January Art Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by WinstonSmith, Jan 8, 2013.

1. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So, despite the possibility that Vektor (or someone else) comes in and blows everyone else's entries out of the water, here's my take on the January challenge. I've tried to echo the design of the TOS engine room while also taking stylistic cues from the nu-enterprise sets. In particular the windows at the top of the frame were inspired by the position of the emergency manual monitor in TOS

[​IMG]

Comments and critiques are welcomed (just don't be too mean though ;) )

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I humbly withdraw my admittedly snarky statement in the other thread.

THAT.

IS.

AMAZING!!!

Starting at the bottom I see you have something akin to the bracketed "drums" from the first season of TOS, the second floor has the monitoring stations paying homage to the layout introduced in "The Doomsday Machine" (and used for the rest of the series). The next level has the curved bulkheads to tie it in with the '09 movie. and above that are the windows you already mentioned.

I will admit I'm puzzled by the fan. I kinda' expected to see a glimpse a "vaulted hallway" of tubes protected by a barrier of some sort rather than an atmospheric circulation mechanism.

I assume you already had this in the works and this month's challenge proved the perfect time to debut it.

Sincerely,

Bill

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice! Some sort of cooling liquid in the bottom there?

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Nice, but I'd add control panels, displays and some kind of buttons. I'd certainly expect emergency shutdown buttons somewhere in that room.

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Wow.

Okay, what I like: The stairway in the middle of the control consoles is an excellent homage, the "energizer" (or whatever they are) structures you have down there are brilliant, it all really does JJ-Trek the enginering room nicely.

Things I'd like to see change: If this where a ground based facility, then an open pool of coolant fluid probably wouldn't be a big deal, but as much as a starship gets knocked around, I expect it'd be pretty problematic. Also, I'm not sure I get the fan either...

What I'd like to see: Besides the console along the wall with the stairs running up it, the two features which really make the (season 2 and 3) engine room set for me are the dilithium pedestal thingy and the so-called "cathedral pipes" behind the mesh. I'd love to see your take on these two elements. Maybe flooring over the water and having a big burly, somewhat trapezoidal piece of machinery in there and doing something behind a grill in the wall that looks like the biggest damn V-8 we ever saw!

Wonderful start though.

--Alex

6. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Spectacular!

7. WinstonSmith

Thanks guys! glad you like it! I really appreciate it
    yeah, the issues that you've mentioned I was also sorta thinking about myself. With that in mind, here's version 2.0;

[​IMG]

I was trying to allude to the 'cathedral' with the big fan grill, but I've tried to make the pipe machinery more visible here. And I've also added a version of the floor thingamabob and changed the water to more suggest 'heat haze' or something

8. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

looks amazing so far!

9. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure about having an actual giant fan in there, although some sort of spinning thing there would be pretty cool.

10. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Yeah! This is well on its way to being the winning entry!

--Alex

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Epic so far :)

12. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

That's pretty wicked - I really like the multiple levels, the overall depth, and the palette definitely fits into the JJPrise, while the details are a very nice homage to the TOS set.

And while I wouldn't necessarily put the fan there, it's become something of a sci-fi trope to have a giant fan in a set - that apparently says, "The Future!" So having a giant fan or fans elsewhere in the set, somewhere more plausible (like in the ceiling, where they could be explained as exhaust fans required because of the sheer volume of the room, or because of the heat generated there), I could buy.

Very nice! :D

13. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I'm not even going to try to top this. :techman:

14. WinstonSmith

Wow, Coming from you that means a lot! Thanks! :techman:

And thanks everybody else too!