Poll If CBS and Viacom merge and Kurtzman takes over the movies, what film do you want to see most?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Butter Phantom, Apr 29, 2019.

?

If CBS and Viacom merge and Kurtzman takes over the movies, what film do you want to see most?

1. A completely new film with new characters and settings, written Day One for the big screen

2. A continuation of an existing Prime series, given a movie budget

3. A 4th Kelvin movie

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Butter Phantom

The Butter Phantom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Poll is open!

I like the idea of Star Trek (as a franchise) permanently moving to the 32nd / 33rd Century once Picard's story is completed, so I would like a completely original film with new characters and settings set in the new time period.

2. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

If we're talking immediate future, I'm not sure if it's a hot idea to throw a lot of money at a Star Trek movie right now. Star Trek Beyond was well received both critically and by the fans that actually went out and saw it. But it didn't even make $400 million worldwide. Unless you're talking about significantly cutting budget compared to the previous Kelvin films, I just don't see it being profitable. And if you can't fair well with the franchise characters at the box office, no way in heck would you be able to make money with new characters and a new setting.

Another option would be to make a movie specifically for direct release on CBS All Access, similar to the Netflix original movies. Although CBS All Access doesn't have near the subscriber base Netflix has, so I'm not sure how much money they'd be willing to throw out a direct-to-streaming Trek picture.

3. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

But... if we're just talking hypothetically... I still want some Phase II era stuff!! With new actors, of course. And upgraded sets that still retain hints of the original design intent (etc. Discovery's Enterprise bridge)

4. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel we should have had more options in the poll. Me the Tarantino film is what I want most. After that is a Kelvinverse movie and I liked the idea meeting his dad. If not then another story would be fine. Even a spin-off movie. I always like the idea of doing a movie with just Spock and Uhura from those movies doing their own story.

Other than that a complete remake that feels nothing like any Trek we have ever seen.

Jason

Tim Thomason likes this.
  5. The Butter Phantom

That would have been a Kelvin film, I thought? So just vote Option 3.

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

D. The next one, whatever it is. :techman:

7. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    This is going to give me nightmares.

8. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

The Kelvin universe is clearly dead. TNG era will be continued in the Picard series. So I suppose that leaves us with new characters in a new setting, though what that will be I can't imagine. Who will go to a Star Trek movie without Kirk and Spock or Picard and Data?

9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

We didn't know that for sure. And, frankly, Quentin Tarantino's style and the Kelvin Films don't make for a natural-looking fit. Tarantino is pure Rated R. The Kelvin Films are PG-13 to the core. Plus, if Tarantino wants to do things his way, he should have the liberty to be able to do it from the ground up.

I want Tarantino Trek for the next movie. It would either be entertaining because it'd be so good or entertaining because it'd be so hilariously bad. Either way, I'd get my money's worth, and I'd probably watch it several times.

How can someone not get a kick out of this? :devil: :devil: :devil:

guyute03 likes this.
  10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

For profitability’s sake, maybe they could make a movie with a brand-new cast of young misfits and try copying the Marvel formula?

Other than that, I’d love a 4th Kelvin.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

At the rate they're going, I fully expect purists to complain about the crew not being in Monster Maroons and how Kirk doesn't have dark, wavy hair. :p

12. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They've never done a new setting and new characters in a film. I wouldn't expect them to start now. Still, if they were to continue a previous series in film, they'd need to pass the torch to a younger set of characters.

13. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One that Kurtzman has no say/control over.
    Maybe wardrobe still has Kirk's dark, wavy hair in a box somewhere.

Lord Garth likes this.
  14. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Fourth Kelvin movie on the 1701-A that was launched in Beyond. I am surprised they did not break a champagne bottle on it's hull in STBeyond.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  15. DS9ers

DS9ers Lieutenant Red Shirt

1) I would prefer a final Kelvin TOS film to finish up the series
    2) I would love to see a new trilogy of movies that follow up on Prime TNG
    - But them messing around with Star Trek: Picard will probably prevent that
    3) I would also like to see the QT movie get made.

16. Disco!Disco!

Disco!Disco! Commander Red Shirt

Forget theaters. Direct-to-streaming movies with much lower budgets than the Kelvin films.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  17. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

The Tarantino film, which as I understand it would be the fourth Kelvin film.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  18. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Misfits? A establishment billionaire in the defense industry, the heir apparent to a royal throne, a scientist with multiple university degrees, a patriotic military officer, and two career US government intelligence operatives.

Misfits?
    If he does do it, it won't be a "Kelvin film," it will be a Tarantino film. Tarantino will create his own Star Trek universe, not play in someone elses.

Lord Garth likes this.
  19. The Butter Phantom

It was a Bad Robot project and seemed to have the Kelvin cast involved. But yeah, it could have been something else than Kelvin.

20. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'll be in the Star Trek universe regardless of whether Tarantino casts Chris Pine or Tim Roth in the lead role. If he uses the Kelvin cast and Kelvin sets, it'll probably be a "Kelvin film" even if he completely upends the style to his own liking and preference.

I don't think he cares enough about timelines and canon to go out and create some elaborate scenario a la Star Trek 2009. He'll just tell his story.