If DS9 was produced today

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by dub, Aug 21, 2014.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know this is from a video game, and I know it's cartoony...but just seeing this, the beauty of these totally fake sets and the "camera" movement makes me think how awesome DS9 as a series could look if it were produced today with the advances in the quality and realism of CG work over just the past few years. Obviously it would look better and more realistic than this, but this video just made me think...wow. What if.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-tktFpbtc[/yt]

Granted, I thought DS9 was beautiful with the sets they had. But they could probably do a even more or perhaps have more freedom now.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9's "pro-terrorist" stance would be a problem, especially with all the executions going on in Iraq currently.

:)

3. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

Kira was a reformed terrorist...;)

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

5. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A previously peaceful people fighting back against decades of occupation and having that fresh in mind and witnessing the pain of that (to some degree on both sides) is FAR different than a group whose goal is to kill as many people as possible who disagree with their beliefs retaliating against a country who is trying to do its part to help eliminate that madness.

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right. As the adage goes, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

7. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

If Kira were making attacks on Cardassia I might call her a terrorist, but I don't consider someone fighting invaders on their own home a terrorist.
    It is interesting to think of what else might be done differently though. Off the top of my head, Jadzia Dax would be openly bisexual from the beginning probably.

8. RainKing

RainKing Lieutenant Red Shirt

Idris Elba as Commander/Captain Sisko. Nailed it.

I don't think/know if they're going to make any more Luther, but man was he an amazingly watchable badass in that.

He's probably the only Sisko replacement that wouldn't leave me pining for Hawk.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It really depends what network it was on. Something syndicated to small networks wouldn't be as courageous as DS9 were but something on cable networks would be more courageous.

For Kira's situation to be at all similar to the kind of terrorism currently in the news, Kira would have had to try to blow anyone up for not believing in the Prophets.

10. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I have said before, Idris Elba for whatever new Trek series is produced: Bermanverse, JJverse, RDMverse, ...

11. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

What would you call Islamic Insurgents who were fighting US and UK forces during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan this past decade? From the insurgents POV,the US and UK forces were occupiers and invaders. This didn't stop islamic extremist from blowing up schools, roads, public places that were inhabited by their fellow countrymen and suicide bombing in an attempt to fight the US and UK armed forces.

Defining terror tactics in to what is permissible/excusable and what are extreme acts of murder, is a slippery slope.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Kira was a freedom fighter, not a terrorist. The Cardassians were the terrorists in this case. I've never understood why they classified Kira as one.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Kira didn't just attack military targets. She was very explicit that civilians were a legitimate target, and anybody who was helping the Cardassians in any form was a legitimate target. Although in the context she was talking about collateral damage from attacks against military targets.

The Cardassians I would classify more as invaders/slavers. Terrorist implies you're not fighting out in the open and that your enemy is stronger than you are.

One difference between the Bajoran resistance and the insurgency though is what they intended to do if they won. Fighting to free people versus fighting to become savage dictators.

14. doctorfoto

doctorfoto Commodore Commodore

I had no idea they played so much air piano on the station.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Apart from being over-sized, I'm not seeing anything the show didn't already have. (Except for the airlock that leads downwards.) I prefer the real sets, personally. But less-expensive CGI could certainly have helped out with the false backdrops at the ends of corridors and the promenade.

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's wishful thinking (well, the thread is already wishful thinking), but I've found that AMC dramas tend to be really great about muddying the line between black and white, to explore the gray areas of morality.

Of course, a premium channel would get away with more; probably even flashier SFX.

17. Kobayshi Maru

Whose home it is, is a matter of debate. There will always be someone there, who was there before (unless they had been exterminated).

The symbionts are bisexual by nature. Every person who's joined, has memories of having sex with both genders. You can't be comfortable with that if you aren't at least a little bit bisexual yourself.

18. Kobayshi Maru

I think it's a biased simplistic view of what's going on. The Americans (especially) have been a manipulative, oppressive, exploiting force for very long. It was foreseeable that the least helpless victims of their corporate pillaging would eventually revolt and give them a taste of their own medicine. Still, the Americans have so far been able to give ten blows for one received, to take ten eyes for one taken. For the three thousand lives lost on 9/11 they've taken hundreds of thousands, ironically of people unrelated to the attack. But who cares as long as they get... revenge.

19. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aliens invaded Bajor, starved, murdered and enslaved the populace. There is no such thing as terrorism when fighting that sort of evil.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Not even close.

But thank you for playing.

:)