Iron Man 2's 'Black Widow': Emily Blunt?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by LutherSloan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have not seen either film that she has previously appeared in, but she certainly looks the part.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, she doesn't seem right to me. Her looks are too bland. I'd say Hillary Swank is closer to the type.

Eventually I guess every actor in Hollywood who is even somewhat famous will lay claim to a comic book character, huh? ;)

3. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I had no idea Iron Man was neither Science Fiction nor Fantasy.

;)

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno, I think she's alright. Then again I don't hold the character in very warm regard anyway, so they could completely rewrite her as far as I'm concerned and it wouldn't bother me. I assume she has fans?

5. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think she could work, but could she pull off ass kicking assassin/spy/fighter? She's cute, and a redhead...

Hillary Swank as Black Widow? BLAHGH...

6. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

You know who I would like to see running around in that costume is Isla Fisher.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Isla Fisher is like 4'10".

8. Nick Ryder

With heels 5'1!!!!

So what if she's short, dangerous things come in small sexy packages

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I don't disagree with that in general, but in this case she has to look sexy and intimidating.

10. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Emily Blunt to me looks like some pretty pop/rock girl you would see in an mtv video not some Russian spy. IMO BlackWidow should look and sound a bit more Slavic, visually many of the people in the region look like European whites but with different bone structure and slight Mongolian features...and I think that's the way she was drawn in those comics
    I don't know maybe Emily Blunt works and she can do good accents

11. Nick Ryder

Hmm yeah Blunt could kinda work, she did have a kinda accent in Devil Wears Prada right? I like her facial structure, it does remind me of Greg Horn's depiction of her

12. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She looks pretty good, but Black Widow is supposed to be ex-Soviet, I understand that she ages more slowly than a normal human, but she should still be played by someone a little older than that.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I could live with this piece of casting.

14. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, when I was visiting Avengers Mansion last week I thought I saw a guy in a metal suit guzzling whiskey in the salon-but I only got a glimpse before the butler closed the door.;)

15. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

I think I'm in love.

16. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Watch the hotlinks. If you don't own the site or the account, you shouldn't be posting images from it. Not a new rule; don't break it again.

ETA: And moving, because this is more of an SF&F topic!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, they'll probably tinker with her backstory to make it more contemporary. Just like they substituted Afghanistan for Viet Nam in Tony's origin.

I'm sure it's possible to come up with post-Cold War version of her origin. Just like they did with the Abomination in THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

18. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

That's just because she started out in the Soviet service in the 60s comics and then Claremont weirdly retconned her into still having been born in the 1940s in the late 1980s story he wrote, which has kept her personal timeline tied to World War II and turned her into an octogenarian. In the film, presumably, she'll just be a modern Russian agent.

19. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Hmm, I've never encountered the character in comics. You say The Black Widow is a large-breasted man? Interesting.

20. Nick Ryder

Hillary Swank just isn't right. And frankly they need someone that can do a good 'European' accent. Granted a thick Russian accent would be nice, but if you're sending a spy all over the world, she's going to eventually lose the 'mother' accent and kinda have a bastardized accent, so even an 'impression' accent would be more than passable.

Blunt may work, but can she kick ass? That's the big question. I mean, she has to look convincing shooting, kicking, punching, sneaking. Not just looking hot. I mean I'd almost... ALMOST go for an older actress like that Hendricks gal, Saffron from Firefly. Or some other 'unknown'. I keep thinking that she should be at least in her 30s. Close to Tony's age. Not exactly a Cougar, but not a girl either. Especially if there's a little competition between her and Pepper for Tony. Ideally, she should be as if not slightly more attractive than Pepper.

As long as they cast GOOD actors that actually have some character, then I'd be happy. But Swank, no. Gah no.