News Iron Fist season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. Evil Headhunter

Evil Headhunter Scarecrow Keeper Premium Member

Damn. I wondered if that would be the case, but it's sad to know it's true. :(

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They have a new showrunner this season and that can bring about a pretty massive shift in a series. From everything I've read it sounds like that will be the case with IF.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem is the last good Netflix shows were DD Season 2 and Luke Cage Season 1 (haven't watched LC Season 2 yet, because Defenders burned me out on those shows so much), and its not like Marvel TV in general is doing well right now. If they had fired Finn Jones and whoever plays the character they call Colleen Wing, and completely ignored Season 1 and The Defenders, it might have a chance. But they aren't doing that, so there is no real change. Same shit, different name in the producer/director/whatever credits. Hopefully when this season is over they can just cancel it and put the resources into a potentially good show (maybe try out Blade or use the AoS version of Ghost Rider for a show).

Actually, scratch that. This is Marvel TV. The TV division has destroyed The Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, Iron Fist, Agents of SHIELD and Inhumans all within the last 2 years. They'd just destroy a new show, so they might as well stick to making shows about characters they have already ruined, and stop destroying new characters before the movies can get to them.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The masks are a little cheesy, but I think it makes sense in context.

7. Evil Headhunter

Eh, I don't care either way but mostly because I have no affinity for the original comic character.

8. Turtletrekker

Gavin70 likes this.
  9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

If the Marvel Netflix shows (in general) would start only doing the number of episodes they needed and not arbitrarily doing 13, that would certainly help them. For example, Luke Cage Season 1 (which I liked) was easily a few episodes too long. Also, I probably would have finished The Punisher if it hadn't started to feel so long and padded.

10. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

With a bit of luck it's the latter. But let's not discount the possibility of option C: there's even less story and 10 episodes is as much as they could pad it without making at least two of them clip-shows.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Gaith likes this.
  11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't mind if the Netflix shows vary the length of their seasons. I agree that Punisher ran a little too long, and DD season 2 could have easily been two shortened seasons for example.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I read an item today about Netflix season lengths:

https://www.cbr.com/why-many-netflix-shows-have-13-episode-seasons/

Apparently the reason earlier Netflix shows tended to have 13-episode seasons was because their contracts were based on the cable model, where 13 was the standard length. They had to be that long because the contracts specified it. More recent Netflix shows within the past couple of years increasingly tend to have seasons of 8-10 episodes, which apparently works better for them.

13. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Maybe also it's the 3rd new Netflix Marvel season this year, they've never made this many that quickly before.

14. Turtletrekker

15. William Skywalker

William Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That already looks a million times better than Season One did.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it looks about the same? Slow and rather rudimentary looking set-pieces which went spread across 10 episodes...

17. Evil Headhunter

The trailer looks good. I'm cautiously optimistic.

18. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

A little promising at least...except for "I didn't ask for the Iron Fist!".
    I mean I really hope that's being taken out of context, because up until now, 72% of Danny's dialogue has been about how he fought for the honour of becoming the Iron Fist.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, yeah... He didn't ask for it so much as demand it. ;)

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked that a lot lot better as a tease than I did S1 for sure. I've not been actively following this for some time so reading through the thread revealed some things I'm ok with. No Claire isn't a problem for me. She probably has other commitment or no story reason was created to need her. I hope that it being 10 episodes is Netflix/showrunners realizing the padded episodes helped add to folks being down on S1. As long as it is 10 strong episodes and not 6 good ones, 2 filler shows and 2 episodes that should've been one instead type situation.

They showed the IF mask, interesting. Now, will that emerge as an in story reason for Rand to protect his identity going forward? Similar to how Matt only got a more DD accurate outfit at the close of S1? I'm still hoping for him to get the 'DD' emblazoned on it this upcoming season.

Turtletrekker likes this.