Jack the Giant Slayer (2013) - Grading and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gaith, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

... Just kidding! I don't give half a hoot, either. :p

[​IMG]

Someone told me there was a golden script
    somewhere up here!

[RIGHT].[/RIGHT]

2. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

I actually enjoyed it. Rather a lot.

3. Gaith

^ Red Letter Media's Mike Stoklassa also gave it a suprisingly positive review, so maybe it'd be worth a Netflixing someday. Given its rotten box office, in any case, it's sure to be a one-off.

As for the persistent matter of gender discrimination in Hollywood (more than one of the reviews I've read were puzzled at the lack of female giants), the main cast list only features two females, with only one with a name. One. Oy.

4. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Why would her name be: "Oy"? Is that short for Olive Oyl?

5. Gaith

^ No, it's "Oy" because when the character was young, everyone thought she was a boy; there being so few females around they forgot she could be one. Then, when they realized their mistake, they decided to call her Oy because a girl is somewhat less than a boy.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw it last weekend and really enjoyed it...it actually surpassed my expectations. The film has a really strong cast that shines in the film, it's beautifully shot (maybe one of Singer's best shot films) and Ottman's score is top notch as usual. Eleanor Tomilson was enthralling as Princess Isabell and I loved the way how Singer attempted to play around with the notion of fairy tales and history. I am planning to see this at least once more in theatre and I'll be buying it when it comes out on Blu-Ray. It's a shame no one seems to be seeing it.

7. Gaith

Well, opening less than two months after The Hobbit and only a week or two before Oz was a seriously strange move...

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure where else they could have slated it. This was pushed back from last year originally where I think it was a planned 2012 Summer release. They weren't about to pack it into this Summer. It's still in second place and took in ten million. It's really unfortunate, because people are missing out on a really charming film.

9. Gaith

Well, it seems clear that, at $190m, the movie was way overbudgeted: its Playmobil/shiny medieval aesthetic makes it look like a Narnia movie, but without that cultural brand, and the Jack and the Beanstalk fairy-tale source is surely snicker-inducing to teens.

That said, a mid-August release might have been better: still in the summer, but after the big blockbusters have come and gone.

10. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was pretty good... It entertained me, which is mostly what I require... One thing though.. Ewan's hair?? Seriously, dafaq?? :guffaw:

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Wow, Warners have taken a bath on this one. Had no interest in seeing, but interest kinda piqued now. Maybe as someone said upthread, it's just a nice-if-overbudgeted kids film.

12. bluepicard27

bluepicard27 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

i thought their was little character development,but still an ok film, fallon was genuinely scary to me and im 15

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw this on Redbox.

It's a really god family film.

I also didn't realize it was Ewan McGregor in the role..thought it was someone who just looked like him. There's a great line he says "I've got a bad feeling about this" that made me laugh (and wonder), and works well with the cast.

Nicholas Hoult does a good job of being the nice guy who overcomes crazy odds to win the girl (like Warm Bodies).

It's really too bad the movie didn't make much money (or somehow spent all that money in the first place).

I was also fearful that this could help sink Bryan Singer's career (with this and Superman Returns)...the way M. Night Shymalan's has been going down since after Signs. He's got an X-Men movie that should make the studios back their money, which is good. I like his style,and would hate for him to go away.

14. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

It was OK, but nothing to get excited about. I wouldn't spend anything past 3 or 4 bucks to see the movie though. Believe me, you've seen everything you'll see in this movie a thousand times already in other movies. Except for the visuals of the sky islands, there is nothing new here to see.

15. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Fun movie. Saw it on a flight.

16. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a childhood fan of the original I was compelled to check it out. I went to a matinee and sat in the front row, just like when I saw the original.

Turns out the two have little in common story-wise so I spent much of the film noticing all the changes but I still had a good time anyway. A new classic for a new generation.