John Simm wants to be the Master again

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Bob The Skutter, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

So he'd like to play the Master darker than before, it's RTDs fault he played him like he did and blames himself for the blonde hair. I'd like to see him do the Master more seriously.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd definitely like to see him as the Master, at least one more time, be great to see him and the 11th Doctor cross paths.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Just like the Dalek's, the Master is one of those villians that won't stay dead.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Thank goodness.

5. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

A cosmos without The Master doesn't bear thinking about.

6. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

And with a goatee

7. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

You mean a beard? :D

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

If Sylvester McCoy can change the Seventh Doctor from a bumbling clown to a dangerous manipulator, I don't see why John Simm can't make the Master more sane.

9. Jim Steele

A cosmos without The Master doesn't beard thinking about.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I definitely want to see John Simm's darker, quieter take on The Master. Make this happen, Moffat!

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I liked Simm's performance as the Master. He combined the best aspects of Roger Dalgado and Anthony Ainley and brought something unique of himself to the role.

That being said, seeing him take a darker more serious approach to the character is guaranteed to be awesome.

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I didnt like the giggling lunatic myself, or the blond hair. A Master played as a dark reflection of the Doctor would be my preferred take on the character.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I didn't particularly like Simm's Master myself. As a character with another name, pehaps I could've enjoyed him more, but, the way performance we go, just didn't feel "Master-y" to me. I'd be willing to see Simm take another crack at the role with a new take on him for Moffat, to see if I enjoy it any more than RTD Era. Definitey start with the dark hair and Goatee, if they make this happen.

14. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would love to see him return as well but here is the thing about any return of The Master. At least from my interpretation of TEOT I assumed The Master went with the other Time Lords i.e. back into the Time Lock. So if that's the case then he would have to break it to return to the series. Now this could be a way of bringing The Time Lords back in some capacity.

15. Jim Steele

^ One of Doctor Who's greatest strengths, and one of its biggest problems, is that the writers can do anything they damn well please. The set up doesn't have any rules, and any walls erected by one writer can be easily broken by the next. If they're bothering to "respect" continuity at all.

The last time he came back from the abyss it was explained away by the line "the timelords resurrected me". That's it. That's all anyone needed.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you seen the "Eleventh Hour" Doctor Who confidential?

Moffat at the read through table had this cloud of superiority around him

"I am Steven Moffat, head writer and executive producer of Doctor Who"

Methinks he's got a bit of "Executive Producer Victorious" going on.

17. Jim Steele

I wasn't really talking in terms of arrogance, but in scope. There's nothing that can't be undone or contradicted, or ignored. On the subject of Moffat, though, frankly he deserves every particle of superiority he can cram into his skull so more power to him ;)

18. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, the 50th anniversary without the Master doesn't bear thinking about...

19. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, it seems it would take something quite unusual to happen to allow the Master to return and not the other Timelords. And after what he discovered about his past, would he want to go back to his old universe ruling self?

But damn the story logic. I wouldn't mind seeing him back.

I'm not sure I'd take that comment quite that seriously. Hes been a fan since he was a small kid, and here he is at the first readthrough of the first story of the show he's now running. Can't say I blame him for having a *Squee* moment. :)

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, even in the classic era whenever it seemed the Master died and he came back it was rarely dwelled on. Usually we just had dialogue like:

Doctor: "I thought you died when [reference to the Master's previous appearance]."
    Master: "Obviously not."