Spoilers Klingons in the upcoming Pike show, and beyond (not a headcanon theory thread!)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Ralphis, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

(I have what might be considered a very, very, very, very minor Picard spoiler in here. But I think it's a pretty harmless mention. Still, just wanted to cover my butt and mention it before you read this.)

I know we probably need a break from the Klingons. But eventually they'll pop up again. Not just in the allegedly upcoming Pike show (which I'm SO, SO, SO hoping for), but also in Picard, Section 31, etc. It's bound to happen at one point.

So, what will they look like?

I love how in Picard they chose to blend the TOS and TNG Romulan aesthetics. You have some TOS Romulans, some TNG-era Romualans, and several somewhere in between. And the only reference to it is a throwaway line about being "stubborn northerners". It's great! That's all you need!

That's kind of how I hope the Klingons are handled going forward in this current era of TV Trek. Take the Disco Klingons, take the TOS movie/TNG Klingons, and mix them together.

Discovery make-up artist Gleen Hetrick actually had what I think was a great "mix" in his cameo in the season 2 finale. I'm not exactly sure if it's what he was going for, but to me it felt like a Disco Klingon and a TNG Klingon had a Tuvix-style transporter accident. Take a look for yourself: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=pb.810929556.-2207520000..&type=3&theater

And although Star Trek Into Darkness predates Discovery (and technically in an alternate universe), I've come to retroactively regard them as another example of a "mix". I have mixed feelings about that movie in general, but those Klingons... man... best part of the movie in my opinion. I'd love to see future Klingons based on that design. Or at least inspired by it.

I'm not sure how the augmented Klingons fit "modern" TV Trek. I don't think you do anything to retcon them out of existence, but there's no need to mention them.

There you go. Just need to get all of this out there. Have a good day.

antinoos likes this.
  2. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Wow, this got nothing. Where's that 'Homer Simpson retreating into the bushes' GIF when you need it? Or the Obi-Wan Kenobi 'You want to go home and rethink your life' GIF? Seriously... I don't know how to post GIFs here.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes I liked the Klingon look in ST:ID. It wasn't nauseatingly hideous like the Disco design.

Kor

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'd guess that the STD Klingon design will continue to slowly "evolve" toward something a little less masky and extreme. Makeup designers do that sort of thing even in the context of one TV series; the Klingons on TNG by season 5 were not conceptually different from Worf in season one, nonetheless the specifics and detail had changed a great deal.

BillJ likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope we get a mix of Klingons, from DSC, some TOS augments, even some Into Darkness ones, as well as the Berman era ones.

Ralphis likes this.
  6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want to see TAS Klingons in those purplish uniforms.

Kor

7. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

This was the general point I was trying to make when I posted this thread. I wish I would have simplified my thought process by writing something basic as this.

I'm just saying throw all the Klingon designs in a blender and have fun with it. Give us a little bit of everything.

And although I wrote in my original post that you don't need augment Klingons, I'm not opposed to it either, especially if it's for the Pike show. If they found a way to make it work for the story that isn't too kitsch, go for it.

8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It can't be too large a file, or you have to use a hosting service. This is small enough to just upload here.

Homer Backs Into Bush 1a.gif

Ralphis likes this.
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or like Chang.

10. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Yeah, like a half-augment. Or someone partially affected, but not fully. A lot of those TOS movie Klingons come to mind (like Valkris from Star Trek III). Yes, the real life explanation is simply that's just how the make-up artist chose to design it, but one could back and theorize that a lot of those Klingons were partially affected augments, but still had some Klingon features.

fireproof78 likes this.