Joss Whedon talks Kickstarter and Firefly sequel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=101604

I hope this debate ends for a short while. I'm looking forward to the VM movie though! :eek:

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's something disturbing about the woman in your avatar Dream.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's spelled "Guy Gardner" not "Guy Gardener".

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Depends on what you want in your garden, doesn't it?

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whedon thought to himself "Oh shit, now they're going to actually expect me to do this.".

6. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Poor Whedon. Just when he starts to see a degree of success...

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I'm sure his massive Marvel paychecks are treating him just fine, not to mention allowing him tremendous latitude for whatever future pet projects he'll want to make. He'll be alright. :p

8. Forbin

I don't think he'd be unhappy to at all to do another Firefly film. He loves the actors and the universe like family. I guess the hard part would be to figure out what everybody would be doing 10 years later. Sure, Mal may still be a tramp freighter captain, and Kaylee may still be his mechanic because she loved the life, and there's no reason for Zoe to have moved on either. But Jayne always wanted his own ship; River and Simon's need to flee has been removed, so none of them should still be hanging around. There's a chance Mal and Inara finally hooked up and maybe she's still traveling with him, hopefully having switched trades...

9. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

stop teasing us Joss :(

10. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the suggestion, Temis. Now look what you've done. I hate Joss Whedon. I hate Firefly and hated Serenity. It was a good movie in principle but It was Blake's Seven not to mention a story of mine which I had floating around guys like Manny coto for years. People don't just do things for others for money, but sometimes for clout.

Whedon is an angry light weight hack. He does things for money. Ridley Scott has lost it upstairs and is being comendeered and controlled by greedy mediocre predators. He's lost his starch and backbone too by these amorphous monsters from Bad Robot that he works with.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  11. Forbin

"Does things for money" pretty much describes every single employed person on the face of the Earth. Not seeing the problem with it.

12. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

:cardie:

13. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somehow this is my fault? :rommie: Joss, I as only kidding, honest!

Using kickstarter to fund big-screen movies is the wrong idea. Theater owners aren't going to be impressed at some niche-market frenzy because that isn't their business. They want a mainstream audience that will fill theaters on opening weekend all across the country and more importantly, buy lots of overpriced popcorn. A few million rabid fans isn't going to fill theaters, no matter how enthused they are. Serenity's mediocre box office was about what you'd expect for a niche fanbase.

Instead, make a 13 episode season and put it on streaming, via your own site, Netflix or Amazon or Hulu or all of the above. That's the best venue for fan-backed content like this. Leave the theater owners to their tentpoles and jujubees.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the show at the time, but I don't really see the need to bring it back for another movie. Not when the first one already wrapped things up pretty well.

16. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Killing people is also lucrative I hear and sometimes even popular. :guffaw: