Improving Star Trek Uniforms with technology

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Matthew Raymond, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone have ideas on how to improve the standard Star Trek uniform? I don't want to take this to the point of basically making a uniform a full mech-suit with armor and shields. The uniforms should still look like uniforms, but they'd be enhanced to provide various new features.

Possible Examples:
    • Cloth made out of replicated spider silk to protect against bat'leths.
    • Integrated health monitoring circuitry that transmits your vitals on away missions.
    • Optical and thermal camouflage.
    • Mechanical counterpressure (for operating in low pressure environments).
    • Recycling of perspiration for arid environments.
    • Mag-boots.
    • Integrated airbags in case inertial dampeners go offline.
    • Muscle stimulators that give all your muscles a workout while you stand at your console.
    • Nudist crew members could wear a small holo-emitter that projects a uniform only when non-nudists are present.

2. Space Coast

Space Coast Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fabric armor is usually either stabby/cutty resistant, or bullet resistant, not both. Maybe a multi-layer combination, but then again Starfleet doesn't exactly go against forces that use projectile handheld weapons anymore, does it? Besides, put enough force behind it and even the best fabric armor will be cut, and Klingons are pretty strong.

I think the combadges already do that by TSG or later, though I don't exactly remember.

I'd be surprised if Sec31 and/or other special forces didn't have that. If they don't, blame the Romulans.

I think their pressure suits already do that.

See above for the perspiration recycling, mag-boots, and integrated airbags.

This sounds like a good idea, but it really isn't, because stimulating muscles without exercising would still eat up stamina. Which would be fine on safe missions. Which means you'd almost never see them in Star Trek.

A perfectly reasonable idea, but good luck getting that on television, except as maybe a single episode - there are a number of cop shows with episodes that involve nudists, so Star Trek would be able to manage at least one.

3. Matthew Raymond

@Space Coast, you took my examples way to seriously, especially the last two examples.
    There are two problems here:
    1. You have to don the pressure suit, which would be a problem during sudden depressurization.
    2. Your typical environmental suit in Star Trek is air-pressurized, whereas with a suit that uses mechanical counterpressure, you'd only need a pressurized helmet. Although EV suits are self-sealing, you're still going to loose vital oxygen when it's punctured.
    They're completely different use cases, though. You wouldn't use a suit that utilizes mechanical counterpressure for a prolonged EVA in complete vacuum.
    I'll grant you that if you need to recapture water, you're probably going to use a specialized suit anyway. However, the crew of a starship wear boots anyway, so why not put some electromagnets in the soles?

As for having a special suit to protect from being slammed into a bulkhead ("airbags"), either you're going to be wearing it all the time just-in-case, which makes it basically a de facto uniform, or you're dead because you didn't have time to put it on before the inertial dampeners failed.

But anyway, the examples were just suppose to start a conversation. They weren't meant to all be serious suggestions.

More "Examples" for the sake of conversation:
    • Racing stripes.
    • Resistance to solvents that would otherwise take seconds to completely dissolve your uniform.
    • Tear-resistant tunics to keep a captain's shirt from being ripped off during an away mission.
    • Tear-away capes, so you can be fashionable without the safety risk.
    • Made from edible materials, in case you're stranded on a planet without any food.
    • Built-in heating and cooling. (Hey, wait. This one's actually a good idea...)

4. Space Coast

b-buh muh technological feasa- Oh right, Star Trek nevermind.

Anyway.

Some suggestions of my own:

Knives - I don't care that Starfleet isn't supposed to be a military force (kek) or that phasers can supposedly cut anything, phasers seem to break a lot more easily than a good knife ever would. And I imagine Borgs would find it a lot harder to adapt to getting shanked.
    Pockets - Starfleet uniforms do not appear to have pockets of any sort, which is just blasphemous.
    Hats - Hats.
    Anti-grav boots - Anti-grav boots.
    Hidden exoskeleton - You don't need to be a Vulcan to lift a shuttle anymore!

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Worf proved that bladed weapons are a viable defense against Borg drones. If you create a nanotech blade that can change frequency, it may be useful more often.

Also, if there are noting going to be pockets, can there at least be some sort of MOLLE/PALES type system running down the pant leg to hook equipment on to.

Also, the holographic uniform system has been proposed in Star Trek and other scifi fiction before, so it's not as unreasonable as it sounds on the face of it.

