Spoilers Jean-Luc Picard's History

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kilana2, Feb 19, 2020.

?

Which Picard history/future do you prefer?

1. All Good Things Timeline - Admiral Picard divorced from Beverly, Troi gone, Riker Admiral

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yesterday's Enterprise Timeline - War with the Klingons and Tasha alive

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. The Litverse Timeline - Picard as father of a little son, married to Beverly, still a Captain

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Star Trek - Picard Timeline - gone from Starfleet, facing crisises, still trying to save people

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  5. None - They should have left Picard's fate alone after Nemesis

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Other Picard future option

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I post this in the General Trek discussion. If the mods think it belongs into the future of Trek, feel free to move it there.

But it may also contain parts of Picard's past (All good things.....), so I guess General Trek Discussion is the right place.

Which of Picard's history, especially the future, do you prefer and why?

2. Khan Jr

Khan Jr Lieutenant Red Shirt

I haven't read enough of the literature to evaluate its perspective. Of the others, I prefer what we're seeing in Star Trek: Picard, if only because it's still unfolding.

Dying aboard the ship while resolving a temporal crisis, as in Yesterday's Enterprise and All Good Things, is heroic, but doesn't feel like enough of a capstone considering it leads to another iteration of Picard continuing onward as usual.

I do like the last scene of Nemesis... that hopeful smile on Picard's face as he walks forward. If The Next Generation was an independent work, that open-endedness would be enough for me. If other Star Trek series are going to be made that are set afterward, though, they beg the question of "whatever happened to Picard?" (the question of what happened to Crusher / Kim / Mr. Mot is easier to ignore)

Kilana2 likes this.
  3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Litverse.

For God's sake, give the man SOME chance at happiness.

XCV330, Kilana2 and Qonundrum like this.
  4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Either "ATG" or "NONE"; the latter lets fans come up with their own stories and creativity. All while escaping "small universe syndrome" too.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Any universe where Troi is dead is a good universe.

Winterwind likes this.
  6. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I prefer my own fan fic headcanon. ;)

However... I voted "none". I would have preferred for them to leave his future open after Nemesis. Gives us fan fic writers something to do.

7. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

So the first PIC novel isn’t “litverse”? The problem is there is no such thing as a ‘verse there, only tie-ins of various parent events that try to be consistent with one another after they’ve fulfilled their main purpose of tying into the source. If we always think of them as tie-ins first and foremost, there is much less disappointment when they need to start tying into something else. In this case I’d probably refer to these as PIC vs TNG tie-ins, which automatically implies shared elements, but nothing as formal as a ‘verse branching off as Space-2017 vs Space-2002.

8. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

I’m liking where the current Picard series is going. He’s still essentially trying to continue the spirit of the TNG years in a post-Dominion War, post-Romulan supernova, isolationist Starfleet galaxy. All while remaining separate from his former crew on the Enterprise.

I’ve never read the litverse, but from the brief description, that’s clearly the happiest future for Picard.

Yesterday’s Enterprise – while a liked episode and it is good to see Tasha Yar again and have her around, is rather militaristic and borders on being the mirror universe. It may as well been the mirror universe.

AGT – at least the Enterprise-D is still around as the Galaxy-X class. And although Troi is dead, it’s entirely possible that Rene Picard still lives, although its never mentioned as its not relevant and just assumed that he is.

And I do agree that there was a hopefulness in the final scene of Nemesis, that there would be a return to exploring. It was basically a reset back to “Encounter at Farpoint,” but now in a post-war setting, and possibly a post-Borg setting, and with the technological advancements made by the Voyager crew. ST’09 destroyed that hopeful future though.

One future I did like was when he became an Ambassador to Vulcan in the Countdown comics. It meant that he listened to Kirk’s advice to not let them promote him to admiral since he wouldn’t be able to make a difference as one. And that Data came back to life and became captain of the Enterprise-E.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Other. Ended up lost in the past.

Kilana2 likes this.
  10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't say until Picard S1 is over.

11. Kilana2

Q would like this thread.....:D
    [​IMG]

But I'm not fond of "Lieutenant Picard" - as was shown in Tapestry. No career for Picard at all. What a sad timeline...

12. Mr. Laser Beam

No...in the novelverse, Picard is still captain of the Enterprise (and, for reasons I dare not reveal, can't ever be promoted to the admiralty). Also, Riker and Troi are still in Starfleet (Riker is an Admiral), their daughter is named Tasha (not Kestra as in PIC). Picard is married to Beverly and they have a son named René.

13. Boris Skrbic

I’m just pointing out that the “litverse” obviously cannot be defined as the tie-in “continuity” that existed before PIC, as if the latter did something to the ”litverse” no other show had previously done. The novel is just a tie-in to PIC as opposed to TNG (or more specifically NEM). It isn’t canon either, merely highly coordinated with the first ten episodes it seems, but in S2 we may easily see some fairly obvious divergences. Therefore, the book is either “litverse” also, or that’s just not a ‘verse, merely tie-ins with strict to loose to no continuity between one another.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

The difference is, the novelverse only really began when there was no Trek TV series on the air. So it had a chance to develop its own internal continuity, and maintained it for years. In a very real sense, PIC actually DID do something to the novelverse that no other series had done - because when previous Trek series were on the air, there WAS no novelverse.

15. Boris Skrbic

No, because a lake doesn’t become a lake only when someone stops causing ripples in it. The “litverse” has always been substantially the same construct, so when more canon comes along it’s just the same old years later.

16. Kilana2

I'm not sure if I like the direction the Picard show takes. On the other hand, in the Litverse Picard had to deal with the Borg invasion and the loss of uncountable lives. No Rios, but also no Seven as avanging angel but an adviser instead.

The ST-Picard timeline more and more seems to me like a Q devised timeline or a Mirror version.

17. Boris Skrbic

It’s better to say “in the pre-PIC novels” and retire the ambiguous “Litverse” construct (what about the technical literature that usually ignores novels?)

18. Kilana2

The Picard echo still stuck in the Nexus maybe lives a completely different life....

19. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, when I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was on his long Starfleet career. There is a great deal we never saw of his career... he was captain of the Stargazer before all his Enterprise-D comrades were even born.

They could easily do a STARGAZER spinoff, and I know the perfect person to play young Picard... the same man who played young Professor X.

James McAvoy.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Guinan only had an echo because she was beamed out by the Enterprise-B. Since Picard and Kirk weren't, they don't have them.

Khan Jr likes this.