Jadzia Dax-centric or heavy DS9 novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by discoverworlds, Mar 6, 2017.

1. discoverworlds

discoverworlds Ensign Newbie

I'm pretty new to the fandom and have fallen in love with Jadzia Dax's character. I was wondering if you guys can point me to any novels that feature Jadzia Dax? I've tried to do some research on my own but alas, there's so many novels out there...

Thanks in advance!

2. discoverworlds

discoverworlds Ensign Newbie

Aside from The Lives of Dax, of course...

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ds9 story anthology has some Jadzia Stories in it. Also The Dominon war story anthology. .

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Devil You Know" by Heather Jarman in Prophecy and Change is a really good Jadzia story.

I'm struggling to recall any novels focusing on her.

DS9forever likes this.
  5. Reanok

I recall that a series of Ds9 books which Jadzia is important to the story is the Millenniumn miniseries books by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens are Book 1 The fall of Terok Nor book 2The war of the Prophets Book 3 Inferno.

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Time's Enemy was a good novel for showcasing Jadzia as a science officer.

borgboy likes this.
  7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Now it's been nearly a decade since I read Tales of the Dominion War, but for the life of me, I don't recall a story where Jadzia appears let alone one that focused on her.

8. Reanok

Jadzia wasn't alone in the story but she does have a important role to play in it . In the Dominion war stories books that take place during Sixth season of Ds9 in one of the books Jadzia Dax is in command of the Defiant and has secret missions behind enemy lines. Attacking the Jem Haddar it was a weapons plant.

9. Brefugee

Are you on about Tales of the Dominion War short story anthology as you said or the adaptation of A Time to Stand or Behind the Lines? As it sounds like those two episodes.

10. Reanok

To answer your question The tales of the Dominion and the tv novelizations from season 6 of ds9 .Memory alpha has the stories Information listed on their website.

11. Brefugee

Ah, so both of them, although I just flicked through my copy of Tales of the Dominion War and going by the War Correspondences at the beginning of each story, none of the stories would feature Jadzia, let alone mention her, the first one to be set on DS9 or Defiant is Mirror Eyes and that is after she is dead.

As for the novelisations of the Season Six episodes and Jadzia appearing in them, well that is a given, she is near deaths door in Rocks and Shoals and then in Behind the Lines she is given command of Defiant.

And I have the anthology on my book case.

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Antimatter has an interesting Sisko/Dax storyline, but with the early novels, as I recall from Voyages Of Imagination, a lot of authors found the character of Dax hard to write as they really had no idea what her character was suppose to be about.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I was annoyed by how many of them wrote her dialogue as very cool and formal, as if they were writing Spock.

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, the tv show writers had no idea how to write her at first, either, and "cool and formal" is an okay extrapolation from her characterization in some early episodes, which tended to emphasize how her age made her serene and above it all. Jadzia's characterization as fun-loving and emotional didn't really emerge until late Season 2, with stories like "Playing God," as the writers figured out how to play to Terry Ferrell's strengths.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  15. Christopher

Serene, yes, but in a warm and kindly way, not aloof and Vulcan-like. And at least she used contractions and casual language. Too many novelists had her speaking in a much more stilted way, as if they were writing Spock or Data. That's not about personality, it's just about having an ear for her speech pattern.

16. Hugh Cambridge

Hugh Cambridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I'm currently finishing "Antimatter" and if she has indeed this way of speaking you describe, there is also a good character development, espescially considering that she takes Curzon point of view when she has to act in a very seductive way as a female. That makes very weird situations (imagine a woman in a sexy dress having memories from a previous male host and discoverimg her sex-appeal :D) and gives some insight on what being a Trill is about.
    I do like this one :techman:

borgboy likes this.
  17. Christopher

Antimatter was fairly good, as I recall, but its premise was a bit odd. The idea that Bajor was setting up its own shipyard to build Starfleet vessels as early as season 2 seemed like a stretch to me even at the time, and even more so in retrospect. Also, the idea that antimatter was a rare and carefully controlled substance and that there'd never been any on the station before was kind of strange. It would've been a plausible idea in isolation, but it didn't quite fit what was established elsewhere. I guess Vornholt didn't read the technical primer that was provided to aspiring writers for the show, since it said the station's fusion reactors were spiked by minute amounts of antimatter. The later, mass-market DS9 Technical Manual abandoned this idea (along with the bit about the power transfer system being microwave-based wave guides and one or two other early details), but what about photon torpedoes in the weapons sails? What about all the warp-driven ships that had docked at the station over the years, or that were stored aboard it, like runabouts?

18. Reanok

I liked Antimatter it's been a along time since it. I did like Jadzia's story arc with Ben Sisko in this novel.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  19. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Jadzia has a fairly substantial role in Warchild, although as it is primarily a medical story Bashir is the focus.

20. Reanok

I liked Trials and Tribblelation s tv novelization having Jadzia talking to Ben Sisko about meeting Leonard McCoy and other things she liked about the 23rd century.

DS9forever likes this.