Is the bridge at a funny angle?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mike Doyle, Dec 17, 2020.

1. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice. What ep? S3 judging by tunic and both regulars at nv/helm. Love the Checkov slump btw. ☺ Really like seeing the other stations populated.

2. Dr. Kravaal

Dr. Kravaal Vice Admiral Admiral

It deserves life in CGI though.

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

Truth No Beauty.

4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Qonundrum, Spocko and Phaser Two like this.
  5. Cancel Culture

Cancel Culture Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. hofner

hofner Commodore Commodore

I can't resist saying this anymore.

Every time I see, or rather hear the thread title "Is the bridge at a funny angle?", I think of the old Monty Python skit where someone wrote a joke that is so funny, people die laughing when they read it.

I just imagine some Star Trek fanboy in the '70s looking at FJ's drawing of the bridge and laughing until he keels over dead.

To be fair, one of those '70s fanboys poring over FJ's tech manual and blueprints that I'm making fun of was me.

Robert

Dr. Kravaal and plynch like this.
  7. Large Gathering of Unmasked People

Large Gathering of Unmasked People Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

8. J.T.B.

For me, it's this:
    raising_az_store_clerk.png

9. hofner

Sorry, is that an image you posted?

If so, I can't see it, I'm blind. I use a screen reader to read text out loud on my PC and it can't describe pictures or images. Could you describe it to me if it isn't too much trouble?

Robert

Phaser Two and J.T.B. like this.
  10. J.T.B.

Oh of course! It reminds me of a line from the movie Raising Arizona. One character asks the store clerk if he has any balloon that blow up into funny shapes. The clerk, who's an older kind of rural gentleman, says "Well, no. Unless round is funny." I posted an image of that character with the caption "Well no. Unless 36 degrees is funny."

Phaser Two and hofner like this.
  11. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For a "high tech" design to still look ultra-cool after more than 50 years is amazing. When photographed properly, a wide angle where you can see the layout, it is probably the most gorgeous set in the history of television.

lawman, Search4, Phaser Two and 4 others like this.
  12. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still want to go live there. This show meant so much to me when I was a boy. I give thanks for all the people who made it.

Phaser Two likes this.
  13. Shawnster

Shawnster Commodore Commodore

Reminds me of Star Trek 09 Bridge minus the vertical "supports. " Definitely not feasible in the 1960s

14. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FWIW, the board's settings seem to require a viewer be logged in to see board-hosted images at full size. When I am not logged in I see thumbnails only (a bit smaller than the avatar images) and clicking to enlarge leads to the login screen.

15. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the best episodes to give a good look at the bridge trough different angles than usual is Spock’s brains. One of the few remedying qualifies it has.

16. Dr. Kravaal

Dr. Kravaal Vice Admiral Admiral

Bucky builds and a few dome homes existed that far back, I think. The Atomium would be nice to see

17. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The shapes were feasible from a woodworking POV (boat hulls can be more complex.) But that bridge would have been too costly and too time-consuming to build.

XCV666 likes this.
  18. hofner

Thank you.

Lol, i vaguely remember that scene, found it on youtube and listened to it. Now I won't be able to hear the phrase "36 degrees" without laughing thank you very much.

Robert

J.T.B., Dr. Kravaal and Phaser Two like this.
  19. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ya know, after looking at that Guzman bridge concept that Mytran posted (thanks BTW) I noticed something I never noticed before, which might be relevant to the topic.
    It's almost as if Guzman intended for the POV to be from the lift entrance -explaining why there isn't one visible in the picture? And as such, the layout of his bridge is almost exactly like the final version, when seen from the same POV.
    Notice the view-screen is to the left and the command module is slightly to right of center, notwithstanding that it's obviously enlarged -as if in the foreground- for clarity.

20. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

I think one oughtn't read too much into a sketch like that. Those are just starting points for figuring out the look of the set. That command module as drawn would be against the portside aft of the room as drawn. He's just exploring the idea of this round room with a window/viewer and a control pod.