Karaoke

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jedi_Master, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

This thread is inspired by my attempts to sing karaoke at a party last weekend. It didn't go all that well, and I realized it was the first time I had ever participated in karaoke during the daylight hours, in front of a crowd of more than 50 people, and while totally sober.

So I thought I would start a little conversation about karaoke.
    Have you ever participated in karaoke? Where did you sing? What did you sing?
    Do you like to sing in a group or by yourself? Do you have any favorites songs? Do you need liquid courage to get up and sing?
    What's your best karaoke experience - your worst - the worst you have ever seen?

Any other comments related to the topic are also welcome.

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I LOVE KARAOKE!

Nothing is more fun than a jubilant, vibrant, accepting, in-it-for-the-silliness, packed karaoke crowd. I've done solo, duet, group, whatev. The last time out was my birthday, and the highlight for me was my best friend's performance: We met in high school and have been best friends ever since, but she moved to California for college and I to New York, and maintaining that relationship over 3000 miles for 15 years was rough. Our senior year of high school Hedwig and the Angry Inch came out. We saw an advance screening and became obsessed together. It came to symbolize that huge, transitional phase in our lives.
    She moved to NYC just before my birthday. In the middle of the karaoke evening (at the local dive bar -- they have a back room for karaoke alternate Fridays, it's always jumping), she went up and sang "Wig In A Box." At just the right moment, when the song begins to climax, she beckoned me onstage and we rocked the rest together, and it was just...magical.

I think the least magical night was the Halloween a couple of guys kept buying me martinis. I karaokied Beastie Boy's "Sabotage" dressed as Daria and the evening ended with me puking into my wastepaper basket and falling asleep on my bedroom floor with one shoe on. I don't do vodka anymore.

My sis and I do "Islands in the Stream," though I take the Kenny part and she takes Dolly -- I can do most of Dolly's range, but some of her high notes are just so far above me.

HIjol and Jedi_Master like this.
  3. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sex on Fire

All Night Long

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down

Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien

lurok and Jedi_Master like this.
  4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Last time I was working in Japan, I was too reserved to join in. Next time I'm there in few weeks time, I'm determined to give it a go!

I think/hope I could sing just about anything, but for choice would prefer either some classic Motown/R&B/hip hop, or maybe Sinatra.

If the thread is still alive, might try and post some pictures. Meeting some American friends and we're going to Karaoke Kan, best known from Lost In Translation.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  5. Jedi_Master

I like Billy Joel, Neil Diamond, anything big and boomy.

I sang "Lean on Me" - the Bill Withers version and got tripped up by the back and forth in the final section of the song. I need to practice that one a bit more. I also need to have more to drink before I sing. lol.

lurok likes this.
  6. lurok

I think Lean On Me is one of those songs that can sometimes be improved by a few drinks :)

Short, sweet and simple. Low register, not too many long vocal lines or top notes (or at least ones people will mind being mangled)...so alcohol might help.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  7. Jedi_Master

I agree. I also need to just sing it, rather than following the machine - the one that was used was pretty confusing. I did at least get the crowd singing along with me.

lurok likes this.
  8. lurok

I always liked that great quote about dancing being vertical expression of horizontal desire.

Karaoke seems similarly a way of unleashing one's inner rock star / pop star / crooner / rapper.

Who doesn't like that feeling of 'getting out of themselves' singing along to a song they love?

I think everyone should try it at least once :)

9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

No Karaoke for me (Vorta have no sense for music... ;)).

Seriously: back in the days as a student I used to have guitar sessions with friends at parties. But I wasn't a good guitar player or singer. It didn't matter, the bunch of (international) students sang along. Lady in Black, Country Roads, The Passenger.....
    It is more fun singing accompanied with guitars instead of singing with musical background coming from a tape....
    And yes, alcohol helped. In fact, we pre-partied before singing.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a voice that sounds like a 45-rpm single played at 33, with marbles in my mouth. So karaoke would be counterproductive in my case. :lol:

Unless you want 16 Tons or Convoy, in which case, I'm your man!

Kilana2 and lurok like this.
  11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The best Karaoke machines are the ones that give you a score at the end based on how closely you matched the melody.

Kor

12. Kilana2

Convoy is great. :techman:

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Especially with the appropriate visuals:

14. Kilana2

Unavailable in Germany because of GEMA rights. But I switch to YouTube to listen C.W. McCall in honor of Mr. Laser Beam.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Oh darn! :( It was a montage of scenes from the 2003 Battlestar Galactica. Some of them even matched the lyrics!

(Picture "Convoy" sung by Bill Adama. Is that cool, or what?)

16. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

There's not enough alcohol on Earth to get me to sing in public.

:lol:

Kilana2 likes this.
  17. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Every once in a while my family and I play Singstar on the PS2, at home. According to the game, I have excellent pitch, but I won't be standing up to sing in public any time soon - I think the nervous quaver that would put in my voice would ruin any skill I may or may not have. ;)

Jedi_Master and Kilana2 like this.
  18. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Like Singstar? I can't imagine anything worse than doing that in a crowded bar, I do like doing Karaoke from time to time though.

19. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

A bit off-topic, but I've always had this idea for a "Karate Kid" parody called "The Karaoke Kid." I always get stuck trying to wrap my head around how the mentor would trick the kid into learning how to sing while thinking he's doing some tedious task that has nothing to do with singing.

Also, I like the way Karaoke is done in parts of Asia. You rent a little room with friends, so you don't have to sing in front of a bunch of people you don't know in a bar.

Kor

Kilana2 likes this.
  20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread makes me want to be drunk, crammed into a booth with all my relatives, fighting about songs and screaming into the microphone.