JMS on the Babylon Podcast

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by glindros, Jun 18, 2009.

1. glindros

glindros Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you missed the Babylon Podcast live feed this week, you missed the interview of the year. If you are a B5 fan, but not a regular listener, this is the show to download.

Last night on the live feed Hosts Summer Brooks and Tim Callender spoke with jms for over two hours ranging on topics from Lensmen, to growing up on the move, to the chances for a B5 Movie.

I like to think of this as the jms speech for those of us that couldn't make it to MIT.

Some of the items discussed tread over familiar ground, other things were discussed or revealed in ways I had not heard before.

It will be released over two weeks (6/25 part 1, and 7/1 part 2) due to the length of the interview.

http://www.babylonpodcast.com

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I went to see that dumb-ass movie "Year One" and missed this? Well ... crap on a stick!

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Looking forward to hearing this.

Jan

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Was out seeing Star Trek for the fourth time and missed out. Oh, well. Looking forward to hearing it when it's released in two-parts.

5. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I keep forgetting about this podcast. Every time I've lsitened to one, I've laughed my ass off. Especially the alcohol filled eps.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Darn, I was watching DS9 on TV and missed this.

7. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Can someone care to summarise for those of us that aren't going to download it?

8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Not to be mean, but no. I've heard it now thanks to a helpful friend and I honestly think that it wouldn't do anybody much good to try to summarize a two hour interview. There were questions about Crusade, about any hopes for B5 in the future, about the WB business model, about what JMS is doing now, about selling B5 and who owns what rights, about the SFX, about the effect B5 has had on the TV industry and many more I'm sure I'm not remembering.

As Glindros said they're going to break the interview into two podcasts. I highly recommend it.

Jan

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

He asked for a summary, not a written transcript. Most people just want the big points, the biggest and most obvious: is there going to be anymore tv/movies in the B5 setting?

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

The risk is that too often paraphrasing what JMS says gets misunderstood. A good case in point is something that he said at his MIT appearance which has gotten badly mangled.

To the question above...Maybe, but probably not soon. WB owns everything to do with the B5 universe except the movie rights which JMS owns. It's pretty well known that JMS announced last year that he's not interested in doing any more low-budget B5, that he's told WB that it needs to be a big-budget movie that will add to the B5 universe rather than detract from it. JMS said that an exec at WB did approach him and ask how much he would need and JMS told him. It's pretty much been left at that but JMS is confident that, should he come up with a story that he really burns to tell, he could approach WB and they could make a deal, especially now that he's actually a known entity in feature film circles. But until he comes up with that story he's content to wait.

There doesn't seem to be any inclination on the part of WB to put the show into syndication which would help keep the show in the public awareness and help attract new fans so there's little hope of anything else happening in TV or radio drama or books or other new media. JMS explained how the corporate structure of WB where each department is in competition with each other is largely responsible for this situation.

Jan

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds interesting...I missed it because I didn't even know about it...

12. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

That's okay, all you missed was the live feed. The actual podcast will be posted in about a week and they don't take them down so it'll be available whenever.

Jan

13. glindros

glindros Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

14. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

"We know our show came from your show."

Wow.

15. Bri

Bri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yup. That's as close to an actual admission as I've heard. Crazy.

Bri :rommie:

16. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Yeah, :eek:.

So far, interesting stuff. Thanks for bumping the thread when it came out, I hope you do the same when part 2 gets posted. :techman:

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

What's that? A Star Trek person admitted they ripped off B5 for DS9? I'm on dial-up I don't wanna hafta download something :p ;)

18. Bri

Bri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Joe said that back when they were working on B5, Peter Jurasik came up to him and related a message from an unnamed DS9 castmember. Peter had been at a party the night before and ran into him/her. This cast member said "we know our show came from your show, so good luck with what you are doing".

Bri :rommie:

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Oh. I thought one of the creative people had made the admission. A message related from Joe from Peter from a cast member from somebody in charge isn't quite the same thing. Still, I'm intrigued, and am downloading part one of this now.

20. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't wait to get home and give this a listen, well, after a nice steak dinner :P

Also can't believe that anyone still harbours notions that DS9 ripped off B5.