6. Space Coast

MOLLE would be good too, but it doesn't really work with Starfleet's aesthetic. Tactically it's great, from a design perspective... ehhh...

And the problem isn't that it's unreasonable, the problem is that certain people (read: parents) will most likely react negatively to nudists in their Star Trek as anything more than single-episode characters. As dark as ENT was, even it was no more family-unfriendly than the typical action/drama show on television at the time, so there were certainly a lot of families watching it.

But you know what holographic uniforms would be great for? Not having to be Odo to have a full-body disguise. STO played with this, and it's a great idea.

7. fireproof78

But the times they are a changin'. Some things that would be unacceptable, even a decade ago, are becoming more common place. So, the idea of nudism, or naturalists, is not as objectionable. In fact, even the kid friendly Zootopia introduced nudist animals.

Secondly, regarding MOLLE, it doesn't have to be the exact system. Just something that vein, even if it is strictly for away teams/landing parties. I actually think that a smaller system could be integrated in to the pants seam, even for the purpose of prop attachment. In TOS production, they used velco but it made a horrible ripping sound when pulling props off. So, I'm trying to imagine some sort practical solution.

8. Space Coast

Point taken.

Well, maybe they've invented something that works like velcro but doesn't make a horribly loud sound. Magnets, anyone?

9. Matthew Raymond

With regards to MOLLE/PALS, I think they just use a personal pattern buffer in the Voyager era, but makes sense for earlier periods. However, that seems like something that would be specific to crew on away missions, or perhaps to engineers who have to carry a lot of tools. Doesn't seem that useful for your typical bridge officer. Could be part of a secondary garment you wear over your uniform, like a jacket or something.

10. fireproof78

My initial thought was similar to the equipment sling worn in "The Cage" that was under their field jacket. Instead of having it under the jacket, the MOLLE could be incorporated in places on the jacket, allowing for ready access to equipment.

Engineers might have some incorporated in to engineering jumpsuits, as well as Security personnel who were specific outfits as well.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Hmmm...since this seems to be oriented toward in-universe tech possibilities, I think it would be more at home in Trek Tech. Energizing.

12. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watching the Clock, for instance.

My ideas:

* Self-healing fabric

* Weapons concealed as part of the uniform. Think a tear-away strip of cloth that seems to be ornamental, but folds into a knife, origami-style, or a braid that doubles as a garotte

* A PADD display screen integrated into the front. I know this sounds like Teletubbies, but it would be way cooler.

*Renders wearer transporter-resistant unless certain codes are entered to prevent abductions

*Outwardly focused taser-like properties that zap attackers, but thanks to a non-conductive undershirt, leave wearer unharmed

*Automated medication delivery system - for things like painkillers, stimulants, etc - allows officers with chronic conditions to get back to work if necessary; also aids those who come from different environments to get required gasses into bloodstream directly without wearing a mask.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  13. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Occurs to me that if Starfleet uniforms were resistant to energy weapons, but not bullets, that the Klingons would have started carrying firearms.

14. Space Coast

Since we don't quite know what tech level they were at prior to (or after, really) the Hur'q invasion, it may be that they skipped gunpowder weapons entirely in their technological development.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Some strange new technology to make Trek uniforms better: pockets :lol:

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Yorktown base uniforms from Star Trek Beyond had tech integrated into the sleeves. Sadly we never got a good look at what it was.

17. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shhh. I won't tell them if you don't. :shifty:

18. fireproof78

Lots of replies, sorry for the length but I really want to explore some of them :)
    I like this concept, especially if weapon's resistance could be built in.
    Klingons had this in one episode of TNG, where the belt buckle and other components would assemble in to a basic disruptor.
    I think the arm would be a more appropriate place.
    Could make rescue operations more difficult.
    That still sounds dangerous.
    Depending on the system, this might be a little bit big for the standard uniform. But, it could be useful for away teams. Also, the idea is explored more in the Halo universe and Fallout.
    Klingon disruptors seem to pack more punch so it might take a while for Starfleet to catch up on that end.

I definitely want to see more of those uniforms in action. Star Trek: Yorktown Elite Force

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Perhaps Starfleet could leave the personnel home and send just the uniforms?

Timo Saloniemi

20. Space Coast

Tony Stark tried that once, billions died and they had to use timehax to fix it.