La Revolution - French Fantasy/Alternate History Drama on Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jan 6, 2021.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just watched the first episode of this on Netflix this morning and thought it was pretty good. It's a fantasy/alternate history story set during the early stages of the French Revolution. The big alternate history twist with this is that there is apparently some kind of disease or something that is going around and turning people's blood blue. That didn't come up yet in the first episode, so I'm not sure what role that plays.
    The first episode focused mainly on Joseph Guillotin, the doctor who would provide the name of the guillotine, who is investigating a peasant girl's murder, and Elise de Montargis,the girlfriend of Guillotin's deceased brother, and who's sister had a vision of the girl's murder. I enjoyed it, it was a nice looking series, and it set up some interesting mysteries, and had a very intriguing reveal at the end.
    The fantasy elements were fairly subtle for most of the episode, with just Elise's sister and Guillotin both having visions of the girl's murder. It also felt to me like there are hints that there is something potentially supernatural involved in the peasant girl's death. The end does seem to set up the bigger fantasy element,
    with Gullotin's brother having apparently returned from the dead.
    Definitely looking forward to watching more.

2. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

is it in French with Subs, bad english dubs, or completely in English?

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can pick what language you want the subtitles or audio to be in. I was looking to see if I could change the style of the subtitles, and there was a huge list of languages for both the audio and the subtitles. The default is French with English subtitles.
    I watched the second episode this afternoon, and now things the plot seems to be really getting going and things are getting more supernatural.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love this concept...

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I only have two episode left, and I'm liking it even more. It's actually more horror than fantasy, since the blue blood disease that is making people immortal also turns then into violent, psychotic, cannibals.
    It's definitely taken some interesting twists and turns as it's gone along, and I'm very curious to see where it ends.
    If you don't mind boobs, blood, and gore, I definitely recommend it.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished it this morning, and the ending was really good. We got a crazy battle between the rebels and the blue bloods, and there were a couple of really surprising twists and reveals.