Spoilers If you're on the fence, go see and enjoy

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by JRoss, Dec 17, 2017.

1. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

There seem to be a few major things that haters keep harping on, and none of them really have much or any merit.

Luke died or did not go out in a blaze of glory: Big deal. Mark is like 68 and Carrie already died. They cannot bank on him living to complete the trilogy. And hey, he is Dee definitely going to be in the next one anyway.

Who cares that he don't go out in a blaze of glory? The whole theme of the film was "saving lives rather than destroying them." Thus fit in perfectly with that.

Luke's interstellar projection was too powerful, except that it wasn't. This movie showed us the truth of Vader'sstatement that a Death Star is no match for the force. We've already seen people use the force over interstellar distances with the force chokes. What is the big deal?

Rey's power level. I honestly think most of this is from boys who feel left out or threatened by strong girls. Snoke mentioned that Rey rises in power when Kylo does. These two are special. Besides that, Luke literally learned the force over what, a couple days in ESB? Men who complain about Rey but not Luke have a problem with women.

No lightsaber duel. Except that there was. Luke and Kylo counts. As does Rey, Kylo and the guards. And to my mind so does Finn and Phasma.

Snoke not getting a detailed background. Remember how the original trilogy explained Palpatine' s story? Me neither.

Leia's "flight". It isn't like she was really flying. She grabbed the ship and pulled herself in. And in space there is no gravity against which to fight.

The lack of white males in authority in the Resistance. Well, that is your problem. White men literally had six movies before this. Chill out.

Porgs. No big deal to be honest. A few seconds every half hour is not a problem.

Kor and Jedi_Master like this.
  2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Totally worthy of its own thread.

Smellmet likes this.
  3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure, but from the moment we are introduced to Palpatine, small things give him history. Naboo is a known quantity in the Galactic Republic, and he is a senator representing them. That already establishes that he has had years of weaseling himself into the political scene.

Where the hell did Snoke come from? Who was he before this? He can't have been some little punk that, a year after the battle of Endor just decided 'you know what? Imma army myself up and use my powers to make a better Empire'. It would have been nice to have SOME background atleast. Now, the biggest threat of this galaxy remains completely anonymous really.

I LOVED The Last Jedi. But I did felt a bit slighted about this.

4. JRoss

@Mage, not in the OT, we don't. We knew nothing about the man personally, other than his title, authority and force powers, from the beginning of the saga until 1999. That is exactly what we know of Snoke now.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right, I misread. I could have sworn the OP said prequel trilogy. When it comes to the OT, yes, it's totally true. Personally though, I still would have liked a little bit more background.

JRoss likes this.
  6. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could’ve done so much more with Luke, n if he was gonna die anyway why not actually be there? Why project yourself over thousands of light years. Why hide a map for people to find you if you’re not gonna leave the island anyway? That you ‘came here to die’ so basically he wanted someone to find his dead body? Plot holes and bad writing!

They could’ve had him raise the x-wing one last time n actually go help his sister n if he somehow died as a result it’d have been more heroic, more ‘Luke’ than what we were given.

I love the new characters, their progression between the two movies but the treatment of Luke was just bad, really bad! Even Mark Hamill agrees, who better to know the character than the character himself?

Hound of UIster likes this.
  7. JRoss

To show Luke becoming a force for peace, rather than for killing. He actually delivered on the premise of the Jedi as a benevolent order. And this, along with Yoda calling down lightning shows the heights of power that Luke is reaching.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  8. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

There are many who feel that Luke Skywalker deserved a far better post ROTJ destiny than these films gave him. That's not hating, that's not harping and it carries much merit. But hey thanks just the same for starting an entire thread just to tell people they are wrong and in some way deficient for not thinking and believing exactly the way that you do.

USS Firefly and Hound of UIster like this.
  9. JRoss

Being wrong doesn't make anyone deficient.

Qonundrum likes this.
  10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Han deserved better too. But I think this goes to the problem of the sequels in that it's build on subverting and tearing down what the OT built and reverting it all back to the status quo of plucky Rebels vs evil Empire.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

That is indeed how I feel It

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Amen. I was ASTONISHED to see a vocal minority of folks picking and attacking, and then was more astonished to see what motivated their complaints: subjective judgment.

OOF! When did Star Wars fans become Star Trek fans?

Qonundrum and Campe like this.
  13. JRoss

Of all the things, right? And now there are actual reports of Anon and Reddit folks possibly gaming the system to make the score look bad. Turns out the the live theater polls are giving high marks to the film. The bad scores are coming from sites where people can create fake accounts to vote multiple times against it. And this campaign must have been coordinated BEFORE the film came out, since the score was immediate.

I originally wrote this post for someone else because even though his son asked him to see the film he was considering not taking the kid based on what other people said about it.

Anyway, Screenrant has an intersting article: https://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-last-jedi-audience-score-fake/

Deadline does, too, but I can't remember the link.

14. Jedi_Master

Ugh. I have already noticed that some of my friends "read the reviews" before watching the film, and they come out complaining about stuff that amazingly enough corresponds EXACTLY to the primary lines of "attack."
    It's discouraging.

Campe and JRoss like this.
  15. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

But sadly unsurprising based on the sheer amount of fan entitlement going on these days. "It's not what *I* want as a fan, so it has to suck!"

Jedi_Master likes this.
  16. Jedi_Master

No. The amount of effort people put into crafting their fan theory videos seems to be directly correlated to the amount of rage when the actual film gets it "wrong."

Campe and JRoss like this.
  17. JRoss

18. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or it might be that people genuinely don’t like the movie, and has nothing to do with Bots, anti-feminists et al.

19. JRoss

I'm sure some folks don't. It's not perfect (even though it's still the best one). But consider that there are like 55k bad votes on Rotten Tomatoes. A few bots can easily make up for the majority of those revies.

20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Executives at RottenTomatoes have stated that they have methods in place to watch for fake reviews, and they are confident that the user scores for TLJ are genuine.

Kor

Hound of UIster likes this.