If you could do things differently.....

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Crazyewok, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

So let's say DS9 wasn't being held back by the ineptitude of Berman.
    It had bigger budget and access to modern for technology.
    The producers wernt obssesed with treating the audiences as idiots.

How would you change DS9?

1) less use of stock footage in battles.
    2) sovereign class ships and intrepids in battles! We are not THAT stupid....
    3) DS9 should of started with a Miranda class in series 1 and got replaced by the defiant.
    4)more serialization ! That's what DS9 did best!
    5) more Garak!
    6) A separate dedicated crew for the defiant.
    7)A admiral eventually stationed on DS9
    8) Exploration of the Tzenkathi.
    9) Vist from the enterprise E
    10) A tie in with first contact.
    11) more exploration of the races that make up the dominion.
    12) see a fleshed out ground battle, actually seeing the mentioned hoppers and heavy artillery.
    13) No profit and lace, move along home, muse ect
    14) A official cannon tie in companion book with starmaps and ship lists.
    15) Gul Dukat not going super villain crazy.
    16) 10 seasons.....obviosuly.

Kilana2 likes this.
  2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure Berman was responsible for all of these.

1. If the budget were there, Berman would be all in for big special effects.
    2. Yes, Berman did keep recognizable ships (mostly) out of the series.
    3. I like that they graduate to their own class of ship. Mirandas suck!
    4. DS9 had the right type of serialization (let's not make it The Expanse), but Berman did have ways of making it that stories couldn't be pursued as the writers wanted.
    5. Garak didn't want to be a regular. Perhaps if he was offered the Worf money, Robinson would have thought differently, but even so, that was a studio decision, not Berman.
    6. Perhaps a few minor recurring characters for the Defiant would be nice, but that seems to have been on the writers.
    7. Ross was largely on DS9.
    8. Writers didn't seem to want to do them.
    9. Berman, yes, but I could have done without more crossovers. Maybe just a few extra guests at Worf's wedding would have been nice.
    10. It would have been great to get a cast member into one of the movies. Apparently, Quark had scenes in Nemesis, but they were cut. Berman tried.
    11. Perhaps, but it seems like it was on the writers.
    12. Budget … not entirely Berman's issue.
    13. Berman did not ask for those episodes.
    14. Not a Berman issue.
    15. Not a Berman issue.
    16. Sure, why not. Berman sucks!

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have ended the war part way through the final chapter. I wanted to see some kind of aftermath, and if Sisko really did have to go be with the prophets, then maybe that could still be the final episode. After reading the relaunch novels, I wanted DS9 to complete its mission to bring the Bajorans into the federation on the series.

Elephant999 likes this.
  4. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

1-3 these are really not that important to me. To me, see one phaser battle sequence, seen them all.
    4 Maybe somewhat more serialization. Not all though, I like having a mix of serial episodes and stand-alones.
    5 Garak's great, but only if there's really something for him to do. Don't get him out of bed and made up just so he can make a quip in Quark's.
    6 Yes, it stretches credibility that the Defiant doesn't have her own crew.
    7 Better yet, promote Sisko to admiral. I know in Star Trek getting promoted above Captain is supposed to make brain rot set in, but maybe Sisko can be the exception. The first 3 seasons, DS9 was a sleepy place and fine with a Commander as CO. But by the time Sisko was doing war planning for the entire sector, he was way above a captain's pay grade. Besides, if we put the Defiant with her own captain under him in point 6, Sisko needs to be an admiral.
    8 Depending on how they spend their time. Exploration is naturally sidelined by the time they're putting all their effort into the war.
    9 That would be cool.
    10 Maybe.
    11 Or a return visit to "The Quickening" planet and see how they're doing.
    12 Meh. Not really that important to me, and I'm sure it would be hard to figure out weapons that are appropriate to technology that we've seen that would be appropriate to ground battle.
    13 It's easy to say 'don't make episodes that suck' but unfortunately it's harder to do. Schedules and budgets are very demanding, but that's how series television is made. Perhaps if it was a miniseries where they made a 4-hour show to air Monday-Thursday nights every three months it would be easier to write and make more interesting plots and go into more depth for the guest characters. But it's hard to say, you'd think the movies would be better than the TV shows too, but I think their batting average is actually worse.
    14 The unofficial books we have seem pretty good to me.
    15 Yes! Dukat was great as a character on the borderline between slimy and doing the best he could at the time! Too bad they messed that up.
    16 Maybe. As much as I would have liked more DS9, 10 years is a huge chunk of an actor's, writer's or director's career. How many TV shows that have had 10-year runs have really been great during the last couple of years?

5. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I would have wanted more stories with the main crew only.
    Some stories that come to mind, the one with the bitchy, Whiney blond girl that floated, Bashir tried to hit it with her.
    I wanted her to fall out an airlock.

The super intelligent girl that couldn't talk and Bashir fixed her head then hit it with her. She was less annoying and I was glad that she left. But the story as the one above seemed stupid and pointless.

No mirror universe and no Vic Fontain.
    No Jadzia Worf relationship, way to much time wasted on that.

No visit to Ezri's planet, it was nice having her, but with only one season I couldn't really get into caring about her family problems.

6. Epicnuns

Epicnuns Cadet Newbie

This is the only Star Trek that i would change a quite a lot in. I felt that, since this is the only one on a space station that wasn’t exactly the most mobile thing, the scenery wasn’t changing enough. (Seems like a very unpopular opinion, im sorry.)

Other things i wouldnt change are:

• I wouldnt kill off Jadzia, I would’ve kept her on. Unfortunately Ezri didn’t get enough time to really express herself as a character.

• No Worf/Jadzia relationship. If there had to be a relationship between Jadzia and anyone it would’ve been nice to see one between Jadzia and Bashir.

• I wouldn’t of gave Sisko that ending. I felt terrible for Jake and Kasidy. I read somewhere that he does come back and Kasidy gives birth to another child (if anyone has any information or links to this it would be great)

• MORE GARAK! I read earlier in the thread that this was because the actor didnt want to have more screen time which was fair enough.

This is all i could think of right now without stealing other peoples ideas.

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I would say more Ezri. :)
    I had a huge crush on her and the more of her, the better.

kkt likes this.
  8. Crazyewok

Never said it was all his fault, only his meddling was one factor among many.

9. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    It seems to me that TPTB disliked the moral complexity or something. Otherwise, why dumb down season 7? Dukat went from a multi-layered alien antagonist/sometimes ally to a moustache-twirling caricature. Campy villains are great for marvelous comic-book shows like Gotham (which I love with a passion), but even for Gotham, season 7 Dukat would be overdoing it. I don't want that in my ST shows, though. Sisko went from a three-dimensional person making morally ambiguous decisions (and mistakes) to a bona fide messiah spouting shit like BUT THIS IS EVILLLLLL!!!! * thunderclap * (paraphrasing here). I would change that. The whole "Sisko was conceived by the Prophets as part of a prophecy" bullshit not only makes no sense, it's also ridiculous and annoys me. I don't know whose idea this change was, but it was stupid and I hate it.

/rant

10. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

I would show more about the Dominion, where the Vorta and Jem'Hadar come from, it's members and its worlds in the Gamma Quadrant.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    NewHeavensNewEarth and Kilana2 like this.
  11. Elephant999

Elephant999 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1) This didn’t lessen my enjoyment and I didn’t really notice at times.
    2) and 3). Nah, not bothered.
    4) Not sure about more serialisation. The Dominion war arc went on far too long.
    5) Definately more Garak!
    6) Yes, it was a ridiculous notion that the senior staff from the station would always decamp to the Defiant.
    7) 8) Not bothered.
    9) Would have liked to seen more crossovers with TNG.
    10) Apart from Worf conveniently dropping in, the films did DS9 a grave injustice.

I would have liked to have seen less Bajoran religion, what the Breen actually looked like, no Ezri, Dukat not turned into a parody of himself, Kai Winn shot out of an airlock.

12. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe a follow-up episode with Laas.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  13. Elephant999

Yeah I wonder what happened to him.

14. Crazyewok

Less aliens of the week.

DS9 is not TNG or voyager.

It's should of introduced fewer aliens and instead explored the ones it did introduce indeph.

It would of been much more intresting to see more on the Tosk or the Tzenkathi.
    Maybe bring in the tholians that where always being mentioned.

I would of traded that rather than duds like wadi or those phase shifting aliens jadiza nearly joined.

NewHeavensNewEarth likes this.
  15. CommanderRaytas

I'd quite forgotten about the miraculously vanishing planet aliens. Ugh.

kkt likes this.
  16. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

You can read about Laas' fate in the DS9 relaunch novels.....

Elephant999 likes this.
  17. Elephant999

Yes, another perfect Star Trek world. Reminded me of the perfect people in TNG’s Justice. :barf:

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  18. CommanderRaytas

Didn't this Planet of the Aryan Nation ep follow Code of Honour? Because that would make it even worse. :vulcan:

19. Elephant999

It was a couple of episodes apart but both are forever etched in my mind for being fantastic episodes with amazing writing, NOT!

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  20. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I would not change a thing!