"Judge Dredd: Mega-City One" TV series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain of the USS Averof, May 10, 2017.

1. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

British comic book character Judge Dredd is scheduled to become a TV show. Entertainment Weekly revealed that entertainment studio IM Global will turn the iconic comic book character into a live-action TV show called Judge Dredd: Mega City One.

The character of Dredd was created by writer John Wagner and artist Carlos Ezquerra in 1977 and first appeared in the British science fiction comic 2000AD. Judge Dredd has twice been adapted for the big screen. Sylvester Stallone played the titular character in 1995’s Judge Dredd, while Karl Urban portrayed the role in 2012’s Dredd.

The new series will be an ensemble drama about a team of Judges (the futuristic cops of the Mega-City One city) as they deal with 22nd century crime.

Source: http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/10/judge-dredd-tv-show/

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. My only experience with the character is the Dredd movie, but that was great and based off of my limited knowledge of the Judge Dredd universe, this has a ton of potential. It will be interesting to see what kind of approach they take.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

This could definitely be interesting. I love Dredd, and even the Stallone movie is entertaining in a goofy way. It is definitely a property with potential to be made into a good TV show.

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I'd rather have another Urban Dredd but ok, the potential is there. I'm hopeful.

The Lensman likes this.
  5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suppose it's too much to hope for Karl Urban to star?

Ah well, the Judge Dredd universe definitely has potential to work as a TV series. Arguably, it could even be better suited to TV than movies. I do wonder if they're going to go for the gritty realism of the Dredd movie, or are they going to be more fantastical like the comics tend to be, which does seem to be what the Stallone movie was shooting for.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Karl Urban has been pushing for a show and with the involvement of Netflix who have shown some interest (I imagine Netflix will buy the rights to air the show at somepoint). I really want Karl Urban in this show, he was excellent in Dredd

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

If Urban is on board, I'm game.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Even though I'm not getting my hopes up, it's not out of the question to see Urban again. He loves and wants to play Dredd again, and he's evidently still open to TV work, so here's hoping. I'll still watch either way.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  9. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

10. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If the show is based around a particular group of Judges, say at a local sector house then Dredd could just be a semi-recurring character, no problem.
    I imagine the only real obstacle to getting Urban is scheduling.

12. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

YES, please let it work out! I know Dredd 2 was never going to happen but if Urban could cameo/guest on this I'll be a happy citizen.

13. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

He's done a tv series before so it wouldn't be a new environment for him but as the EW article mentions he's a busy guy and getting him for a tv series could be tricky.

However - if Netflix went a shorter seasons (say 13 eps each) it might be more workable.

14. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

In fact MC1 kinda reminds of Urban's aborted tv series Almost Human. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Human_(TV_series)

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'll be crossing my fingers that this gets made.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I they can get Urban to star or at least have a recurring role that would be ideal, but regardless, if this can live up to the tone and aesthetic of the 2012 movie I'm looking forward to it. I think Netflix picking it up would be perfect.

Brefugee likes this.
  17. Vorpal_Blade

Vorpal_Blade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am looking forward to this.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by...the Judges."

DOINK-DOINK

ATimson likes this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral