Is it officially canon Nero came from the "prime universe" or no?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tribble puncher, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I wondered this watching 2009's Star Trek. (Going to see "Beyond" on Sunday, so am watching "Trek and "Into Darkness")

I have not read the comic prequel to "Star Trek 09", I only know from online stuff that Nero's ship was somehow Borgified according to the comic, and that it was in the Romulus system when the Star went nova (along with Spocks "jellyfish" ship.) or something. of course, anyone feel free to correct me. I guess the Narada fell through the black hole that sucked up the Star explosion into the "Kelvin" timeline. (I wonder why all the Star Explody stuff didn't Vaporize the Kelvin or anything.) But did Nero "Officially" come from the Berman/Braga timeline? I always felt like he would have come from another Universe we've never seen and fell into the Kelvin one......I just wondered if that was the official explination.

VulcanMindBlown likes this.
  2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nero and the Narada came from the Prime Timeline, as evidenced primarily by Spock Prime. The dating was after Nemesis, and the term "Ambassador" Spock is a TNG term, but also that Nero had a huge grudge against Spock Prime, indicating that they came from the same universe. But for all intents and purposes, it was also said by Abrams and the writers, so if nothing else works, Word of God says that he originated from the post-Nemesis world of Trek.

Leto_II and VulcanMindBlown like this.
  3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus there is a short scene at the end of Beyond that very effectively confirms it.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, confirmed without a shadow of a doubt in Beyond.

Kemaiku likes this.
  5. VulcanMindBlown

VulcanMindBlown Commander Red Shirt

Wasn't the U.S.S. Enterprise-E commanded by Data from the Prime Universe???

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the non-canon comics and Star Trek Online.

7. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Yes. Nero came from the Prime Universe.

8. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    He came from the same place as Spock Prime, who is called...well, Spock Prime. ;)

9. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC, in the films he is called Ambassador Spock.

And there is no question in my mind he and NERO came from the Primeline.

10. Cyke101

Yeah, I was trying to stick primarily to the perspective of Star Trek '09. Into Darkness made it more blatant, but then Beyond just hammered it home.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The credits in Trek XI and STID list Nimoy as playing "Spock Prime."

12. Cyke101

On a side note, I went with a friend to watch Beyond. She teared up as soon as Zachary Quinto himself teared up about losing Spock Prime/Nimoy.

13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No kidding? I never noticed it or not. In film speaking over rules credits. :p

14. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    As already mentioned, Spock Prime was an ambassador when last seen before ST'09, in TNG. What's your point, exactly?

15. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Yes, the intent of the filmmakers, as shown in three films, is that the Narada and the Jellyfish came from the Prime Timeline.

And you got the Countdown/Star Trek Online backstory slightly off. The 2009 movie showed an unnamed star going supernova, with Romulus in its own solar system being consumed by the supernova. Which makes no sense given distances in space. The Countdown comic miniseries named the star Hobus. And Star Trek Online gave the further explanation (non-canon, of course) that the Hobus Supernova devastated Romulan space because Iconian-affiliated Romulan criminals artificially engineered the supernova to go at faster than light velocity.

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I never noticed that. That explains why Memory-Alpha just calls it a star near Romulus.

From the 5 second research I did, the star isn't even named in the script. Though the script does say it was in the Beta Quadrant (along with Romulus).

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Trek.html

Enterprise1701 likes this.