I'm pretty sure season 3 will be...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by RAMA, Jun 3, 2020.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Delayed even more than we thought. I expected a June release almost this whole time (in fact I had some fairly good info on that), but I'm almost positive at this point that it will only come out as part of the grand introduction scheme of the summer revamp of CBSAA in order to anchor it. So July hopefully.

RAMA

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think it will be July. They need to market it and we've only had, what, 1 trailer? I'm thinking it might be September or October at this point, which might make some sense considering the entirety of the TV season is going to be delayed because of Covid.

Markonian likes this.
  3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

It depends on when this summer rollout comes out for the new ViacomCBS channel. Right now it is publicized as "summer". They have nothing else new in the pipeline with such attention (it's still in the top 20 most popular streaming shows, 15 months after season 2 ended!) to launch it with! Twilight Zone was a mere blip last year and disappointed everyone.

Right now, they seem to be recording the music for it, and with today's tech, I could see them having 5 episodes ready to go by July, even with only remote work happening. I already have an expectation the season will be split (like season 1), but a much longer break this time. It'll give them time to finish the second part of the season in post.

RAMAN

Markonian and Search4 like this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It won't be July. If it were, there'd be a premiere date announced. Indeed, based on the previous two seasons and Picard, the premiere date is announced three months in advance. Which means we still have a minimum of three months to wait, and that's if they announce the premiere date this month, which we have no guarantees of. We're not seeing this before September, and I'm not holding my breath for September.

dinnae ken likes this.
  5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

As with almost everything in 2020, the TV biz is in an unprecedented time right now. Schedules are off, people still aren't working, and channels need content. I wouldn't rule out July, I give it a 50-50 chance. I give a split season a 75-25 chance.

RAMA

6. The Wormhole

There's still a nagging step known as promotion. They'll want to get word out of the premiere's date, and that typically doesn't work out on short notice. Maybe there could be an August premiere, though it would surprise me if there were. July's definitely not happening.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

They're composing the music for the episodes right now. That's the last piece that's added in during the post-production process. They haven't updated how far along they are in two weeks.

If it's August, that'll be a nice birthday present for me.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

They haven't started promotion of the "summer" CBSAA revamp either and it's June, my guess is they would combine the publicity.

9. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it depends on which series will be ready first, Discovery or Lower Decks. One of them will be part of the CBS AA summer revamp, the other in September/October.

10. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or a sign that you're a CBS shill :shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty:

The Wormhole and Lord Garth like this.
  11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Promotion. Pah. Just surprise-release the first episode and go from there.

Eric1981 and Turtletrekker like this.
  12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    IIRC, The Twilight Zone season two debuts June 25th. I wouldn't expect Discovery for 8-10 weeks after that, at the earliest.

13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

full of promise, then change directions after a few episodes, then turn very cliché and disappointing at the end. (based on past experience)

14. The Wormhole

That's nice, but not relevant to what's being discussed in this thread at all.

Markonian likes this.
  15. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I heard they will release all the TZ episodes at once and not once a week. So they won't need to delay the next series much.

16. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    Why would they think TZ would hold Trek fans or attract viewers by itself? They need to get this show out as soon as possible but in a way that makes sense with progress on the next Trek Shows. The reason they are making all these shows is to get sustained memberships from Trek fans.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No they’re not?

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If they want to have Star Trek on all year round, they have to start by not delaying releases while non-Trek series are on. The Twilight Zone will be on at the same time as Star Trek rather than instead of Star Trek eventually. So I don't think TZ's schedule would impact DSC's.

I think it's a mistake to think everyone who watches Star Trek will watch The Twilight Zone, and vice-versa. I can only speak for myself, but I'm only a sporadic viewer of The Twilight Zone. Always have been. I've seen a lot of the better known classics but, to this day, there are still large swaths of old episodes I haven't seen.

19. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

As far as I know, they aren't making anything at the moment. If they give us DSC now (or soon), there will be an even bigger gap after DSC S3 is done until the next series. They may just be trying to balance things out.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know this is mainly for Discovery, but has there been any updates on Lower Decks? I was kind of hoping that would be a summer show, not to mention a lot of the prep work could be done at home because it is animated.