News James Cromwell Arrested

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by AutoAdmin, Jul 3, 2017.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

Actor James Cromwell, best-known to Trek fans for his role as Zefram Cochrane in Star Trek: First Contact, was arrested and sentenced...

Continue reading...

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Honestly, if I were him, I'd pay the fine. It doesn't mean you're not standing together; it means you acknowledge you did what you did.

Sibyl likes this.
  3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I respect this.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  4. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

He's about to go on a not so Magic Carpet Ride!

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me, too.

Greysun, Phil123 and Mage like this.
  6. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have insufficient information on what this protest was about to know whether or not I respect this.
    "Power to the people" - offer not to be construed as including electric power?

How do these traffic stoppages effect emergency services?

I have never heard of anyone dying because of a traffic stoppage, though I have read a news article about a child whose family was taking him to the hospital who had to be rescued because they got stuck in the traffic of a BLM protest, and barely made it. It may be only a matter of time.

7. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

So, Cromwell was jailed because he had refused to pay a $300 something fine for participating in a protest against a power plant back in 2015? Is that it?

Perhaps not paying the fine and being willing to go to jail was Cromwell's way of acknowledging what he did and what he was protesting against.

8. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can get fined for slowing down traffic? I do that all the time. :shrug:
    Wasting other peoples time has been my greatest source of amusement for as long as I can remember. :ouch:

9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Am I being cynical if I think that when actors do stuff like this, it's really just a publicity stunt?

Kor

10. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

In the Civil Rights movement, Dr. King spent his night in jail and paid the fine.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Whether it is the New Jersey gov shutting down beaches or bridges--or protestors blacoking roads--remember that might be your loved one in an ambulance trying to get through.

13. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I won't speak for his area, but over here in my state (Florida), you can for at least two reasons:

1. It's unlawful in the state of Florida to go 10MPH or more under the posted speed limit unless otherwise posted.

2. At a local level, my county a few years ago had to do something about slow moving vehicles which were occupying both lanes and creating what they called "rolling roadblocks" that were hindering emergency services such as the fire department, ambulances, and police; they'd roll and not even move out of the way (I've witnessed it). A big deal if your house is on fire, or you or a loved one is having a heart attack, or somebody is breaking into your house, and any other example I didn't cite.

I'm sure if I researched it, I could find other reasons for being fined for slowing traffic down.

14. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eh, I don't care who you are. Slowing down traffic isn't cool, at all.

Qonundrum likes this.