Killing off Will Riker

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Cmdr.Druss, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Cmdr.Druss

Cmdr.Druss Lieutenant Red Shirt

Taken from Memory Alpha:
    Had the above been put into effect, how do we think it would have worked out?

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I would loved to have seen what would have happened. I do think Tom Riker and Deanna would have gotten together before the end of the series. It would have been interestings seeing how Data handled being the new Number One (would Tom get the nickname of Number Two?).

3. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

Now THAT is the kind of development I have been hoping to see all along TNG, DS9 and VOY: major changes in the command staff and the general situation in the Federation. What if Picard had been really lost at Wolf 359? What if Jarok hadn't committed suicide? What if Li Nalas had remained Sisko's first officer? So many possibilities...

4. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd heard about that, & honestly, it would have been a good idea. The character had been stagnating for quite some time. I think the only reason to avoid something like that was the episodic nature of the show. Had it been one of the later shows that were more character arc oriented, then I'd say go for it

It seriously would have messed with heads, particularly Troi & Picard. Tom would not have been a clean swap. The effect of losing Will would weigh heavy on everyone, especially Troi & Picard, & having Tom around would have been a rather uncomfortable reminder. Sort of like having Yar's sister show up, times a billion

In essence, substantial drama, which is something TNG missed out on, due to its episodic nature

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I don't think it would have worked. As the poster above pointed out, TNG was basically episodic, so why would they want to introduce a plot line that almost requires serialization so late in the show? Plus, it would have changed things for the movies. The solution to a stagnating character is to fix the character, not do that kind of switch so late in the show.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But there was no realistic way to fix the character and keep Frakes on the show short of axing Stewart. Count me in the camp that thinks this would've been good for the show.

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

there were different ways to do it-have him get back together with Troi would be one. Having him discover that he has a daughter or son. Heck, get him together with Dr. Crusher.

8. BillJ

None of those are game changers though, it's just more nipping around the edges that Modern Trek was famous for.

Then we'd lose whiny Riker from Chain of Command and it would definitely put a different spin on an episode like The Pegasus.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Will Riker the character was damaged from so many times being told/shown how ambitious he is and what a go-getter, and Starfleet chomping at the bit wanting to give him his own Cpataincy... it really did become outlandish that the character that was sold to us would sit there as Second in Command for all those years

This would have allowed Frakes to not have to play that damaged character, and given him a meaty role that had to "measure up" to Will Riker, there's lots they could've done with Tom, showing him struggling to measure up, and contrasting how he was so much different than Will. I think it could've been really good for the show. Was there anything Riker contributed to the show's later seasons as First Officer that would've been a loss if this change had been made?

10. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm also in the camp that believes it would've been good for the show. A fresh start for "Riker" and Frakes. But, he'd have to muscle up for the role and make sure he kept the pounds off. As for the movies? There's no reason why he couldn't continue on in the movies as Thomas Riker.

But yeah... I have to say I was getting rather tired of "old Riker". Frakes was becoming too comfortable with his personification and the writers weren't willing to risk giving him much beyond the expected.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I think the idea had a lot of potential, and I was all for it. That said, I can imagine the delivery being less satisfying in the long run than we'd hope for. Grass is always greener, and so forth. :)

Why? Tom is physically the same person as Will, why would he not age/gain weight the same?

Makes me wonder though...I guess that means that Will specifically shaves those little bits out of his beard beside the soul patch, huh? :D

12. Bry_Sinclair

Replacing Will with Tom would also make sense for Riker as a whole. At the beginning, he was the young, ambitious XO who had his sights set on a ship of his own by 35. Then he comes onboard the E-D/E and his career stalls for fifteen years.

I know the Enterprise would have given him greater opportunities and made him more high profile, but after a while it just made him seem unwilling to commit to commanding a ship himself. Had Will been killed off and Tom taken over at Ops, at least it would make sense why he didn't get his ship until NEM.

13. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

Nah. No reason at all to kill off Will Riker, imo.

Riker's professional career didn't stall as much as his personal priorities changed. He even rejected opportunities for promotion.

At first, professional advancement was his main purpose in life. But after awhile, his crew mates became his family and he didn't want to leave them, especially Troi, of course, who he was still in love with.

What *should* have happened is that Riker should have been given his own command during TNG's movie run.

TPTB could have easily blended a good story together on the big screen where Riker was in command of the Titan (with Troi, in marriage) at the same time that JLP still captained the Enterprise.

This should have happened either after Generations or after First Contact. Especially after FC, it was time to show some confidence and take some chances.

14. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

Another thing --- people would have howled at what a cheap gimmick it was. Killing off a character without actually doing it, lazy writing, cheesy, "jumping the shark," etc. etc.

20/20 hindsight and all, but this would have been an unpopular move during the show's run.

I never had a problem with Riker during the show and really liked the character throughout. Then again, I liked all the characters on TNG so....

15. Cmdr.Druss

Cmdr.Druss Lieutenant Red Shirt

What about Data moving to XO?

We've seen him standing in as both XO and CO before, although when he was XO for Jellico he seemed to be just a Yes-man, backing up whatever Jellico wanted.

16. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I would have liked Picard replaced too. He never took any joy in his life anyway.

17. Bry_Sinclair

So maybe Picard was killed of in The Best Of Both Worlds, Riker is promoted to Captain and Shelby becomes First Officer. Then in Second Chances, Will Riker is killed off, Shelby becomes Captain, Data her Number One, and Tom Riker as Ops Manager.

That would be one helluva shake up! I like it :bolian:

18. Bry_Sinclair

I think that was more to do with Jellico's style. He seemed to want a 'yes man' as his Number One (which is kinda why he and Riker butted heads).

If Data was the new XO in TNG, he'd approach the role in a way Picard would respond too. I see lots of Shakespeare in the middle of the Bridge :)

19. BillJ

You mean how Riker was a Yes Man for Picard? Maybe Jellico wanted someone who could do the job without pissing and moaning about every single order and decision.

20. blueziggy

blueziggy Lieutenant Red Shirt

you want real character development without much effort? every few episodes after BoBW have riker get a priority 1 communication from earth. each time we see a little more of the message and/or interaction with a secretive admiral. keep it vague but then later on we find out that riker is the mole for starfleet keeping an eye on the former borg/reformed JLP.

explains why riker doesnt leave, sets up the beginning of FC and gives character development all in one fell swoop. hell even make the "admiral" part of section 31.

of course this is hindsight...