Large scale battles in future Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ChowdaHead, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This may just be my imagination running wild, and some may argue this quite un-trek, but would any of you welcome large scale battle on the landscapes of a planet in a future Trek film? It is widely assumed the Klingons will do battle with the Federation in the next film. Would a glorious scene of Klingon invasion be of opposition? It could be really cool to see done, if done well. Though, i know for a ground attack to take place many factors would have to be taken into account. But if written well, it shouldnt be impossible. I personally love a ship vs. ship battle as much as the next Star Trek lover, but you have to admit, it would be interesting!

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The last movie featured a huge black ship that may as well have been named USS EVIL with antagonists featuring corrupt admirals bent on starting wars along with a genocidal superman. I think any concerns of being "unTrek" have long since sailed for the production staff. ;)

You weren't specific at all, but are you meaning a ground battle? The problem with that is... plausibility of getting the good guys into the situation when they're trained to work on starships. Not impossible, but not quite what Kirk and company do. This is even assuming the Klingons are the villains in the next film which isn't at all certain.

Welcome to the board, by the way. :)

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Fifty years ago, epic large scale ground battles were done with a "cast of thousands" of extras. These days, they're done with thousands of cgi characters. The latter types don't really excite me as much.

I'm not chomping at the bit for large scale space battles in Star Trek. Star Wars seems to handle that type of stuff well enough. Though a major attack on a starbase might be interesting, as long as it's not Earth as the major planet.

4. MasterDebater

MasterDebater Cadet Newbie

I'd rather not see that. I loved the large-scale battles in DS9, but those only worked because DS9 was a 170+ episode TV show and had the oppurtunity to spend plenty of time building up to the Dominion War with diplomacy and political intrigue episodes. There's an inherent sampling bias with a 2-hour movie, and I believe that a full-scale space battle would be too much.

Granted, that's not to say it can't work, but I do have doubts.

5. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm inclined to agree with the last two posters. Probably just my taste, too, that leans toward preferring smaller-scale stuff , if nothing else for clarity's sake. Imagine watching a boxing match with fifty boxers in the ring at once... :wtf:

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree about DS9, that was epic because of all the smaller scale life that preceded it. In a movie it's just one more action scene.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first (and IMO best) big battle in DS9 was "Way of the Warrior" and it had a grand total of 50 minutes of build. A nuTrek battle, with LOTR-scale armies of Klingons on the ground and hundreds of ships fighting above could be even more awesome than that.

8. ChowdaHead

correct, ground battle. hence why i said on landscapes of a planet. maybe i should have been more specific though. and thanks for the warm greetings!

9. ChowdaHead

^this is exactly what i was implying. i would agree that it might seem too farfetched for Star Trek. but i also think its possible if done the right way.

10. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Wasn't Star Trek about exploring strange new worlds ??? I'm a great believer on big action scenes but lets not forget about Star Trek isn't about WAR !!!

11. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that both the original series and the reboot universe strongly imply that there are very few Federation starships, at least comparable to the Enterprise, so a mass battle would be pretty jarring.

12. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What good are huge armies when you have starships that can obliterate them (or even stun them) from orbit? Nah, I'm for a pass on this idea. Too much Star Wars meet LOTR meets 300 meets etc....

Trek has never been about armies. It's about what three guys can do on their own, assisted by the backing of a starship.

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a mass battle in the first film between Nero's ship and a Federation fleet, but it was off screen.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was still only seven Federation ships, compared to the hundreds seen in DS9. Although we were told of a "primary fleet" which was busy elsewhere, hence Starfleet crewing ships with cadets.

The unseen battle at the Klingon prison planet was bigger, 47 Klingon warbirds were destroyed.

15. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'm not big on a star trek ground battle but I would like to see a fleet of ships in action.

16. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I would prefer the films to take a serious break from large scale battles, especially villains hellbent on revenge (we've had nothing but those villains for a long 15 years!). The most fun in STID was in the opening sequence. No battles, minimal phaser use, a sense of camaraderie and stakes that were more personal than galactic. It's the only part of the film that really felt like Star Trek, despite the stupid underwater Enterprise stuff.

17. ChowdaHead

maybe, but the earth for instance has a planetary defense system. thus, i dont think obliteration from orbit would be plausible. but beaming down? i am not sure how many people can be beamed at a time, though. perhaps some new technobabble can be applied. like i said, just fun speculation and imagination. thanks for your thoughts everyone!

18. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I cannot think of a single movie in history which makes me feel I want to revisit such a scenario in Star Trek. :shrug:

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's still the second biggest fleet battle in a Star Trek film.

Okay, third biggest.

20. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly, I wouldn't mind a major battle involving countless ships, but the Enterprise is caught in the middle. Not part of any side, vastly outgunned, and desperately trying to fly her way out of it. And because the Enterprise is a third faction, she could be the most important ship there, the one that could hopefully negotiate a peace between the two sides -- if she survives.

Of course, a Federation ship stumbling upon two civilizations doing battle while exploring the great unknown, then inadvertently getting involved in their politics, is dangerously close to a Voyager episode.