News Ladysmith Black Mambazo founder, Joseph Shabalala, has died

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Nth Doctor, Feb 11, 2020.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ladysmith Black Mambazo founder, Joseph Shabalala, died today at the age of 78.

I've been a big fan of Ladysmith Black Mambazo since I was a kid when I first heard them in the short animated film How the Leopard Got His Spots (and then I discovered Graceland and Paul Simon...). I got to see them in concert while I was in college and it was an incredible experience.

Rest in peace, Joseph Shabalala. Thank you for the music.

2. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

I always got the impression that he rose above the Apartheid era he lived in. While Mandela was trying to change things from the political side - he just made good music and served as an ambassador for his people.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  3. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

Sorry to hear this. Like many others, I first learned about Ladysmith Black Mambazo from Paul Simon's wonderful Graceland album. Over the years, I saw them on PBS and other venues, and heard Joseph Shabalala interviewed a few times. He was always passionate about the music, and hopeful that his country would rise from the hateful apartheid system. An amazing legacy.

4. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved their music and especially Joseph 's unique voice. I regret never seeing them in concert