Has their ever been a cross section front front view of a federation ship before? I don't ever recall seeing one. I've started one to see how would it would look. Its not finished yet

[​IMG]

14. Kaiser

very nice :) :techman:

actually nope i havent before :confused:

15. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

No reason why there shouldn't be. Giving the Engineer (or whoever needs to see ship status) a 360 degree view along at least 2 axes (pitch and roll would almost have to be required, not sure about yaw) would allow for a quicker ability to send resources to the appropriate areas. Looks great, BTW.

16. B.J.

Sternbach created a front view cross section of the Constellation class for the Star Trek magazine a while back. But I don't think there's been one on-screen before.

17. skyworth

skyworth Cadet Newbie

Solarbaby - On page 1 of this thread, the link to the vector flash version (quantum cross sectionanimated.swf) is not working. Can the file be re-posted, I would like to see the vector version? Thanks.

18. Solarbaby

19. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Well, I've known you for over 2 years now and we've become great friends. I remember when you got your first copy of CS4. The progress you've made since then is just incredible. These display are wonderful. Just proves that technical read-outs can also be true works of art. Fantastic work, Hon. :-)

20. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend checking out her animated vector version at her DeviantArt link. It is stunning. :-)