Poll Is continuity important?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by F. King Daniel, May 3, 2022.

?

How important is continuity in Trek?

1. Important. Details have to allign!

48.7%
  2. Don't mind if it all lines up or not

45.1%
  3. It's not important, go nuts

6.2%
  1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the wake of Robert April's recasting and SNW's pseudo-reboot of TOS, as well as debate over Jean-Luc's parents this season of Picard, I'm curious how important continuity is to the Trek experience for everyone.

Personally I do see the appeal of a massive interconnected continuity, but moreso I see the freedoms given to the DC universe where Bruce Wayne can be hero in the movies, a lovable goof in the classic shows but a child soldier-rearing monster in Titans. They wouldn't blink twice at a bigger U.S.S. Enterprise, a secret sister for Spock or black Captain April.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  2. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must admit, I would rather have that 'massive interconnected continuity', up to the tiniest details. I do think that Trek does have a lot of that though, there are continuity easter eggs that even I don't recognize at first..! But with 55+ years of ongoing stories, I think it cannot be avoided that certain things will be reimagined along the way...

NCC-73515 and Ray Hardgrit like this.
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If they want to have a interconnected universe then yes, details matter. That doesn't mean that things can't be changed intentionally or accidentally, but they do matter to some degree.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  4. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I'm not bothered. I'm a (slash) fic writer, establishing connections where canon contradicts itself, leaves gaps or even refuses to go to is my "job". I like a challenge. To me, inconsistencies are puzzles to be solved with my own personal headcanon.

fireproof78 likes this.
  5. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't care too much, it's entertainment.

Although there are limits to that. For example, I wouldn't like a re-imagining that totally betrays the spirit of the original. For example, a 're-imagining' of TNG that shows that they're all cynical hypocrites that spout the Federation ideals but really are only out there to accumulate advantages for themselves in whatever way when they can get away with it.

nightwind1 and Turtletrekker like this.
  6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I understand that 100% continuity with a show that’s been on the air for 50+ years isn’t always going to happen. I get that, and am ok with some wiggle room in this regard. What annoys me is when continuity is purposely and knowingly changed to suit some new producer or writer’s take on things. When it comes to Star Trek specifically, it feels like they are changing things for their own reasons and using the ST IP as a way to booster their own stuff rather than just have it stand on its own merits. Case in point: Did Michael Burnham really need to be Spock’s adopted sister or Sarek’s adopted daughter? Did that really have any impact on the character as shown in DSC? Not really, in my opinion. In retrospect, it feels like the creators of that show didn’t have enough faith in their product to be able to stand on its own; they had to link it to TOS in order for it to succeed. But then they go and change every aspect of TOS to suit the new show, and the viewer is just supposed to accept it.

Is this a rant about newTrek? It’s not supposed to be. I’ve watched DSC, PIC, LDS, PRO, and am awaiting SNW. It’s not like I’ve stopped watching any of it and just bitch about the show here because I have nothing better to do with my time. But as far as continuity goes: No, it’s not perfect. Not by a long shot. But there are aspects of all the shows that I enjoy regardless of that. And there are just as many aspects that I find annoying and silly. I just wish the producers of DSC back in 2017 had the balls to declare their show a reboot rather than link it to TOS by the barest of threads.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Ray Hardgrit and BillJ like this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Broad strokes are important, the details aren’t.

Changes to continuity don’t bother me, the bland storytelling does.

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Is there an option for Sweet Baby Jesus, Not This Topic Again?

:shrug:

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Just add it to 'Klingons changing' or 'size of the Defiant.'

ThetaSigma and nightwind1 like this.
  10. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    I’m not losing sleep over this. Not because I agree with the recasting per se as TAS is and always has been canon and a part of the prime timeline in my eyes. But because it fulfilled the wishes of the Trek Bros who have long had a problem with Discovery being canon, even after its moved to the 32nd century. Now, DIS, ST & SNW can be seen as part of a Discoverse - the visual reboot of Trek, and separate from the prime timeline - and we can all move on from perceived controversies in these shows. The Trek Bros should actually be applauding this recasting, which only exists because many of them shared the same view as those that did the recasting of April of TAS being non-canon. Meanwhile the producers can do whatever they want going forwards and do Kirk/Spock slash or whatever canon breaking stories they want to do.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Anyone who complains about the casting of a black Captain April should have the stones to admit that it's not continuity they're complaining about.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

My first Trek was Where No Man Has Gone Before. My second was Balance of Terror.

Who explained those discontinuities to me? No one.

It's fine to have broad strokes but minor details are not important.

nightwind1 and Orac like this.
  13. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No single fictional universe is internally consistent, not even Tolkien's mythos. Every single one breaks its own continuity in various ways, so why should Star Trek be any different?

I still chose the middle option because I think continuity and canon have importance, they just shouldn't be viewed as an unbreakable gospel, and especially not if it stands in the way of a good story.
    Like, with stuff like the Robert April casting I don't even understand where the issue is, it's not like it invalidates any continuity, just the appearance of a badly drawn character who appeared in one episode of the cartoon spinoff, I think that's no issue at all.

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

There are always going to be elements that don't really line up or age well (such as not being used to women on the bridge, or women not being able to command starships), but on the whole I like things to stay aligned with what's come before (otherwise most of the knowledge in my brain is completely useless, lol).

But if someone wants to reboot Trek then by all means go nuts with creating something new out of the old elements, it worked for BSG.

Qonundrum likes this.
  15. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Depends on the story being told.

Qonundrum likes this.
  16. BillJ

I don’t care one way or the other, but it is a continuity violation.

17. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Continuity breaches throw the audience out of the story. That is an undeniable characteristic of fiction. The greater the continuity breach, the further one is thrown out of the story. That said, one could envision far more serious continuity breaches than the color of Robert April's skin, and I'm far more concerned with other established characteristics of April. And of course, eliminating April entirely would be the worst continuity breach of all.
    A Black Robert April is a bit of a surprise, but for me, accent and mannerisms are far more important.
    Being rather enamored of Diane Carey's vision of the April era, I would object to any April who wasn't partial to sweaters, or who didn't have a noticeable British accent (Coventry, was it? My memory isn't that good), or a command style that was at once both avuncular and professorial. And likewise, I'd readily accept any April who did match the accent and personality Diane Carey described. Regardless of his ancestry (and as San Francisco's Museum of the African Diaspora points out, we all have African ancestry, even lily-white honkies like me) or the color of his skin.

ATimson and Ray Hardgrit like this.
  18. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I agree, but i would prefer a Indian captain April. Or a captain not from Earth

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does?

nightwind1 likes this.
  20. BillJ

Unless the writing is really tight and interesting, then yeah it can throw one out of the story.

I feel bad for folks who still think this is still one universe, CBS isn’t doing them any favors.

Qonundrum likes this.