just saw it- some questions

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by melancholymecha, Nov 29, 2009.

1. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know, I know, I only just now saw it... I thought it was lovely. I have 2 questions: keep in mind that my only Trek experience is TNG, the TNG films & a couple eps of Voyager.

I noticed in the early earth scenes Nokia & some other currently marketed products(some beer brand I cant remember the name of now) I thought these type of brand name product goods(capitalism) was done away with in the Trek future?

I didnt like Kirk until he got on the ship with Bones. I thought he was an obnoxious bastard. And they overdid the "rebel" stuff. Am I the only one? :confused:

2. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope.

Nope.

Joe, yep

3. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

He wasn't an obnoxious rebel; he was raised without a father and with his mother off planet. That is to say, because of Nero, James T. Kirk was hardly raised at all. Captain Pike and Starfleet will put him right, though.

4. melancholymecha

oh really? how wierd, I always thought that big name money making companies/corporations like we have today(like Sony, Mcdonalds, Disney etc) no longer existed, they were done away with after humans became more enlightened and equal and stopped using money, and almost everything was made by replicators.

I guess but I found him so annoying hitting on Uhura all the time and acting like a stupid punk...

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

In TNG, maybe. I'm not sure if that was the case 100 years earlier.

6. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    That Nokia comm/media device was in a three hundred year old car and played 300 year old music. There is no reason to assume that Nokia is still around as a company in Trek's future.

And the name of the drink was "Budweiser Classic."

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Product placement is nothing new in films, or even in Star Trek films. It helps pay the bills-- marketing tie-ins like cereals, etc. have been in Star Trek for decades. While I do not think it adds anything to the movie, the income helps ensure we have Trek around in the future. For that reason, I can live with it.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no evidence that corporations or private enterprise have vanished. All we really have to go on is the ramblings of Picard, who liked to bullshit about how there is no such thing as money where we all know he was wrong, we've *seen* evidence that those things do exist.

Corporations still existed even in the times of DS9 (many of the shops on the Promenade are corporate owned) and TNG ("Conspiracy" has one scene taking place on a planetoid owned by the 'Dytallix Mining Corporation') which is over 100 years after this.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It has not yet been canonically established that replicators exist in the 23rd century, he pontificated.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neither has it been established exactly what the existence of replicators would DO to the economy. (For two reasons: 1) they don't create stuff out of thin air - whatever comes out, you have to put something in, it's inherent in science - and 2) many people, such as Picard's family, refuse to use them.)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  11. Jeri

They used to say in the 1950's that because of nuclear technology, power would be free to everyone in the future.

12. melancholymecha

alright thanks all! I was just curious b/c its not something I was used to seeing from the little Trek Im familair with.

ps- I thought Kirk listening to Beastie Boys was weird too...

13. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Despite your TOS handicap, we still love u!:rommie:

14. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

But just look at all the stuff you can savour as new to you!!!!:techman:
    TOS remastered... the movies... I somewhat envy you, Mel!

15. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Corporations probably exist regarding other species, the Fergengi most likely.

For the Federation, I doubt they exist any more ( I hope ), or they are VERY different from today. Because, let's face it, if corporations in Trek time are like they are now....there would be no starships and so on....and we'd probably still be using oil, cures for stuff like the cold will NEVER happen, and everyone would be too busy rotting away in some office cubicle than actually doing something worthwhile.

and Star Wars don't count, cause nothing happens in that universe, apart from a major war that was all started because of taxes. :p

16. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

THe best way to explain the product placement for me is that over the centuries the brand names/company names have simply entered popular use for a certain device.

For example, in the UK many people call a vacuum cleaner a 'Hoover' when infact 'Hoover' is the name of a company that manufactured them. That brand became so popular that it became the name for that item.

So perhaps nokia is another word for phone in the 23rd Century.

If I want to search for something on the internet I 'Google' it, so maybe in the 23rd Century people still 'Google' stuff.

Budweiser must have become an extremely popular beer and so the only way to get that specific type of beer is to order a Budweiser. Budweiser must still make beer in the 23rd Century but they don't get money for it, it might be some automated facility.

Capitalism is dead but brand names are not.

17. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Oh and Kirk was supposed to be a cocky rebel asshole until the end! I think we will see a more Shatner-Kirk in the next one.

18. Jeri

The cases connected with the Corvette are supposed to be anachronistic flavors, as the car is an antique. They are a little wrong on the dates of Nokia and Beastie Boys compared to the car model; but when you're that far out in the future, the second half of the 20th century all sort of lumps together. We all look alike to them from there.

19. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

If the idiots learn how to write one.

20. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

As others have said, in the further Trek future (TNG) it was. The Federation was supposed to have eliminated capitalism by Picard's time, although other races still used money in DS9. In fact, in Kirk's time they still used credits.

I think he was supposed to be. This was supposed to be a Kirk that grew up without his dad, and raised by his mean uncle, so he was more 'edgier' than the Kirk we know that had a dad.
    And yeah, I thought he was a little obnoxious too.