Is There Even A REMOTE Chance Of A New Trek Series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Dayton3, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

A lot that I'm reading around seems to be that if the new Trek movie is a big success that a new series (some claim likely to be in the same era as the movie) is likely to be made.

Has this possibility even been mentioned by anyone at Paramount or anyone with any kind of input?

Or is this just some kind of assumption?

Seems to me that a very successful Trek movie would simply create the demand for another Trek movie as a highly successful movie franchise has a possiblity of being more profitable than a tv series.

And it takes what? At least 18 months from the go ahead for a Trek series to actually hit the air.

So even if the movie is a huge hit and a new series is made, we're looking at three years before we see a thing onscreen.

Has the possibility of a new series even been discussed yet?

2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

As of now, it's just an assumption. Maybe things are being discussed behind closed doors, but nothing's been hinted at officially.

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Some people still think a possible Titan TV series with Riker is on the table.

4. cardinal biggles

Some people think the long-awaited TNG/DS9/VOY super-mega-crossover is possible, too.

5. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Because of rights and royalties involved I entirely believe that a TREK TV show based on any aspect of any of the Berman Era shows is absolutely out of the picture. So, no RIKER show...no DS9/TNG/VOY cross over is ever going to happen. They will go in an entirely new direction and avoid anything to do with Berman Trek. That is how the business is I'm afraid.

Rob

6. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they'll wait until they see how the movie does before they even discuss doing another Star Trek show.

7. csullivan

csullivan Cadet Newbie

Actually, because of the Viacom corporate split, CBS Paramount Television now specifically holds onto the rights to all the recent TV Trek properties (DS9, VOY, ENT) wheras Paramount Pictures retains all the film properties. Not sure about the TNG characters since those ones transitioned into the film licensing. But Berman definitely doesn't have ownership of the characters from those shows. CBS Par TV owns those characters. Sure Berman would get paid for future distribution of the episodes he produced. But if they chose to continue any new stories with those characters, they'd be totally free to do so.

I'm not saying I think that's the way they'll go. Personally I think they'll work something out with Paramount Pictures so that they can do some kind of TV offshoot of what's being done for the new film.

But there's no doubt they'll come up with something. And if they can't work something out with Paramount to incorporate aspects of the new Abrams vision - then there's a chance they'll dig into their Berman Era properties and give that whole world of Trek a facelift just as Abrams is giving TOS a facelift.

CBS owns all the TV licensing of recent and future Trek. So if they want to cash in on it - and of course they do - they'll need to come up with something. And once the movie hits next spring, I'd bet cash that they'll already have something quietly in development at that point.

8. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

There are always possibilities.:vulcan:

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think if there is another Trek series, it might not be what people are expecting. It could be as a traditionally animated series aimed at the pre-teen demographic or a slightly edgier anime series (either way, Trekkers born before 1990, you may punch your retirement cards...now).

As far as live-action goes, because of the split between Trek's TV and film divisions, I think it's likely that such a series would probably avoid the timeframe of the new movies myself. It possibly could be a smaller production that we've seen in the past (fewer main characters, slightly smaller sets), but that's just kinda what I'd like to see though...

10. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

I think we should write a few letters out to important people about getting a new Trek series and we should write out a petition we can all sign and send it with each letter.

Who would we have to write a letter to in order to get a new Trek series, whos in charge of everything required to produce a new one?

We should also put a collection of ideas together to send with the letter such as characters, storyline, ship designs, new species and timeframe.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  11. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ya, thats the idea. They would wait to see how the movie goes first. If the movie went successful based on ratings...then yes, we would get a trek series for sure which could be awhile longer to wait as it takes a year to film a trek series and to have casting done, and so on.

Since the movie comes out in May 2009 (was suppose to be Dec 2008)..I bet the trek series will come around winter or fall 2010 or maybe not until winter 2011 lol

12. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If we want a realistic answer to this question, we have to think like bankers. There may be talk, but no real deveopment will occur until the new movie proves that there's still an audience for first-run material. If the move does well, I imagine that a TOS-era series might be considered (existing sets will amortize costs).

If it tanks, it will all go to sleep again, at least for a time.

13. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

The safest bet is another animated series, imo. Lucas (who regardless of creative issues is an excellent businessman) tested the waters of TV in this way.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think there will be a new within 2-3 years.

My only reason is The CW is screwed and needs something to be made that gets viewers. The Star Trek name can be that something.

15. cardinal biggles

The CW is a shitty network, and network TV is dying in general. Besides, nowadays it seems like all the good original dramas are on cable (particularly FX, USA, and HBO).

16. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Agreed. And if that were to do well, then perhaps a live action series would be considered.

I also agree that the success (or lack, thereof) of the movie will determine whether Star Trek returns to TV.

17. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not expecting a new show anytime soon. Spike's already got the KOTOR Starwars series, and I don't know that a new trek cna go toe to toe Star Wars. At least in my mind it's a risk -- if wars really really takes off, then I think Neo-Trek would get neglected. There's only so much room for Space Opera on TV. I don't think you could have two big shows go head to head and have both of them stay on for more than a season. If I was a stockholder, I'd tell 'em straight you don't want to go head to head with Wars with the first New Treck in 5 years.

Of Course I think the PAr people have probably figured that out. If they want to, they could either do webisodes, direct to DVD, or possibly Trek XII. That's probably the best route, though I'd love to see a Trekian version of KOTOR on my ps3. TV right now seems like the worst route.

18. Superman

Superman Fleet Captain

^^^"Knights of the Old Republic" TV series?

There is no such series in production. There's the animated Clone Wars and the live action series set between Episodes III and IV.

\S/

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Frankly, I think the current discussion should be about the new upcoming series and not a movie.

Trek has always been vastly superior on TV than in film. Film Trek is mediocre at best, awful at worst. The Trek films have been one bland so-called action adventure after another. Yet, they really aren't. Lost is the exploration to which Star Trek excels at. And really, given Abrams's resume, I'm expecting more of the same. The Star Trek credo is to explore space and seek out lifeforms and civilizations. When is the last time a Star Trek movie did that?

I've said this a gazillion times and no one seems to pay attention to me. It's just that, for whatever reason, sci-fi action has become the new "thing." So, someone guy in an expensive suit somewhere thought Star Trek was this old sci-fi action adventure show ripe for reintroduction to the world. Except, it isn't. And, if the movie franchise ever does open the door for a new tv series, it will most likely be "Star Trek" in name only.

20. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A think a new trek series would be difficult to sell with the cacophony of science fiction out there right now. Most people consider Star Trek a novelty item, it's old news to most people so I agree that it will depend largely on the success of the movie-- as much as that scares me.

I think that even if there is a new trek series, it won't be what we want. We all want a Titan series, we all want another Ds9. I'm not sure either of those are likely, as awesome as they would be for fans like us. Certainly the last thing I want is something TOS-era or another prequel.

I'm partial to a series that focuses in the years past TNG, with some kind of Federation civil war and exploration of the Gamma quadrant--- but that's me :).