it's mugato season (shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill)!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by gratone, Jul 13, 2022.

1. gratone

gratone Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

In "A Private Little War," does anyone else find it odd that both McCoy and Kirk kill the attacking mugatos? Not only kill them, but vaporize them (ie, phasers set at maximum)! What's all the more odd is that McCoy initially throws a rock at the first mugato, presumably to AVOID having to shoot it at all. Seems needlessly brutal for explorers.

Also, were the phasers already set at maximum or did they dial up the settings before firing?

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel McCoy threw the rock to get it off Kirk so he wouldn't be vaporized along with the animal.

Sure, he could have stunned it. But Kirk's life is at stake, so he couldn't gamble on stun being effective.

Warped9 likes this.
  3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Commodore Commodore

4. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Set them for stun when the security guards are slashed to death.

5. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What security guards?

6. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were an ancient complement prone to accidents commonly used in the pre-''Kirkspockenmccoy'' landing party era. They never secured a damn thing to my knowledge, and were instantly obsolete since Kirk and Spock never ordered them to take any meaningful successful action save ''check out the star-free area and report back if you make it.''

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

gorn-season-mugato-season-slower.gif

The thread title made me do it.

8. Shawnster

Shawnster Commodore Commodore

Would the stun setting work in a mugato? Did McCoy want to take the time to see?

9. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

It's TOS. With TOS there frequently isn't a reason. Just accept it and enjoy the ride. Kirk chops, punches and phasers his way to superstardom.

10. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Contrast this vs Galileo 5 where Spock specifically has them not fire to kill.

Personally, I’ve been influenced by too many Alien movies and sheepishly confess I’d be using the olde kill setting…. Sorry.

11. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By the end, they are The Galileo Five. Is this the only episode whose title changes midway through?

Farscape One and ChallengerHK like this.
  12. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

Lol…sorry. Had a major brain fart. “I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue”

13. Khan Jr

Khan Jr Lieutenant Red Shirt

Seeing the mugatu brought forth a raw, atavistic memory in Kirk; he could almost see himself being accosted by a similar creature from the wing of a primitive flying vehicle...

14. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

When TOS settles in and gets more consistent, there's only one kill setting that also vaporizes. Besides stun. In Conscience of the King I cringe at the climactic death without phasing, because it was so clearly contrived so his daughter could get all dramatic with the body.

15. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

...There is??

16. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't cringe there. It was better drama and better science fiction for Lenore's phaser to kill without vaporizing:

dupersuper, PCz911 and ChallengerHK like this.
  17. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

The same in The Man Trap which has McCoy phaser killing his fake love interest, Nancy-Salt Vampire.

18. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

So cringy

19. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Commodore Commodore

In my fanfic sequel ("The Salt Vampire Ate My Parents!"), I named the Salt Vampire "Sharon." In-universe, it was after an old girlfriend of Crater's. Real world, after a magazine article that got Sandra Gimpel's name wrong.

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

At least in TOS when someone or something is vaperised, it all seemed very clinical, quick and clean, with no suffering, so quick in fact the never even got any chance to react in any way.........wheras starting from TWOK it seems the Federation has decided a few seconds of screaming in a slow agony death was the way to go when being vaperised from a fed weapon. Lol

PCz911 and ZapBrannigan like this.