Is it time for a movie about Gene Roddenberry?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson1, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually I would prefer a mini-series because there is so many different era's of his life tthat would be intresting. You got his time in the Air Force and then his wild days when he created "TOS" and then the years after were he didn't have much success and also started to believe the hype fans told him about the "Star trek vision" and then the creation of "TNG" and all the conflict that happened there.

I even know who should play him or at least the older version of him and that is Kevin Spacey.

Jason

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

They would completely focus on his womanizing. And I for one am not interested in seeing that.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last year James Darling was working on The Pilot, an independent movie about Roddenberry during the early days of Star Trek. I'm not sure what happened to that project. The teaser trailer seems to have disappeared from the usual online places.

Kor

4. VulcanMindBlown

VulcanMindBlown Commander Red Shirt

There was one done by his son, Eugene Roddenberry.

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was a documentary, Trek Nation. The OP is looking for a fictional narrative depiction.

I almost forgot, there's that short film Roddenberry on Patrol. It's more of a parody, though.

Kor

6. rcjames

rcjames Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was hoping for the 50th anniversary of Trek they'd do something like Doctor Who's An Adventure Through Space and Time. Naturally the character of Roddenberry would've been a lead role.

7. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

They did a small piece on Roddenberry for the PBS show Pioneers of Television, but it was more about producing "The Cage" than Roddenberry himself.

8. FredH

FredH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually wouldn't mind a movie about the protecting-the-crashed-airliner-survivors-in-the-Syrian-desert incident (Pan Am Flight 121).

9. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, if you're going to focus on the creation of Star Trek, you'd need actors who could play Shatner, Nimoy, etc. Where could they find people like that?

10. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Commander Red Shirt

A Roddenberry biopic would be interesting, but truth be told my unrealistic ideal film would be a comedy-drama about TOS's production featuring all the big players in the three year run: Roddenberry, Coon, Fontana, Solow, Lucas, Freiberger, etc. Perhaps with Gene as the decoy protagonist at first before the movie shifts to Robert Justman as the central viewpoint character watching the series rise, and departing when witnessing its fall circa season 3.

11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Gene Roddenberry in Love? Might be interesting if treated with a balanced hand and historical accuracy, but if it's just slathering over the man's amazing legacy then I'll pass.

CorporalCaptain and Amaris like this.
  12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That might be interesting.

13. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gene Roddenberry: Love Instructor.

Nyotarules and Shaka Zulu like this.
  14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm really not interested in anything about him.

I'll pass thanks.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  15. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like Back to the Batcave. :techman:

16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I honestly don't think it would be possible to do that at this point if the piece is meant to be taken seriously

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

This might be one for Orville.

They go back in time--find out that other universes are created by dreams, writings, art. You see folks arrested for killing their characters, and the whole thing turns into camp for a bit.

But then they find an earnest young police officer --a lieutenant even.
    he's surrounded by bad cops, and wants to be a writer. He lives in dismal times--but it is his optimism that keeps him--and even the multi-verse-- alive.

Captain Seth asks him what his name is.

"It's Gene" he says, walking away.

18. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

There were some biographies written about Gene in the 1990s that you may want to check out. "Star Trek Creator" is one that comes to mind.

20. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't heard about that one but I did read the one bye some guys named David Gerrod and Herb Sollow I think. I liked it but it did feel like they were kind of selling the idea that they had more to do with "TOS" being created than Roddenberry so it's kind of intresting in wondering what the real truth is. Still I think the truth might not matter, because either way their is enough material I would think to create a fun movie or mini-series.

Jason