IDW formally announces Sulu comic

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sto-Vo-Kory, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

AWESOME :techman:. Any bets on the featured Captain's in this series? I'm hoping for one on Riker (Andy Mangels?), and hopefully one on Calhoun (Peter David?) . My other wish would be Hikaru Sulu, but it seems they read my mind ;). I wouldn't mind one with Kira in a post-Unity story either, or even one with Demora Sulu.

It doesn't say how long the series is slated to last, or whether or not the Tiptons will write the whole series. It says that the series is by the same team that brought us Spock: Reflections, but they could just mean issue #1. I hope it's like the Alien Spotlight series with various writers and artists...

3. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From what I've read, the Captain's Log series will follow the same structure as the Alien Spotlight series -- one-shots with each issue focusing on a different Captain, with a rotating creative team on each story.

Chances are good that we'll see a Riker issue soon -- if various sources are correct.

4. Andy Mangels

Andy Mangels Writer Red Shirt

I've pitched to IDW and had a meeting with them at SDCC, but nothing has happened yet.

5. lstyer

lstyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This sounds like fun. I like the idea of more Captain Sulu stuff, and the anthology format could be neat.

To be honest, I'd be even more interested in a miniseries focused on Capt. Sulu along the lines of John Byrne's Crew, with several one-shot stories by the same creative team.

6. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    I would love an Archer issue and finally see the ENT crew in comic book form, but the last time I wrote to them they said they didn't have the rights for ENT...which sounded strange to me. Isn't Star Trek...Star Trek? I guess anything is possible, though.

I'm thrilled about Sulu, though. After Archer, he's my favorite captain.

7. lstyer

lstyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Apparently not, though it strikes me as odd, too. For a while in, like, the 90s, one company was publishing DS9 comics and another TOS and TNG. I think Marvel had DS9 and DC had TOS/TNG. From what I've read IDW only recently got the rights to DS9 even though they've been doing TOS and TNG for a few years.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Each series in the Star Trek franchise is a distinct entity, with its own distinct title and creators and whatnot, and thus the rights are separate.

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is, indeed, Star Trek. Except when it's Star Trek.

But Star Trek: The Next Generation is not Star Trek, it's Star Trek: The Next Generation. And Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is not Star Trek -- it's Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.And Star Trek: Voyager is not Star Trek -- it's Star Trek: Voyager.And Star Trek: Enterprise is not Star Trek -- it's Star Trek: Enterprise.

Etc.

10. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the mini is 6 issues, I'd love to see:

Captain Sulu
    Captain Riker
    Captain Picard (Enterprise-E)
    Captain Kirk (Enterprise-A)
    Captain Pike
    Captain Kira

Alternates could be Captain April or Captain Dax.

11. Captain59

I actually followed this and understand.

12. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

and I see a DS9 comic there.

I thought they didn;t have the rights.....?

13. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They recently acquired the rights to DS9 and will be launching the first DS9 mini-series in December titles "Fool's gold" also on December will be an Alien Spotlight featuring the Cardassians. This story will be post DS9 finale and will feature Garak and Kira

14. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This series will probably last 5 issues, so after the Sulu story we can expect 4 more issues. I would like to see in the other four issues

1. Capt. Calhoun on the Excalibur
    2. Capt. Riker in the Titan
    3. Capt. Dax on the Aventine
    4. Capt. Robau on the Kelvin.

Other Captains for future issues could be Pike, April, Garrett, Jellico, Picard on the Stargazer, Ben Maxwell on the Pheonix.

Captain Data in the Countdown story line would also be interesting.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah a Robau issue would be cool. I'd love to see Riker, Calhoun, Stargazer Picard, (if we include books) Calhoun, and Kira. If we were to expand it to include commanders of things other than a Starship I would love a Vanguard comic focusing on Reyes, before or after Open Secrets.
    Although, after OS he might not be in command of anything

16. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

In that vein, I'd like to see David R. George III write a story featuring either Demora Sulu or John Harriman, or David Mack write one starring Ezri Dax aboard the Aventine. I've never bought a Star Trek comic, but I would buy those.

(I would've bought New Voyages and Starfleet Academy, too, if I'd red them when they were originally released.)

17. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Commodore Commodore

There must, Must be a Captain Riker story. Anything less would be a crime. [/nerdrage]

Aaron McGuire

18. KirkSpockTOSFan

KirkSpockTOSFan Captain Captain

I would like to see one on Captain Kirk, not just TOS era but the movie era as well. I also like to see one on Captain Spock as well. Spock became Captain long after Kirk got promted. Anyways I love to see a Captain serirs or book based on each of those as both Kirk and Spock are my most favorites!

19. Captain59

Wow...there are lots of captains out there to choose from...some I've never even heard of before. Harriman, Demora Sulu, and Riker would be great. And Robau, too. I guess I'm the only one who wants an Archer issue. Guess that ain't gonna to happen.

20. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Oh my!"
    (Seriously? 20 posts and I'm the first one to go there?)

I'd love an Archer issue as well. Perhaps toward the end of his captaincy, when he considers running for President, or when he learns they'll be building a new Enterprise. . .