Is anyone else scared?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by misskim86, Nov 24, 2007.

1. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is anyone else scared that the future of Trek is in danger? I get the feeling because I feel that Star Trek is only losing fans and not gaining any. I've read books about how the 70s was and the re-runs of TOS made a lot of new people become Trek Fans, but it feels like the re-runs today of Trek hardly makes any real dent into new people.

And the new shows and movies feel like they are just desperate attempts at working on already popular characters instead of creating something new like they did with TNG. :(

2. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

I think they need to bring out a new Trek Movie with completely fresh characters, a couple of fresh species and a fresh enemy.
    The latest Trek Movies focused on Trek fans because anyone who's never watched Trek before probably didn't understand half of what the films were about, thats why something fresh needs to be done so everyone can enjoy it and it might just be the ticket for getting some new trek fans, once there's fresh fans a fresh new series can be produced, this will entice new fans to watched the other series of Trek aswell.

3. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Star Trek is too deep to just introduce and make us care about an entirely new cast in 1 hour and 44 minutes. Imo a tv-show is really nessecery to make the audience actually care about the characters first.

4. RainCrystal

RainCrystal Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Who says people are becoming bored with Star Trek?

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not at all scared. Abrams' movie is the best shot that Trek has had in a long, long time - maybe fifteen years. :)

6. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek has been crap ever since DS9 ended.

VOY, ENT, INS and NEM were just diabolical.

Hopefully Star Trek XI will be an improvement.

7. exalted one

exalted one Commander Red Shirt

Not. Scared.

It can't be any worse than this, actually. Star Trek is not going anywhere, on the contrary, it is now more available worldwide than ever.

Every minute of every show and every movie is available for us to own on DVD - and they aren't going anywhere, even if Paramount stops selling them, because they were already digitized and liberated onto the Internet.

Thousands over thousands pages of Trek literature is available for everybody to own. And to add even more goodness, Paramount finally stopped messing up with the novels (keyword: PROBE) and as a result, Pocket has more or less free hands to really work with Star Trek as a world. A result? Titan, relaunch series, Vanguard, New Frontier - just name it.

Not even considering the new movie, we already have enough visual and textual materials for years of good entertainment. Enough for any new fan to watch and read while getting old. So no, I'm not scared at all.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, I'm not worried. All it will take is one successful movie and then you'll see hordes of "new" fans - the used-to-be's and the never-was'es.

Don't expect them to hang around during dry spells, tho.

The current plan for revitalizing Trek (see the Trek XI forum for details) is the most sensible/likely to work of all the options I can think of...

9. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I'm more worried about the fact that fandom has become so dogmatic and fussy about what it will accept as Trek that any attempt to do any storytelling within that narrow slice of parameters is practically destined to fail.

The bloodlust for killing ENT and having B&B's heads on spikes was certainly a shameful moment for people who call themselves Star Trek fans.

And those same people seem to now want the same for Abrams and Trek XI.

10. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

Not scared. Just waiting on pins and needles. It's like that feeling as a kid you got waiting for Christmas morning, only it's going to last over a year! I think a teaser trailer can help a little with that, though. I think it's more excitement than fear, though.

11. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really. We've got a good chance of reviving the thing next year. But if it doesn't accomplish that then I'm ok with that. Trek's had a great run. Years from now there will be another attempt and maybe that will succeed.

12. IDIC

IDIC Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I thought that Insurrection and Nemesis both failed because they tried to be too mainstream.

It seems like everything has to be hip and new and young and sexy. The thing that should come first and foremost is a good solid story that has an uplifting message.

I do have some hope that the new movie will be better than past simply because Nimoy is involved. The more on screen time Nimoy has as Spock the better the movie will be in my opinion. :vulcan:

13. DumbDumb2007

DumbDumb2007 Commander

If the next movie bombs then it is all over studio wise.

14. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Its not in danger. Its in a state of flux or perhaps at-rest. There will always be people that want to dabble in fan fiction or aspire to be the next seven people to orbit the planet & bring the moon-base & ramjet shuttle (from ENT's credits,) off the drawing board. As long as we keep the drive to look to the stars for adventure alive...as long as we nurture the embers...the flame will never die.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think even that would kill Star Trek. Don't underestimate the staying power of a brand like that. Hollywood's willing to resurrect brands will far less cachet - BSG and Lost in Space and Charlie's Angles and Get Smart - Star Trek has taken a lot of abuse but I think it could actually take a lot more before it's a dead dead duck.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9, "Voyager" and "Enterprise" were all unsatisfactory from the POV of the people who own the thing. So it's been close to fifteen years since the phenomenon peaked and started sliding down hill.

17. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not at all. My interest died a while back. I wasn't even more than vaguely aware when Enterprise was finally cnacelled because I'd given up on it over two years prior.

So either this film rekindles the flame or it doesn't. Either way, I'll live. There's more to life than Star Trek. :)

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek will be fine.

There is a new movie coming out, which shows that the studio still has faith in the franchise even after a "die-out" only two years earlier.

Also, the ENT repeats are doing pretty well on sci-fi, the last time I heard. I have a feeling that people are either discovering or rediscovering ENT in a way that people did with TOS (though, I'll admit, it is probably not as "big" as TOS in syndication was in the 70s).

19. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Forever? Doubtful. It will just take longer to come back. But it will be back one day.

20. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Not especially, no. All my favourite series are dead and buried with no apparent hope of a reprieve (Doctor Who sort of excepted), so if Trek - which is on a tier below my absolute favourite shows - goes the same way it won't be the end of the world.

At least Trek has a new movie to look forward to. :bolian: