Last Star Trek Episode You Watched

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kes2370, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Odona Kirk

Odona Kirk Commodore Commodore

Where No Man Has Gone Before (TOS Blu-ray, alternate version)

2. pl1ngpl0ng

pl1ngpl0ng Captain Captain

After an overwhelming urge for "reality"
    i have now returned to DS9. Reality sucks....

DS9 - S4:E1 "The Way of the Warrior"

"just what this station needs...
    another Klingon"

3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the novelverse concept that he deliberately set the Terran empire up to fail so when the Terrans were free from The Alliance they would not turn out to be as barbaric as their ancestors and set up a viable democratic alternative
    Its Starfleet love all forgotten in a week, Starfleet officers, they make lousy lovers and lousy parents

TNG Q who (later tonight)

4. Odona Kirk

Odona Kirk Commodore Commodore

If Memory Serves (DSC)

5. Discofan

Discofan Vice Admiral Commodore

Brother (Disco): That guy in blue, I knew he wasn't there for long.

6. Jim Klag

Jim Klag Commodore Premium Member

Rightful Heir - TNG

7. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG Q Who (another episode where Picards makes a bad decision)

8. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

the most recent star trek episode I saw, was DS9's Favour the bold and sacrifice of angels. Two great eps.

9. BillJ

BillJ History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

Without that bad decision, Starfleet has nothing to base its weapons research on. Remember, the Borg were already encroaching on Federation and Romulan territory a year earlier in "The Neutral Zone".

Cutie McWhiskers likes this.
  10. Pure Antiproton

Pure Antiproton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Lethe, ST Discovery season 1. I’m on a full rewatch. This series has moved into second place on my favorites list.

11. BillJ

“Bounty” - Star Trek: Enterprise

Pretty bad, even by Berman-era standards.

12. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Rascals" TNG. Ugh.

13. BillJ

“The Expanse”, “The Xindi” - Star Trek: Enterprise

14. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

TNG: Encounter at Farpoint (part 1), streamed on Netflix.

I was inspired to watch this after my recent viewing of All Good Things... Parts of it are really good, better than I remember, and others not so much.

I think that most of us here are quite fond of Jean-Luc Picard, but I also think we forget how cranky and short tempered he was in the first two seasons of TNG. Referring to Q’s Marine Corps uniform as a “costume” probably didn’t win him many points with a lot of viewers in 1987, and it still makes me cringe when I hear it now. Get over yourself, Jean-Luc.

137-year old Admiral McCoy walking the corridors of Enterprise-D is still a joy to see, something that almost makes up for Deanna being on the verge of tears for most of the episode.

Its long past my bedtime, so part 2 will have to wait.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  15. Cutie McWhiskers

Cutie McWhiskers Commodore Commodore

TOS: Is There in Truth No Beauty?

was the latest I rewatched and reviewed it in the TOS forum some time ago. Most of my opinion has not changed. The direction had a couple minor misfires, but a couple fantastic (one with a fisheye lens to really sell the emotional off-kilter feel) scenes as well. The script is still a bit myopic in some moments (Kirk is always hyperfocused about all the men in Starfleet and thinking it's always about sex...) and a little freewheeling with safely whizzing out of the galaxy and slightly forcing the dialogue of the need for Spock to mind-meld in order to do the necessary and quick navigational changes, but by no means does it come across as a shining example of season 3 being complete and utter tosh per that fan consensus.

16. Discofan

Discofan Vice Admiral Commodore

Rascals TNG

17. Doctor Bombay

Doctor Bombay Lieutenant Red Shirt

This Side of Paradise. One of my favorites.

18. Cutie McWhiskers

I still wish Data spouted months, weeks, days, hours, seconds, nanoseconds, picoseconds, and so on, which would validate McCoy's cranky line about "so precisely" with a lot more authenticity. It's a lovely tribute scene in of itself but it could have been a homer with just one slight augment to Data's line involving the relative passage of time...

As for the admittedly cringefest on another issue: In the self-contained and detached universe of sci-fi, is it out of place for a character to made commentary over a long distant empire's uniforms?

Looking back a few hundred years, here's one example:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/467318898814126389/

A lot of people would call it a costume as well.

Having said that and thanks for still reading, having a person ostensibly from the future (sandboxed sci-fi setting or not) rag on near-contemporary uniforms is a bit of a different context, isn't it? It would be closer to relate to thus feel a bit sledgehammery and thus cringe-inducing. Even then, wasn't the figure with the "costume" from the 1950s and Picard thusly mocking McCarthyism when pointing to the outfit?

Assuming the goal wasn't to deliberately make the audience squirm. Being season 1, people were squirming for all sorts of unintentional reasons so it is admittedly hard to tell...

19. Cutie McWhiskers

Seconded. It would have been a bigger mistake to turn around per Guinan's advice. That's the same Guinan that Picard otherwise listened to, advocated for, and freely set orders in agreement with her in numerous other episodes. :D Even the apocryphal "I Borg" that makes Chekov's "change the personality to fit the plot" trope trick into inconsequential zilcharama by comparison...

And I prefer Picard's big mistake being in "I Borg" where they don't return Hugh with the good ol' "Send them what amounts to compelling them to calculate to the last digit the value 'Pi'" trick, though the Borg's main operating system would surely prevent any single process and input queues from hogging and overriding the mesh, SMP CPU network to the point they paralyze themselves into deactivation (or collectively go nuts and explode in unison, if it had been Kirk ordering the collective to do it.)

On edit: Typo, whoops...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Doctor Bombay likes this.
  20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tng starship Mine and Lessons