Jefferies tube painted on in "Lessons"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by marsh8472, Dec 27, 2017.

1. marsh8472

marsh8472 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

You can tell the jefferies tube behind them is painted on by the different color and being able to see the shadow on it. It was a little disappointing to have the fake background right in the center of the footage like that

Galileo7 likes this.
  2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's supposed to be used for background shots. I was pretty gobsmacked back in the day when I first saw that. :D

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's actually a dimensional gateway applied by Ensign Wile E. Coyote.

4. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Must be Q hiding in plain sight...

Actually I never noticed that, probably due to Nella Daren being onscreen the hottest person to appear on TNG

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Technically that's a translight, which is artwork or a photo printed onto a clear surface and light from behind.

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yeah, that's really fake looking.

This use of a trompe l'oeil painted backdrop in the original Outer Limits is more convincing -- and it's from 1963.

[​IMG]

Galileo7, Kor and Vger23 like this.
  8. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

The problem is, there is also literally a shadow cast on the forced perspective, which includes ceiling lights.

9. φ of π

φ of π Captain Captain

First time I saw this (before noticing the TNG tag) I thought it was Captain Janeway.

10. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And if they want to use something flat with perspective in it like that, they also really need to lock the camera down. Any kind of movement gives it away.

I don't know about that, but I always thought that keyboard was one of the corniest props ever to appear on TNG.

11. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Okay but if you watch it on a TV manufactured in 1980, with a 19 inch screen , it looks totally real.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It looked crummy on my old TV and a bootlegged tape back in the '90s and it looks crummy now. :)

13. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Perspective translights/paintings only work from one single viewpoint or angle. Getting it off by just a couple of degrees and the effect is ruined.
    That jefferies tube translight was designed to be seen from directly the junction, whoever set up that shot was a moron.

14. Nakita Akita

Maybe when I rewatch this episode in a year or two I might remember to notice this.
    But honestly, I never even noticed this.

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now the trick is to come up with a plausible in-universe explanation for stuff like this that looks funky to the viewing audience.

Kor

16. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

The door on that jeffries tube was broken so Nella Darren set up a forcefield blocking the audio because the perfect accoustics only work when that specific tube is closed. An anti audio forcefield was also used in Coming of Age, they didn't want to bother everyone just doing their work with a bunch of explosions and Wesley screaming for help.
    Audio forcefields just happen to distort the view a bit, it's called the "painted wall effect" and affects humans the most, their immediate reaction is to think "That's not a hallway, that's a painted wall, do they think I'm stupid?", audio forcefields are rarely used on ships and starbases mostly manned by humans for that reason, Wesley not noticing the forcefield was the real reason he didn't make it, had he realized they were just fucking with him right away he would have been on the next ship back to earth in his new cadet uniform.

Nakita Akita, Kor and Jedman67 like this.
  17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a weird soft spot for matte set extensions. So I forgive it, even if the director had a little too much faith in it's realism.

18. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

The scene has more problems, as well. For example:

That roll-out piano she laid down, suddenly grew legs when she was seen playing it shortly later in that scene.

Nakita Akita and J.T.B. like this.
  19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then again, it's supposed to be a set, in-universe. There's a fake room behind the doors Wes is headed for, too... :p

Clearly, this whole wing is dedicated to training tomfoolery. That the forced perspective mural doesn't cue Wes to this fact shouldn't be taken as testimony for his stupidity, though - not if every second wall in that wing is covered with such a mural, or worse. :devil:

Timo Saloniemi

Nakita Akita likes this.
  20. Nakita Akita

You guys are killing me!
    Now I'm going to have to watch the episode tonight