Insatiable (Netflix series)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Janeway’s Girl, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After years of feeling like an outsider, an overweight teen becomes thin, and her life becomes crazy!

I finished it yesterday. It’s funny, dark, and trashy!

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

This review pretty much killed any chance of me watching that show:

Netflix’s Insatiable is somehow both obscenely cruel and terminally dull

When Insatiable’s trailer dropped, people expected the show to be bad. The reality is worse.

By Constance Grady@constancegrady Updated Aug 10, 2018, 9:09am EDT

Insatiable, the controversial new show from Netflix that debuts on Friday, is simultaneously one of the cruelest and most poorly crafted shows I have ever seen.

It spends all of its time striving desperately to reach the status of third-tier Ryan Murphy and falling flat. It has Murphy’s gleeful sadism in spades, but none of his manic camp energy; it has his treacly didacticism, but none of his genuine emotion.

When Insatiable’s trailer premiered in July to instant, furious backlash, a widespread response was that it was wrong to judge a show by its trailer. Watch it before you pass judgment, people advised. I have now watched every episode of Insatiable, and I can tell you whatever you might be imagining from the trailer is nothing. The reality is much, much worse.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/8/9/17661992/insatiable-review-netflix-season-one

3. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn’t read any reviews before watching. I like to decide for myself before passing judgement on anything.

I found it hilarious. It’s not meant be taken seriously, which the critics obviously are.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Insatiable is about idiots who are mean and petty.

Half the characters are 17, and there's probably lead in the town's watertable.

Christopher Gorham was unremittingly shirtless.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Saw the trailer and it seemed funny, started to watch the pilot episode and never once laughed or even smiled in 20 minutes so i buried it. This one will pass me.

6. psCargile

psCargile Captain Captain

I've only watched three episodes so far and at first I was wondering if they were mocking the South, but as a native Georgian, I find it funny.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

"You're obssessed with Patty."
    "What? No, I'm not. We're friends! ...Like in Heavenly Creatures!"

Hadn't heard of it before now, but watched the first two eps and found it fairly amusing. Will watch more. That Vox article has a list of reasons why the show is bad, "look at the things it makes fun of!" ...And all I can think is that that's the point...it's making fun of these things, not saying they are good. The characters are all shitty in some way, or stupid, or make stupid mistakes. Patty is messed up, "being skinny" doesn't magically make her happy. Or sane. And she makes bad decisions because of movies, which I can relate to even if I'm not proud of it. ;)

Anna Yolei and Janeway’s Girl like this.
  8. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

IKR? I like that there's one show out there willing to depict that a person's life doesn't magically become better when they lose weight, even in the campy way they do it here.

I like that the....protagonist, for lack of a better term, is a loveable asshole, a trope men get to play often but when women do it, she's a horrid bitch. She fucks up the lives of other fuckers and I'm here for it.

I'm on episode 7 or 8 right now and I feel genuinely made for Magnolia, though. No spoilers, but her father is a right out louse.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  9. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

This is one show that is weathering the fire from the "outrage bloggers" that are trying to shame it. For once, their coercive tactics haven't worked. A lot of people seem to be enjoying the show. The articles are multiplying, the screams of "You shouldn't watch this because it's terrible and perpetuates harmful fat-shaming! Cancel this, Netflix!" are getting louder, and people (mostly) aren't caring. It's glorious. :lol:

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good.

11. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished the rest of the season which was.....yeah. "Third rate Ryan Murphy" might be being too kind.

However, these claims of fat shaming are just.... unfounded. That's an argument I'd expect going to Tumblr. That *was* what stupid teens were crying about when the trailer hit, bemoaning that "she'd have stretch marks!" Or "The skin would be super saggy!" Which is how I heard of the show to begin with.

Absurdist elements aside, it does a great job of showing how being skinny doesn't fix the problems or insecurities overweight people have, least of all someone who has been fat their entire lives. I've lost weight before and I've never once felt beautiful or strong for my efforts and no guys were flocking to me fifty pounds ago, so I'm more than happy to just keep doing me.

That said, if anyone wants pure representation (and Tumblr has really gotten me to hate that word, especially in the last week since Voltron's latest season dropped) of a weight loss journey, this isn't the show for them. It works for what it is