Case dismissed! Discovery and Tardigrade game "not similar"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by PicardSpeedo, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First, asking for more time is not a red flag or an indication this is going to court. CBS/Netflix likely want more time to torpedo this guys arguments. I don't see them filing a borderplate answer. They could also file several more motilons at the same time. In a previous case, when CBS got sued for copyright by a photophraer,. they went through this guys social media and found a picture he posted from gunsmoke many years previous and filed a countersuit against him.

So I'm expecting a detailed filing destroying this case, a motion to dismiss at a minimum, and likely a countersuit. All that takes time to put together.

Second, the case from this guy is really really weak and he has gone out of his way to distort things on what he has presented to the public to make his case look a lot stronger then it is.

fireproof78 likes this.
  2. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no reason to defend this guy for free either. Though from the behavior of certain people, one would certainly think someone here is apparently getting paid to attack CBS.

And according to bts people at DSC, their tardigrade didn't even start as enabling FTL travel - it was envisioned as a full time crewmember and only became a drive part when they realized they couldn't make the budget work for a Tardigrade on the bridge every episode. If CBS has dated notes showing this process, that pretty much shreds the only charge this guy had that was even remotely creible.

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, nothing like the "presumption of innocence" or anything like that...obviously CBS is guilty until proven otherwise...:rolleyes:

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

There hasn't been a MTD filed yet because the Plaintiff's attorneys MISFILED the case initially and it took them over a month to meet the requirements TO file and get CBS served. No case is dismissed out of hand. One side has to file a MTD for a Judge to consider it.

That said, I agree with you in that in a situation like this, once the MTD is ruled on, CBS (and any entertainment corporation) will weigh the cost of going to court - including the time staff would need to take away from production <--- which costs a lot of money in itself - and most likely offer a settlement to just make this all go away. Depending on what the Judge rules and what issues remain after the MTD will guide CBS decision on whether to offer a settlement; and if they do, just how much they're willing to spend.

6. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They put up with Alec Peters for what, a year, year and a half? I see them more interested in squashing this firmly and properly than opening up the door for little settlements and keep getting sued.

JoeP and BillJ like this.
  7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. We used to get letters like this at Tor periodically.

"Your new book is about a princess who tames a dragon. I once wrote a book about a princess and dragon. Pay up or I'll sue!"

And then there was the guy who claimed to have written "Moby-Dick" first!

(I swear to God, I'm not making that up.)

The point being, the Big Corporation should not be automatically assumed to be at fault. Sometimes nuisance lawsuits are just . . . nuisances.

Jedi_Master, Xerxus, JoeP and 10 others like this.
  8. Krandor

The facts on this one just don't bear up under scrutiny. All he really has is the tardigrade. All the "similar characters" really arn't similar but he has presented them in a way where it looks like it and that is enough for doomidiot and others to run with it.

Campe, Xerxus, JoeP and 2 others like this.
  9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Heh...
    Perhaps it was a typo in that persons letter and he meant to type ... "Moby's Dick"
    :guffaw:

Jedman67 and Greg Cox like this.
  10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Believe it or not, he actually demanded royalties on all copies of "Moby-Dick" sold!

And then there was the annoying summer when no less than three movie novelizations got threatening letters just because the high-concept of the movies had been done before, often many times, even though the would-be litigants were convinced that nobody else could ever come up with, say, "what if the Tooth Fairy was evil?" on their own. :)

Jedi_Master likes this.
  11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Looks at bank account... balance is still the same... why do I care?

12. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel sorry for the people who are so single-minded in their hate of a TV show that they actually take pleasure in this.

Amaris, Jedi_Master, JoeP and 9 others like this.
  13. psCargile

psCargile Captain Captain

How 'bout a dragon that tames a princess. Except the dragon is a nobleman and ... oh shit. Curse you William Shakespeare!

Gingerbread Demon and Greg Cox like this.
  14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not for the guy suing them.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

You have not experienced Melville until you have read him in the original Klingon.

"JIHvaD ponglu' Ish-ma'el"

16. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Shouldn't that be Moby Two Dicks then? :whistle:

17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think it is the show, per se, more taking shots at CBS and corporations in general. As we all know, they are evil, after all ;)

PicardSpeedo likes this.
  18. Krandor

Yeah. it is more people who want the 60s star trek show back on the air. Among some circles it has become fashionable to bash CBS/P

seigezunt likes this.
  19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

And said people who still have two months to wait for The Orville to start up again.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't think there are too many people who want the original show back on the air. That ship sailed back in the late-70's. Even most people who don't like Discovery, really don't care about the lawsuit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.