La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. ScottDS

ScottDS Captain Captain

NO RELEASE DATE OR TRACK LISTING YET!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=90036&forumID=1&archive=0

In addition to these wonderful new releases, La-La Land will be offering at its Comic Con booth (#429 “Toy Hungry”) the usual assortment of exciting soundtrack titles, with many worthwhile specials and deals to be had.

Also, we will be discussing some of our upcoming soundtrack releases, including [...] STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE (4-CD SET) music by various composers.

For folks who are unfamiliar with this scene, the way La-La Land Records (they released the expanded TMP score) works is, they'll announce the title, then put it up for sale a week later. Right now, there is no date for this set yet.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Fantastic news! I definitely will be getting this. The La-La Land releases of the past have been some of the best soundtracks I've ever seen. I'm curious which episode scores they will comprise.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Fantastic news! January would be a good time for a release, given that DS9 will celebrate its 20th anniversary then.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not sure how enthusiastic to be about this; it depends on what episodes are included. A lot of the stuff in the 3-disc TNG set a while back was rather uninteresting. There aren't that many DS9 episodes that I remember standing out musically, and several of them have already been released. I suppose there could be some good stuff in "period" episodes like "Far Beyond the Stars," "Our Man Bashir," and the Vic Fontaine installments. And there was some good stuff in some of the comedy episodes; I wouldn't mind having John Debney's score to "The Nagus," or David Bell's "Take Me Out to the Holosuite." Oh, and Jay Chattaway's teaching song for Sarina in "Chrysalis" is a must.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If there was one flaw with DS9, it was that I found most of the music to be kind of annoying dreary background noise. There were some episodes where the Music was great (The jazzy moments of Far Beyond the Stars, or the music to set the mood for The Visitor) but I'm interested to see what episodes they will include.

6. Christopher

Yeah, "The Visitor" was one of the great scores -- but it's already had a CD release in GNP Crescendo's first The Best of Star Trek compilation.

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG already had 18-and-a-half discs released, though (4 GNP volumes, 14 discs in The Ron Jones Project, and two Best of Trek volumes where they get about a quarter of the disc). After that point you're going to be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

DS9, meanwhile, has only had one-and-a-half discs of music released. While it's been far too long since I've seen the show, and so can't really name any memorable episodes off the top of my head, it just seems to me that there's probably going to be a lot more remaining good material there.

8. Christopher

^But it's a matter of period, not just quantity. There's a lot of good TNG material because it was a few years before the "wallpaper" policy fully kicked in. Most of the really interesting stuff is from the early seasons, and the most interesting stuff from later seasons is from the one-time guest composers. But DS9 came along five years later, so it was fully within the "wallpaper music" era. McCarthy got to cut loose with "Emissary," but I'm not sure how long it was before the more conventional scoring style settled in.

9. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

While Voyager and especially Enterprise have more cinematic scoring, there's more interesting music in DS9 than you might remember. I've been rewatching the series lately and taking note of the cues that I'd want to hear outside of the show.

McCarthy: There's a terrific emotional cue for the climax of "Duet." Also, he gets to cut loose for the climax of the otherwise dreadful "Fascination." Finally, there's plenty of worthy stuff from the finale, like the montage and the other goodbye scenes. The cue for the final shot is a shoe-in for this set.

Chattaway: There's a great thematic action cue for the climax of "Armageddon Game" (and you wouldn't expect it because with TNG still around, that was very much in the wallpaper era). From season 5 on, Chattaway did great work for episodes like "Call to Arms," "Empok Nor", "One Little Ship," "Time's Orphan" and especially "The Changing Face of Evil."

Bell: His work for "Covenant", "Sacrifice of Angels" and "In the Pale Moonlight" is solid.

Baillargeon: Not a fan but it's hard not to deny the power of his score for "The Siege of AR-558." His best work (as well as for the rest of them) lies in Enterprise, though.

10. Christopher

I'm not a big fan of Chattaway's action cues; I prefer his more emotional, sensitive material. Although I did like his action work in VGR: "Scorpion," since he actually got away with composing a leitmotif for Species 8472.

11. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

He wrote "Call to Arms" around the same time and it also has a recurring motif (for the enemy fleet). I always wondered how he pulled that off. ;)

Chattaway's action style broadened as the franchise went on. I really like his work in Enterprise.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Hopefully it has the score from "The Siege of AR-558." Depending on what is featured, I might pick this up.

13. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I love the music that accompanies the final scene in "The Changing Face of Evil", where Damar reveals his resistance movement and the DS9 crew, as well as Weyoun and the Female Changeling, react.

14. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just saw this announced at the end of the latest La-La Land news e-mail, have to say I'm very excited about this! I love genre TV scores and will be excited to see what episodes are covered in this set.

As mentioned above, I would love to get the Ron Jones Project set, but even if I forked out the high price, I dread to think what the import duty would be... :(

15. ILOVETREK1701

ILOVETREK1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love star trek music and I want this, ah I'll have to purchase it. :)

16. ILOVETREK1701

ILOVETREK1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love star trek music and will have to buy this. :)

17. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is very welcome, a nice way to celebrate the 20th anniversary; hopefully Pocket Books have things planned as well.

I'm hoping for music from ""In the Cards", "The Sword of Kahless", "Our Man Bashir", "The Ascent", "Empok Nor", "Sacrifice of Angels", "You Are Cordially Invited", "Far Beyond the Stars", "Tears of the Prophets", "The Changing Face of Evil" and "What You Leave Behind".

As for Ron Jones, I've always felt that his music for early TNG was good; it just clashed with the fairly dull episodes and could be overwhelming and ovely emotional as Rick Berman described it.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I have never been hit for import duty on a package of CDs coming into Australia. Just don't make the parcel too large or heavy.

A penpal once sent me three VHS tapes in a large, square box with foam popcorn, and I got hit with a hefty bill. They opened the box and, even though all three tapes were second hand, they still had price tags on them, and they used those old (high) prices to determine the duty.

In any case, I seem to recall seeing the separate Ron Jones Project discs being available for iTunes download.

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. When the set was first released, we were told that downloads wouldn't be possible. Though since iTunes only has 12 of the 15 discs, I wonder if it was the other three discs that had legal issues and they eventually released what they could.

20. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Wonderful news.

I just hope it heavily features David Bell, and not so much McCarthy/Chattaway. We have so much music from those two already.

And please consider that a little of Baillargeon's dissonance goes a long way. (I was relieved to see that my musically very adept wife wore the same WTF face I did when she first saw the teaser to Shakaar.)