Jim Henson's The Storyteller

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 23, 2017.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been rewatching this series on and off for a while now, and I was just wondering if there are any other fans of it here.
    For those who aren't aware of it, the basic premise is that we are being told old legends, myths and folk tales by a Storyteller, played by John Hurt in the first season and Micheal Gambon, and his talking dog, a Creature Shop puppet performed and voiced by Brian Henson in both seasons. The first season was based around European stories, and the second is focused on Greek myths.
    I love these kinds of folk tales and myths, and the first season did a really good job of picking less well known stories.
    All of the show's creatures were animatronic puppets created by Jim Henon's Creature Shop and they are awesome, some of their best work.
    One of the other things I like is the way they have the characters from the stories interacting with the Storyteller's world. As he tells the stories we tend to see the characters around him, for example in Fearnot, the episode I watched this morning, there is a point where the characters are at a pond and they show them sitting on the lip of a bowl of water. In other episodes we see the character walking through stained glass windows, paintings, and as silhouette's in fire in the Storyteller and his dog's fireplace.
    I'm part way through season one right now.

2. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I adore this series and got it on dvd the moment it came out years ago. I remember when it first aired being creeped out by the episode where they capture death, love that one, and just think the series in general is one of the most creative ever.

I never saw season 2 when it aired for some reason, so picked that up blind, but loved it as well. Not as much as season 1 (Hurt is just perfect) but it was still great.

In 2002-ish, back in my college days, one of my (unfinished) amimation school projects was basically me trying to mimic the series with my own (poorly written) story about a raven and a prisoner. Even used the music from the show, such was my love for it.

I have a hardcover comic as well that had some good stories in it, haven't read that in awhile though.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I am a fan. Watched it on rental VHS back in the day, bought the DVD as soon as it came out. :)

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Either of you guys read the comics?

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Nah.

6. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The one I have had a mixture of stories, with varying degrees of quality. Some great, some meh. One of which, though, was an adaptation from an unused script from the writer of the series, as I recall.