James Rollins's Sigma Fore: The Movie!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 8, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if anyone else here is a fan, but they just announced yesterday that James Rollin's Sigma Force books have been optioned for a movie by Dino De Laurentiis.

Here's the announcement from his blog:
    I really like the fact that they're doing an original story. I'm a huge fan of the books, and I really wouldn't have wanted to see one of the books slice up the way things have to be to make the transition from page to screen.
    I just hope he uses the Guild and Seichan, they are easily two of my favorite parts of the series.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I have them all but Sandstorm and got hooked after reading Map of Bones.
    It then took a few months but I just read Black Order last month. I have the third book in the series Judas Strain up next. Spacing them out cause his last book, Alter of Eden, wasn't Sigma but then I found out he is planning a 7th book in the series tenatively titled The Devil Colony.

The two I've read were very intricate. Especially Map of Bones, I don't know if even a 2.5hr movie would suffice. They'd have to cut some sections out for sure.

Thanks for posting this and its a project I'm going to follow!

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, that's why I'm glad it's gonna be an original story, and not one of the books.

4. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

I have to agree, trying to fit a Sigma book into a movie would not work.
    I am glad to see this though. I have been reading Rollins' books since he first started. Although I am glad he switched from standalones to the Sigma books. His standalones were very formulaic. I liked the formula, which is why I kept buying them, but the Sigma's are much better written. I guess that just comes with experience.
    I look forward to the movie.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know about how anybody else feels but Michael Chiklis would be a perfect Monk to me.
    And Zhang Ziyi or Michelle Yeo need to be Seichan.

6. Nathan_Heller

Nathan_Heller Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am a huge fan of the novels of James Rollins and would welcome a movie, but the name Dino de Laurentiis associated with it makes me cringe. I keep thinking King Kong 1977.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was my thought too. Alot of the movies I've heard associated with his name have been really cheesy, both good (Flash Gordon) and bad (King Kong '77).